News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Who Can Backfill Jon Stewart???

Started by PIE-GUY, February 10, 2015, 09:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

It seems that Sam Bee is going to be hosting her own satirical news show, but it won't be The Daily Show. 

QuoteAccording to a statement from TBS, Bee will be hosting a brand-new show on their network "to apply her smart and satirical point of view to current and relevant issues." The statement continues:

Like her fans around the country, we absolutely adore everything about Sam, from her straight-faced sarcasm and ruthless wit to her uncanny ability to mine comedy gold from just about any awkward situation. After watching Sam's work for years, we knew that her distinctive humor and talent belong at the front of her own show.

On a related note, Jason Jones will be leaving to star in a sitcom he co-created with Bee -- also on TBS. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

ytowndan

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/trevor-noah-to-replace-jon-stewart-on-the-daily-115028993130.html

Didn't see that coming!  He'll be great, I think.  His Showtime special was fantastic, and I've enjoyed his small handful of Daily Show appearances. 

VA $l!m

Quote from: ytowndan on March 30, 2015, 05:44:29 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/trevor-noah-to-replace-jon-stewart-on-the-daily-115028993130.html

Didn't see that coming!  He'll be great, I think.  His Showtime special was fantastic, and I've enjoyed his small handful of Daily Show appearances.
yeah, i thought he seemed 'smart' at least in his DS pieces.
all the 'updating' of tv hosts of late mostly just makes me feel old.
its like "hey, now its the next generation's turn to own the airwaves".
wheel is turnin...
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mistercharlie

OK. That isn't anyone I was expecting at all, but he's funny, so I bet he'll be fine. I've had his standup on netflix in my queue for a while now, I need to find the time to watch it.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

zimbra

I'm excited about the replacement.  I'm glad they went with Noah instead of someone who has already sealed up their presence/opinions in media today.  It's a fresh start for one of my favorite programs on television. I wish football teams did this more often with their coaching staff.

ETA:  I watched his stand up last night on Netflix.  It's freaking hilarious...I laughed out loud in my apartment on multiple occasions.   
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

ytowndan

Can't believe it's all over tomorrow. 

Arby's aired this commercial during tonight's show.

phil

I love Trevor Noah's stand-up and I think he's a great comedian, but wouldn't it make more sense to have an American on the show? Like maybe one of the hilarious Americans who had already worked on the show for a long time?
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

rowjimmy

Quote from: phil on August 06, 2015, 09:44:35 AM
I love Trevor Noah's stand-up and I think he's a great comedian, but wouldn't it make more sense to have an American on the show? Like maybe one of the hilarious Americans who had already worked on the show for a long time?

I'm not saying your question is invalid but you're way too late for the discussion.

Like hilariously so.

But, seriously, why an American? It's not as if we are in charge of the news or comedy.

phil

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 06, 2015, 09:56:06 AM

I'm not saying your question is invalid but you're way too late for the discussion.

Like hilariously so.

But, seriously, why an American? It's not as if we are in charge of the news or comedy.

Yeah cable television isn't something I generally participate in so I am waaaaayyyyy out of the loop on things like this. I just figured that since most of the subject matter (and I may be wrong, haven't watched the Daily Show in quite a while) has to do with American news and politics that it would make more sense (to me) to have an American as the "anchor". But hey, if it's anything like the few snippets of John Olliver's show that I've seen, it'll probably turn out great
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: phil on August 06, 2015, 11:36:36 AM

Like hilariously so.

Yeah cable television isn't something I generally participate in so I am waaaaayyyyy out of the loop on things like this. I just figured that since most of the subject matter (and I may be wrong, haven't watched the Daily Show in quite a while) has to do with American news and politics that it would make more sense (to me) to have an American as the "anchor". But hey, if it's anything like the few snippets of John Olliver's show that I've seen, it'll probably turn out great

John Oliver isn't South African.

God damn it, get a hold of yourself, phil.
:wink:
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

rowjimmy

Quote from: runawayjimbo on August 06, 2015, 11:39:56 AM
Quote from: phil on August 06, 2015, 11:36:36 AM

Like hilariously so.

John Oliver isn't South African.

God damn it, get a hold of yourself, phil.
:wink:

Oliver is actually a US citizen

runawayjimbo

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

phil

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 06, 2015, 12:23:04 PM
Oliver is actually a US citizen

He's still one of them funny-talkers  :wink:

emay

VA $l!m

on a related note to this thread, Colbert has been killing it IMHO.
i hadnt watcheda network late show in over 10 years prob... i used to watch LEtterman in the 90s, but stopped.
anyway, Colbert has me hooked and i'm stoked to hae an hour of chilltime every night.
it's great they've basically let him do politics talk/schtick as his main news rundown in the first segment, along with some serious minded guests to go with the token celebrity pushing a movie or whatev.
love jon batiste and the fact colbert actually 'gets' music and the arts with the performance guests he schedules.

also, Trevor Noah isnt the worst, though still a really weird choice for the Daily Show.
The funny thing is most of the tme the show hasnt changed in the slightest. obviosuly the writers are still there and half the time the jokes / insights land exactly as they would have with JOn saying them.
They could put anyone at the desk and the main feel of the show stays the same.
Yeah, noone can replace Jon but the concept is stiill intact.at least.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-