News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/28 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post Show Discussion and Review

Started by susep, December 29, 2013, 11:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

emay

5:58-7:30 gives me hope for phish.

awesome stuff.

rest of the jam. meh.

McGrupp

Quote from: mbw on January 12, 2014, 05:08:25 PM
so $$

between the echoplex/whatever effects trey was using during this jam and how loud the crowd got, you could barely hear anything. it was just  loud noise and extremely intense energy. the room was blowing up. one of my fav moments of the run imo
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

emay

Quote from: McGrupp on January 13, 2014, 02:10:26 AM
Quote from: mbw on January 12, 2014, 05:08:25 PM
so $$

between the echoplex/whatever effects trey was using during this jam and how loud the crowd got, you could barely hear anything. it was just  loud noise and extremely intense energy. the room was blowing up. one of my fav moments of the run imo

See those types of jams, I have a love/hate relationship with.
I love it gets the energy going, people start freakin out and cheering like they think its going to a type 2 jam, which I guess these jams are like the new 3.0 type 2 jam.
But, after the mark that I mentioned, the rest of the jam just feels like its just a buncha noise and feedback and loops. Not really any jedi moves going on, rest of the band is kinda in sync with whats going on (they are all just making noise which is pretty much all thats going on), the jam isnt going into any musical direction just a buncha noise. I noticed this several times over fall tour where I thought the jam was going somewhere but instead trey just starts making loops and noises and then all kinda notes and rythm stops and it just becomes feedback and noise. Its kinda lazy imo since from that noise doesnt come any other modulated or themed jam, it usually results in transition to another song, or just ripchord'd. Gets pretty boring to me.
I felt in at least 99-04 where trey decided to bring the jam into a buncha loops and noise, they would come outta that with an extended jam that keeps moving and growing instead of just using it to end a jam.

rowjimmy

See, I kinda feel that this version of Steam is the one where they finally got it right.
The song is solid, concrete, and hangs together well.

Then the jam that comes out of it after 4.5mins is tight and dark. The 'Careful With That Axe' screams from Fish are perfect.
Creepy.
Then things get a bit more... nebulous. The intensity and weirdness meter rises and pegs out.
But Fish never lets up on the drums, Mike stays in tight, and they nail that drop at 10:43 which allows them to return to finish the tune.

I love it.

Superfreakie

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 13, 2014, 01:51:26 PM
The 'Careful With That Axe' screams from Fish are perfect.

was sitting here thinking where have I heard this before.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

birdman

That noise and chaos  is what I live for.
It usually results in having to locate  ones own face.
Paug FTMFW!

emay

Quote from: birdman on January 13, 2014, 06:57:40 PM
That noise and chaos  is what I live for.
It usually results in having to locate  ones own face.

right.
which is why its a love/hate relationship for me  :-D
it does give me this tingling rise in energy feeling when I witness it live.
And there are couple versions of it where they actually come out of "the noise" and contiune into a sick jam.
Will return with examples when I do some research but the Reading 20 YL and some hampton jams come to mind.
(Maybe the tweez? hartford tweez or golden age, the big AC jams carini, ghost)

mbw

i really didn't hear any noise there.  there was a solid locked in groove which allowed trey to go nuts.
there was no 'shredding' going on but he utilized his effects properly (not just random whaling), hits all the right notes for the moment and creates a totally psychedelic, impending doom type of vibe a la fall 95. a face melter as birdman said.  then they stick the landing.  this might be one of my fav 3.0 jams.

redrum

See, I kinda feel that this version of Steam is the one where they finally got it right.

Steam.... "the right way"

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :wink:
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

rowjimmy

Quote from: redrum on January 13, 2014, 09:27:13 PM

Steam.... "the right way"

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard  :wink:

What can I say that Terry didn't just?

Quote from: mbw on January 13, 2014, 08:22:20 PM
i really didn't hear any noise there.  there was a solid locked in groove which allowed trey to go nuts.
there was no 'shredding' going on but he utilized his effects properly (not just random whaling), hits all the right notes for the moment and creates a totally psychedelic, impending doom type of vibe a la fall 95. a face melter as birdman said.  then they stick the landing.  this might be one of my fav 3.0 jams.

McGrupp

Totally agree with Terry, RJ, Birdman, etc

the energy in that room during steam was insane. If you haven't listened to an AUD, you haven't heard the jam.

Really incredible stuff. There was a good 60 seconds where it was almost uncomfortably awesome. I was also high. But the replay value is high, too.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WhatstheUse?

Agree with McGrupp that it sounded much different there than listening back to this sbd.

A good minute was basically Inaudible noise. Could really distinguish between instruments , just a wall of sound

It was sick.
Bring in the dude!

emay

will have to listen back to this AUD cuz im not hearing anything groundbreaking in this sdb track.
The crowd noise will probably add some energy to it.

GBL

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on January 14, 2014, 09:46:12 AM
will have to listen back to this AUD cuz im not hearing anything groundbreaking in this sdb track.
The crowd noise will probably add some energy to it.
If this is love, I'm never going home..