News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

fam got a new pc, couple quick questions.

Started by VA $l!m, March 03, 2016, 05:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

mom got a new hp desktop this week.
got everything set up pretty much.

just wondering about 2 things:

1. should i worry about installing any other security software like AVG on top of the Macaffee stuff thats a part of W10?
2. has anyone used this new windows browser, i think its called microsoft edge ?  seems ok, and im trying to decode whether to tell my mom to just use it or if i should just install firefox or somethin.

thx.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

phil

it can't hurt to add another layer of virus protection, I did it on my W10 laptop and have had no issues with viruses/malware/etc.

as for Microsoft Edge, it's not bad for most things but I still use Chrome 99.9% of the time
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

mopper_smurf

Quote from: phil on March 03, 2016, 05:15:52 PM
it can't hurt to add another layer of virus protection, I did it on my W10 laptop and have had no issues with viruses/malware/etc.

as for Microsoft Edge, it's not bad for most things but I still use Chrome 99.9% of the time

Same, except FF for me.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mistercharlie

Quote from: phil on March 03, 2016, 05:15:52 PM

Chrome all the way.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

VA $l!m

right on, thanks for input. guess im behind the times, havent seen chrome before. maybe we'll give it a try.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

nab

I'd advise against using two or more antivirus programs as they are a resource hog and may have some difficulty playing nicely with each other. 

I use the Windows Defender that comes with windows 10 and common sense to keep my machine clean; the second item being the single most important component of antivirus.  If you don't trust the Windows Defender, I'd go with the AVG alone.  IMO most free antivirus programs are roughly comparable and many of the paid ones work equally as well as the free ones as they mainly share the same definitions.  Most random virus problems are zero-day exploits that aren't going to wait around for your antivirus update, no matter which antivirus program you use.  They hide in the predictable places; on unsecured/not updated machines and programs, in email attachments, on shady websites, etc.  Hence, common sense.   

What you get for paying for higher end antivirus is heuristics, or the ability to predict virus like behavior for viruses that are unknown in the definitions databases.  Some programs are better guessers than others, but security comes with less convenience as much of what you do on a computer is the same as a virus (i.e. modify and move files, give permissions, etc.) and you'll have to tailor the program to your behavior.         

zimbra

Quote from: VA $l!m on March 03, 2016, 05:02:34 PM
mom got a new hp desktop this week.
got everything set up pretty much.

just wondering about 2 things:

1. should i worry about installing any other security software like AVG on top of the Macaffee stuff thats a part of W10?
2. has anyone used this new windows browser, i think its called microsoft edge ?  seems ok, and im trying to decode whether to tell my mom to just use it or if i should just install firefox or somethin.

thx.

My work laptop, which I use 90% of the time I'm on a computer, is a HP running mainly Microsoft programs. I highly suggest downloading Chrome for the internet & then a catch all for multimedia like VLC.  Other than those two suggestions all the Microsoft programs work great!  I'll double check the antivirus/malware that I'm using tomorrow morning as I've had no issue with viruses or mal/adware in the 1+ year I've been using the machine.

Last thing, it's the first HP machine I've ever used and the first Windows machine in 7+ years and I love it. As little complaints as I have for the machine, I'll still replace my MacBook Pro with a Mac Mini when it finally kicks the can.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

Quote from: nab on March 07, 2016, 11:17:30 PM
I'd advise against using two or more antivirus programs as they are a resource hog and may have some difficulty playing nicely with each other. 

I use the Windows Defender that comes with windows 10 and common sense to keep my machine clean; the second item being the single most important component of antivirus.  If you don't trust the Windows Defender, I'd go with the AVG alone.  IMO most free antivirus programs are roughly comparable and many of the paid ones work equally as well as the free ones as they mainly share the same definitions.  Most random virus problems are zero-day exploits that aren't going to wait around for your antivirus update, no matter which antivirus program you use.  They hide in the predictable places; on unsecured/not updated machines and programs, in email attachments, on shady websites, etc.  Hence, common sense.   

What you get for paying for higher end antivirus is heuristics, or the ability to predict virus like behavior for viruses that are unknown in the definitions databases.  Some programs are better guessers than others, but security comes with less convenience as much of what you do on a computer is the same as a virus (i.e. modify and move files, give permissions, etc.) and you'll have to tailor the program to your behavior.         

This. 

Running two antivirus programs is going to kill your speeds. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

kellerb

Quote from: Hicks on March 08, 2016, 12:02:44 AM
Running two antivirus programs is going to kill your speeds.

I agree with all of them.  download Chrome, don't double up on antivirus programs.  Also, you mentioned Mcafee.  That sounds like something that HP installed, as opposed to something that comes on a clean windows 10 install.  You may want to review that and see if its a 1-year free subscription or a more permanent solution.

rowjimmy

With Chrome, be sure to get the adblock+ plugin. But don't load up on plugins. They'll slow Chrome down like mad.

shoreline99

I went back to firefox after chrome started becoming a freaking memory hog, but still keep it on my PC to cast stuff to my TV. Other than that, I second what most have said - windows defender and common sense or AVG but not both.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.