News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Weight Lifting/Training and Diet Thread

Started by Gundo, January 09, 2017, 01:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPhishman

Quote from: mbw on January 10, 2017, 10:59:23 PM
I cant think of two things i would like to do less than work out and listen to character 0, much less at the same time.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

Gundo

Quote from: mbw on January 10, 2017, 10:59:23 PM
I cant think of two things i would like to do less than work out and listen to character 0, much less at the same time.
To each his own.

Guyute

Not weightlifting, but for the weight loss and fitness I did insanity.  Dropped 110 pounds doing that and eating well.  Been a stressful year and I gave back 25 so starting back on my hardcore regiment now. 

You don't need cardio to lose weight, lifting can do that. But it is good to mix it in for heart health. 
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

VDB

Quote from: Guyute on January 16, 2017, 09:34:14 AM
Not weightlifting, but for the weight loss and fitness I did insanity.  Dropped 110 pounds doing that and eating well.  Been a stressful year and I gave back 25 so starting back on my hardcore regiment now. 

You don't need cardio to lose weight, lifting can do that. But it is good to mix it in for heart health.

Wow, nice job!
Is this still Wombat?

zimbra

I love lifting weights and occasionally cardio but I've never been extremely cut nor bulky. I'm the type of guy that binge diets/excercises when I start to get uncomfortable with my weight then just go back to the required lifting. I only do this so I can eat pizza on Saturday night at 2 AM after the a night out and still fit into my slim cut shirts.

I've recently started going at 5:00 in the morning before work and it makes the work day so much better. Especially the 12-14 hour days at the office.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jam>

Quote from: Superfreakie on January 10, 2017, 11:09:49 PM

I do core exercises everyday.
I'll post the exercises and sets next.

Not a weights guy, but this I'm interested in.

Guyute

Quote from: zimbra on January 18, 2017, 12:45:53 AM
I love lifting weights and occasionally cardio but I've never been extremely cut nor bulky. I'm the type of guy that binge diets/excercises when I start to get uncomfortable with my weight then just go back to the required lifting. I only do this so I can eat pizza on Saturday night at 2 AM after the a night out and still fit into my slim cut shirts.

I've recently started going at 5:00 in the morning before work and it makes the work day so much better. Especially the 12-14 hour days at the office.

I do the same thing, 5-5:15 workout 5 days a week.  6am on Saturday.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

zimbra

Quote from: Guyute on January 23, 2017, 01:31:44 PM
Quote from: zimbra on January 18, 2017, 12:45:53 AM

I do the same thing, 5-5:15 workout 5 days a week.  6am on Saturday.

That is impressive. When you first started this regiment did it take you awhile to get used to the 5 AM?  I seem to get a few in a week then really struggle the rest of the days.

"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sls.stormyrider

the key (sounds obvious) is to get to bed earlier. I used to be out by 10 - 10:30 and had no problem being out the door by 5. Now, I'm up until 11 or so, getting out by 5:30 can be tough
I'm also 15 years older now
It takes a few weeks to shift your body over, after that it's no problem
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

There was a brief period of time, long ago, when a friend and I would hit the gym before dawn. I've never been a morning person, so the waking up was always the hardest part, but it sure did make the rest of the day feel pretty good.

Nowadays I have precious little reason or motivation to even attempt such a thing, so I tip my hat to those who do. (Except I get to stay up as late as I want drinking beer and farting around on the internet! Yeah yeah!)
Is this still Wombat?

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: jam> on January 18, 2017, 08:31:20 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on January 10, 2017, 11:09:49 PM

I do core exercises everyday.
I'll post the exercises and sets next.

Not a weights guy, but this I'm interested in.

This is what I do. Planks, pushups, situps, curls and some chin-ups most days along with stretching.
Down 10 lbs, hoping to drop another 10 or so by the time I'm done.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

McGrupp

Quote from: JPhishman on January 10, 2017, 01:04:13 AM
But the real question is..... What is your go-to Phish workout track?

I often go with 6/11/94 DWD.

otherwise known as the most raging DWD of all time, my dude!
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Augustus

What'd I miss?!?

I run a bit, so I'm all about corework.
Trying to stretch more than I do this year (~30min now) and more weighted lower back stuff.

Gundo

Quote from: Augustus on January 30, 2017, 12:51:32 PM
What'd I miss?!?

I run a bit, so I'm all about corework.
Trying to stretch more than I do this year (~30min now) and more weighted lower back stuff.
My favorite weight lifting exercise is the deadlift. If you've never tried it, you should look into deadlifting. Great exercise for the core, lower back, and most of all hamstrings. 

I'm terrible with stretching/ warm up. I try to add it into my gym schedule, but sometimes I just don't have the patience or I'm running behind that day. It does make a difference as you get older.