News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/31 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, January 01, 2014, 01:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatapiper

12/31 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY

Set I: AC/DC Bag, A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing, Wilson, Divided Sky, Ocelot, Sugar Shack, Halfway To The Moon, %Fluffhead

Set II: &Glide, Llama, ^Col. Forbin's Ascent > ^*Fly Famous Mockingbird, Fuck Your Face, Reba, Icculus, Lizards, Split Open and Melt

Set III: Character Zero > Auld Lang Syne, Fuego > $Light, 20 Years Later, Bouncing Around The Room, You Enjoy Myself

E: # Grind, Show of Life

% Post song Trey and co handed out some 30th anniversary cake.  Fishman video to follow concluding with his white Jemp van pulling into The Garden with the roof appearing to be torn off, during set break a stage has Ben assembled on said roof
& Second Set being performed on Jemp van
^ LST 8/17/11 - 86 show gap
* No narration
$ ASIHTOS teases
# 30 year retrospective video played before Grind

Streams: http://www.livephish.com/phish/New-Years-2013-MSG-Webcast.asp

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

rowjimmy

GBL

I thought it was amazing..

No one didn't like the 2nd set..

I thought the 3rd set and encore were definitely a statement

Loved it
If this is love, I'm never going home..

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

jasonsobel

sing me back home before I die

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Gumbo72203

about as close to a Gamehendge as we're likely to get now. 

My 100% sober thoughts:

A) set 2 makes you appreciate their modern equipment a lot more
B) set 2 makes me realize that they are a much different band than they were in the 80s, technically-speaking
C) lots

HOLY SHIT THE 12/30 GHOST!!!  WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry thats what I'm listening to now.  OMG that Ghost!!!

Anyway, the jamming in the 2nd set was a little iffy to me.  Llama had some nice energy, and the jam in Split Open AND MELT!!!!!  YES!!  The song is officially finally back, because the band finally found something during the jam to latch onto as a group. 

The Light jam was really good, too.  Fuego was a fucking mess, obviously.  Bouncin' was AWESOME.  They played it a shard faster than normal, and that made SUCH a difference.  I fucking LOVED that Bouncing Around The Room.  Don't skip on this version.  Its awesome. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

whatapiper

Well I had a blast watching last night.  Second set what more has to be said? Third set I enjoyed tremendously, what an exclamation point for the year, the boys have exceeded expectations I couldn't be happier.  Phish is still phish, can't wait to drag the family to a couple shows this summer. 
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

emay

Augustus

I like how the gag was more of a nod and not in the typical 3rd set spot.
No frills and no music was lost with golf balls.
Good stuff.

VDB

I watched the second set this morning, thank you mbw. Super cool. I'd love to know how that was all pulled together technically. Second best NYE stunt evar. (How can you top Big Cypress?)
Is this still Wombat?