News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Star Wars: The Force Awakens discussion

Started by VDB, December 19, 2015, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Any explanation that has Snoke and Vader being the same would completely undermine one of the main narrative arcs of the first six films though, wouldn't it?

I saw the movie again last night. I may have liked it more this go-around. Equally as much, at least. Lots of little things take on more significance when you know the full story, including, I think, some things that might seem troubling or too coincidental or convenient or left unsaid on a first viewing. This has me feeling that, as even more of the picture becomes clearer over the subsequent films, Force Awakens may not only hold up well but in fact strengthen.
Is this still Wombat?

blatboom

blatboom

Quote from: VDB on January 10, 2016, 11:29:59 AM
I saw the movie again last night. I may have liked it more this go-around. Equally as much, at least. Lots of little things take on more significance when you know the full story, including, I think, some things that might seem troubling or too coincidental or convenient or left unsaid on a first viewing. This has me feeling that, as even more of the picture becomes clearer over the subsequent films, Force Awakens may not only hold up well but in fact strengthen.

hell yeah. for me at least once I was able to step back from the emotional rush of the movie being such an enjoyable experience I was able to start appreciating what these actors brought to the table. Ridley, Boyega, Isaac and yes Driver (he's SUPPOSED to be emo - he's still in the process of turning!) and most definitely Ford give 100% genuine performances

Hicks

Any explanation that has Snoke and Vader being the same would completely undermine one of the main narrative arcs of the first six films though, wouldn't it?

Felt completely the opposite, no real desire to see it again in the theater after the second time around.  And that's coming from a guy who saw ep I and II in the theater at least three times each. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

phil

Quote from: Hicks on January 10, 2016, 11:40:14 AM

Felt completely the opposite, no real desire to see it again in the theater after the second time around.  And that's coming from a guy who saw ep I and II in the theater at least three times each.

Damn. I'm going to see it a 5th time on Tuesday. So far I've found something different to appreciate with each viewing, but that's probably because I've been doing lots of background reading that's made me want to go back and look for specific things in the film.

Quote from: mistercharlie on January 10, 2016, 11:05:47 AM
But we see Anakin/Vader's spirit/Force next to Yoda and Obi Wan at the end of Return of the Jedi, so that leads me to believe that he really is dead. However in the original Trilogy when a Jedi dies their bodies disappear (happened to both Obi and Yoda), however when Vader dies his body doesn't disappear. Wat up wit dat?

Making yourself into a "Force Ghost" is a jedi-only skill. I think since Anakin reverted to the light just before dying he was able to become a force ghost. The body not disappearing is a little confusing, it seems 50/50 on which bodies disappear and which stick around (Yoda and Obi-Wan disappear but Qui-Gon Jinn and Anakin/Vader don't)
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

kellerb

Yeah they'd have to have a pretty good explanation of how Vader ended up non-dead and also full-evil again.

Also, Ren has Vader's burnt/melted helmet and is a total Vader fan-boy.  Why would he not know Snoke is his grandpa and/or why wouldn't Snoke tell him. 

Hicks

Quote from: phil on January 10, 2016, 12:35:03 PM
Quote from: Hicks on January 10, 2016, 11:40:14 AM

Damn. I'm going to see it a 5th time on Tuesday. So far I've found something different to appreciate with each viewing, but that's probably because I've been doing lots of background reading that's made me want to go back and look for specific things in the film.

But we see Anakin/Vader's spirit/Force next to Yoda and Obi Wan at the end of Return of the Jedi, so that leads me to believe that he really is dead. However in the original Trilogy when a Jedi dies their bodies disappear (happened to both Obi and Yoda), however when Vader dies his body doesn't disappear. Wat up wit dat?

Making yourself into a "Force Ghost" is a jedi-only skill. I think since Anakin reverted to the light just before dying he was able to become a force ghost. The body not disappearing is a little confusing, it seems 50/50 on which bodies disappear and which stick around (Yoda and Obi-Wan disappear but Qui-Gon Jinn and Anakin/Vader don't)

You are trying really hard, I'll give you that. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Quote from: phil on January 10, 2016, 12:35:03 PM

Might have something to do with the degree of readiness/willingness on the part of the dying Jedi? We could probably debate whether Vader knew he was definitely sacrificing himself or not.
Is this still Wombat?

blatboom

I would hate for Luke's redemption of Anakin to be compromised in any way (beyond George pasting fucking Hayden Christensen in the final cut  :x :x :x ) but there has to be something more to Snoke to raise his street cred. I agree with the critiques that the guy did not fit in this movie at all. hope it's something deeper than him simply pulling the emperor's strings from the beginning/ Darth Plagius/ what have you.

zimbra

Quote from: kellerb on January 10, 2016, 12:57:31 PM

Yeah they'd have to have a pretty good explanation of how Vader ended up non-dead and also full-evil again.

Also, Ren has Vader's burnt/melted helmet and is a total Vader fan-boy.  Why would he not know Snoke is his grandpa and/or why wouldn't Snoke tell him.

Vader fan-boys are the worst!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VDB

Quote from: blatboom on January 10, 2016, 02:47:41 PM
there has to be something more to Snoke to raise his street cred. I agree with the critiques that the guy did not fit in this movie at all.

I gotta be honest, the mere inclusion of his name in the Han/Leia, Han/Ren scenes took a bit of poignancy out of them.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Disagree.

it's not as if the emperor was particularly prominent in Ep4.

mistercharlie

I've got to agree with rj here. Snoke's presence greatly parallels Palpatine's presence in  New Hope.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

blatboom

yeah but we're 30 years past the emperor now and you can't really think Snoke is simply his successor.. I mean he might be but that's kinda weak imo

blatboom

Quote from: VDB on January 10, 2016, 03:54:05 PM
Quote from: blatboom on January 10, 2016, 02:47:41 PM
there has to be something more to Snoke to raise his street cred. I agree with the critiques that the guy did not fit in this movie at all.

I gotta be honest, the mere inclusion of his name in the Han/Leia, Han/Ren scenes took a bit of poignancy out of them.

you are totally right. the only remotely cringe-worthy dialogue throughout the whole movie. "no..it was Snoke!"