News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New Album Announcement???

Started by runawayjimbo, September 07, 2016, 02:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

runawayjimbo

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 08, 2016, 12:38:36 AM
Here you go:
http://rowjimmy.net/?p=1765

Nice job, dude. I love when a writer makes use of the word "grokked." It's somehow visually and audibly so much more pleasing to me than it's actual meaning.

Also, in case anyone wanted to grab Trey's shirt from last night for an ugly shirt party or something (and if you have an extra $780 laying around), here you go:

https://www.gucci.com/int/en/pr/men/mens-ready-to-wear/mens-shirts/mens-casual/floral-print-silk-duke-shirt-p-408602Z677A4535
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

emay

Really sat down withe the album this past weekend, it does seem like a compilation album of side projects rather than a Phish album. I enjoy the ballad songs and "breathe and burning" in the studio way more than I do live. The vocal effects are kinda distracting on some songs, where others it sorta fits. I like the different sound each song holds. Lots of emotion and experimentation with more recent alternative styles (Friends, I always wanted it this way, Things People Do).
"Miss You" is very emotional, but sounds like it should be on a TAB album same with "Running Out Of Time"
Enjoyed the studio version of Tide Turns too & "I Always wanted it this way".
To me it feels like they put a lot more work and thought into this album than with Fuego. Fuego just came naturally after being together on the road, and off, after the break up. I appreciate this album, not my anywhere near the favorite of their studio works though.

mbw

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 11, 2016, 11:30:19 AM

Also, in case anyone wanted to grab Trey's shirt from last night for an ugly shirt party or something (and if you have an extra $780 laying around), here you go:

https://www.gucci.com/int/en/pr/men/mens-ready-to-wear/mens-shirts/mens-casual/floral-print-silk-duke-shirt-p-408602Z677A4535
:-o

remember when trey used to wear $20 Zuba's he bought at the mall on TV?

mopper_smurf

Quote from: mbw on October 11, 2016, 12:48:24 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 11, 2016, 11:30:19 AM

:-o

remember when trey used to wear $20 Zuba's he bought at the mall on TV?

Let's be thankful he did not wear the pants that are supposed to go with it.

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

alcoholandcoffeebeans

holding out till the record comes in...

saw B&B live... eh?

heard petrichor on jamon the other day... not sure how I feel there.

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

WhatstheUse?

I'm a fan of Petrichor. Compositionally speaking, it's the most sophisticated piece Trey has put forth in years. So, from that perspective, I respect it.

With that being said... did they haaavvee to make it sound like an adult contemporary, Christmas song? The cheese is laid on thick here - Lyrically, compositionally, and production wise. Sections of this would play great at a Macy's in December.
Bring in the dude!

Hicks

I loved Petrichor when I saw him play it with the symphony. 

I was disappointed that he added cheesey lyrics to it as I find them extraneous. 

Having said that, I'm still excited to see what they do with it in a live setting. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Hicks on October 11, 2016, 08:30:42 PM
Having said that, I'm still excited to see what they do with it in a live setting.

Agreed! I was skeptical they'd play it at all - but that recent interview with Trey put that to rest.

Curious to what section(s) they jam. The final "the rain" section seems most obvious but I think another couple sections couldd be extended...
Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

I think what petrichor is missing is "that moment".

That moment that 12-15 minutes of composition pays off for.

Most other Trey compositions have it... Fluffhead, YEM, Dvided Sky, Guyute etc. all have a definitive 'Peak'.

Petrichor doesn't exactly have that. It's got a bunch of sections, but no exact pinnacle that pulls them all together.
Bring in the dude!

Hicks

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 11, 2016, 08:41:41 PM

Most other Trey compositions have it... Fluffhead, YEM, Dvided Sky, Guyute etc. all have a definitive 'Peak'.

Petrichor doesn't exactly have that. It's got a bunch of sections, but no exact pinnacle that pulls them all together.

TWISTING AND TURNING INTO THE MIST AROUND ME
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

JPhishman

Kinda like that other composition. Yeah... That one.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

mbw

the weirdest thing about Petrichor is when they just start playing KDF.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Hicks on October 11, 2016, 09:19:53 PM

TWISTING AND TURNING INTO THE MIST AROUND ME

OMG I'M PEAKING /\ /\ /\
Bring in the dude!