News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Who Can Backfill Jon Stewart???

Started by PIE-GUY, February 10, 2015, 09:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

I'm at a loss! Who has the gravitas necessary to fill those shoes??

I'm really saddened to see him go, but I can't say I'm surprised. It's been almost 20 years!

Let the wild speculation begin.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

ytowndan

I almost feel bad for the next guy/gal.  They're going to go through a long period of constant comparison to Jon, and it won't even begin to ease up until they settle comfortably into their own voice.  Who knows how long that will take. It'll be brutal.

That being said, if we're choosing from one of the current cast members, I'd pick Jessica Williams. I love her.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Hicks

Terrible news, but hopefully he has something up his sleeve coming up. 

Samantha Bee has more than paid her dues and deserves a shot, she's really the only one I can even think of doing remotely well. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

I was thinking Samantha Bee too.
I think a woman should take the chair.

mistercharlie

FAKKK!

First Colbert, now Stewart!! Where will i get my news without wanting to jump through the screen and slap the newscaster.

I'd like to see Wyatt Cenac give it a go, or even let Jon Oliver come back and host like he did when Jon took his vacation this past summer.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

You can bet hbo will do everything they can to keep John Oliver and going from hbo back to comedy central is kind of a step down, so I don't think that's gonna happen.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

I saw some Linkbait article that suggested Chris Rock, Tina/Amy, Seth McFarlane and Joel McHale as possible replacements.

McHale makes some sense...

kellerb

mbw

Quote from: Hicks on February 11, 2015, 10:00:20 AM
You can bet hbo will do everything they can to keep John Oliver and going from hbo back to comedy central is kind of a step down, so I don't think that's gonna happen.

plus he has the easiest gig in town.  2 mil a year for a half hour show once a week.

cactusfan

Quote from: mbw on February 11, 2015, 11:15:55 AM
Quote from: Hicks on February 11, 2015, 10:00:20 AM

plus he has the easiest gig in town.  2 mil a year for a half hour show once a week.

yeah, Oliver isn't going anywhere.

Kristen Schaal would be an interesting choice. she's always great.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Hicks on February 11, 2015, 02:18:48 AM
Terrible news, but hopefully he has something up his sleeve coming up. 

Samantha Bee has more than paid her dues and deserves a shot, she's really the only one I can even think of doing remotely well.
Quote from: rowjimmy on February 11, 2015, 07:06:33 AM
I was thinking Samantha Bee too.
I think a woman should take the chair.

Yup.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mbw

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mistercharlie

Quote from: mattstick on February 11, 2015, 10:35:24 AM

I saw some Linkbait article that suggested Chris Rock, Tina/Amy, Seth McFarlane and Joel McHale as possible replacements.

McHale makes some sense...

I approve of both of those, but would most like the Tina/Amy route.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sls.stormyrider

I can't see Tina / Amy doing it

another vote for Samantha Bee
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."