News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

replacing ( or repairing) a printer for my folks, any advice?

Started by VA $l!m, March 28, 2014, 06:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

hey now. me again.  :wtu:

my folks old printer is not feeding correctly.
i told them it would be cheaper to buy a new one than getting it repaired, lol.

it still prints but they have to forcibly feed the tray to get it to grasp i think.... i wanted to take it apart and look but i cant really do it right now and id just be looking for the obvious anyway.

--what yall think?
dont you think we could find a super cheap printer thatd work and save the hassle?

all they want is a basic all in 1 printer, for an old dell desktop runnin XP.
one that scans/ faxes ... the basics. color inkjet...

any thoughts - recommmendations appreciated.
k, peace. :-)

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

The problem is probably a pickup roller. These can concievably be obtained but you'd likely have to do some serious digging the identify the proper part and then cop it from eBay. 

As for replacement:
All-in-one units like that can be quite cheap if you watch for a sale...

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 28, 2014, 07:17:53 PM
The problem is probably a pickup roller. These can concievably be obtained but you'd likely have to do some serious digging the identify the proper part and then cop it from eBay. 

As for replacement:
All-in-one units like that can be quite cheap if you watch for a sale...
pretty much what i was thinking.
i figure ill just search around for a sale and theres always a cheap on somewhere.
thanks.

VDB

My opinion (fed by experience) is we've gotten to the point now where it's just cheaper and easier to replace a printer than repair it... but then they break more often because they're so cheap in the first place. Vicious circle.
Is this still Wombat?

VA $l!m

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on March 28, 2014, 08:14:09 PM
My opinion (fed by experience) is we've gotten to the point now where it's just cheaper and easier to replace a printer than repair it... but then they break more often because they're so cheap in the first place. Vicious circle.
no doubt

PIE-GUY

Part of why printers are so artificially cheap is the profit margin on ink. That's not changing any time soon.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VA $l!m

Quote from: PG on March 28, 2014, 11:47:16 PM
Part of why printers are so artificially cheap is the profit margin on ink. That's not changing any time soon.
QFT

thats exactly what i ended trying to explain to my mother,  :-)

they actually are going to save money probably b/c they are using a Dell printer now and it oonly take expensive dell ink.
so they;ll pay off a new printer in like one ink cartridge purchase.

*-- Does anyone know a good value brand for ink that would work with most printers?
i told my mom she might want to just pick a printer based on what ink she can get cheapest locally or whatever.

mattstick

Not buying ink refills at big box stores is a good way to save money on ink refills.

Check out www.compandsave.com

VA $l!m

Quote from: mattstick on March 29, 2014, 08:33:54 AM

Not buying ink refills at big box stores is a good way to save money on ink refills.

Check out www.compandsave.com
thanks matt :-)

Caravan2001

printers are dirt cheap....That said, if you can locate the pickup roller, you can sometimes buy a little more life out of it by getting after it with a pencil eraser.  If it is totally worn (flat spots), you probably need to replace it, but I am sure you can find a printer in good shape on craigs for $40...I see them all the time at goodwill too....