News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2017-1-15 Barcelo Maya Beach - Riviera Maya, MEX

Started by anthrax, January 15, 2017, 11:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

It was phish...
This night was as good as the others...average at best. They clicked but didnt...moments where trey really showed hes still got it, and times where it sounded like he just gave up.

I dunno. It was phish 3.0....sure it would have been a blast to be there, but musically it was 3.meh...

Even my ol lady, who usually hears no wrong.....was not impressed.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Marmar on January 16, 2017, 07:13:05 PM
It was phish...
This night was as good as the others...average at best. They clicked but didnt...moments where trey really showed hes still got it, and times where it sounded like he just gave up.

I dunno. It was phish 3.0....sure it would have been a blast to be there, but musically it was 3.meh...

This is not a wise-crack, I am asking with totally sincerity (curiosity?):  Is there any show from 3.0 that you like, or think is "good"?

rowjimmy

This is a pretty solid show.
Despite the absence of 40minute face melting jams, there's some good meat on both of these sets.

Marmar

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 16, 2017, 07:31:39 PM
It was phish...

This is not a wise-crack, I am asking with totally sincerity (curiosity?):  Is there any show from 3.0 that you like, or think is "good"?

Plenty.  :-)

There's a ton of shows I've enjoyed the hell out of.....that being said, none of these 3 are any of them. These had a somewhat disjointed feel to them to me. Kinda like....I dunno, you could hear Mike and Jon CLICK.....Trey and Page would CLICK.....but they didn't seem to click as a unit til near the end of each show. I mean I dig the whole delay sound, but man....some of them are getting to be downright brutal (Undermind)....and I get it, it's like vacation for them so they are going to be more loose....but there was a lot to be desired, to my ears at least, in this run.

Song selection was there, but some of the execution was not.

...and I get it.....trust me I do....everyone has different expectations.....mine weren't met for the majority of the run, some songs had it, but most didn't.....it was just a meh 3.0 run to my ears.

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Marmar on January 17, 2017, 01:44:24 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 16, 2017, 07:31:39 PM
It was phish...

Plenty.  :-)

There's a ton of shows I've enjoyed the hell out of.....that being said, none of these 3 are any of them. These had a somewhat disjointed feel to them to me. Kinda like....I dunno, you could hear Mike and Jon CLICK.....Trey and Page would CLICK.....but they didn't seem to click as a unit til near the end of each show. I mean I dig the whole delay sound, but man....some of them are getting to be downright brutal (Undermind)....and I get it, it's like vacation for them so they are going to be more loose....but there was a lot to be desired, to my ears at least, in this run.

Song selection was there, but some of the execution was not.

...and I get it.....trust me I do....everyone has different expectations.....mine weren't met for the majority of the run, some songs had it, but most didn't.....it was just a meh 3.0 run to my ears.

I'm not really disagreeing.  There was some stuff I really liked, but I don't see myself going back to play them. I am sure it was super awesome for those that were there.   I will def go back and listen to this one (have not yet but saw the stream) but will most likely not revisit the first two.

VDB

I'll try to write more later but for now may it suffice to say the whole experience is utterly unique and a ridiculous amount of fun. I had the pleasure of running into Scotty several times and getting to hang a wee bit. I liked nights one and three the best, but as of now my impressions of the music itself are still colored by the context of the moment. Enjoyed the hell out of my 12 hours of sleep last night.
Is this still Wombat?

whatapiper

This show ripped, trey was on point all weekend. 2nd night had the most people dancing in the water by far, Drowned was especially fun in the waves. Meh 3.0? LOL. Can you still have fun? Best band ever, I'll see you next year. 
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Bobafett

Dudump..dudump...diggggity-diggity digget digget-donk, shang. Ohhhhhhhhhh Wilson!....do you still have fun!?!?? :tte:
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Caravan2001

Quote from: whatapiper on January 17, 2017, 10:02:11 PM
This show ripped, trey was on point all weekend. 2nd night had the most people dancing in the water by far, Drowned was especially fun in the waves. Meh 3.0? LOL. Can you still have fun? Best band ever, I'll see you next year.

Whatapiper gets it.  See you there next year dude.

Gumbo72203

You guys gotta revisit the Tweezer for some of Trey's most creative phrasing in 3.0.  Dude was playing off open strings, doing fast licks.... just really well done stuff.  Not what you often see from him anymore. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gundo

Quote from: Bobafett on January 18, 2017, 12:09:54 AM
Dudump..dudump...diggggity-diggity digget digget-donk, shang. Ohhhhhhhhhh Wilson!....do you still have fun!?!?? :tte:
This.

But to be real, it's sucks to be so critical of the band you love the most. I get what you're saying Mar. I enjoy 3.0 jams, but I don't like 3.0 setlists. They don't have any sort of flow or continuity which is what drew me to the band in the first place. But most of all I just want them to dig deep and explore.