News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

My trip to Bolivia

Started by sls.stormyrider, February 20, 2017, 10:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Wasn't sure where to post this, so started a new thread. Those you on instagram have already seen these.

From Feb 10 - Feb 17 myself and about 20 other health care workers went to Bolivia as part of Project Pacer International. Chagas disease, a mosquito borne illness that attacks the heart, is endemic in rural So America. Poverty is rampant and these people otherwise would get no treatment. People with other types of heart disease came too, as you will see. Here we are in the international terminal in Miami, about to head to Bolivia

smuggling drugs into South America. Who would have thought???
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sls.stormyrider

This is Diana, an 11 yr old girl with a large VSD (hole in her heart) since birth. Without surgery it is unlikely she will make it past 16. She was offered surgery for $20K, a bargain by US. Standards but still unaffordable to people who can't afford meds or a hospital room that costs < $10 per day. We got a local surgeon to agree to do it for $5K - his services and the anesthesiologist would be donated One of my colleagues,Dr Kashif Chaudhry, who happens to be a naturalized US, here as a refugee seeking asylum from Pakistan, arranged for funding via gofundme. The $ was raised in minutes

This is when Diana found out she could have surgery

Tatiana is 6 months old with complete AV canal defect, a complex lesion that will likely be fatal in a few years if not corrected soon. We are currently arranging for her surgery to be performed and funded - the campaign won't be started until more details are ironed out

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sls.stormyrider

at a soccer game. Look closely at the small red sign in the middle. Some things are the same everywhere

anyone want a pint?

I think this is either a disco or a sports bar...believe it or not

jam>

Thank you for sharing. Looks like special trip. I'm inspired.

sls.stormyrider

mbw

Nice job.

I gotta get to the Fucking House some day soon.

Bobafett

Thank you and may god bless you and what you do, Steve.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mistercharlie

Awesome work, Steve. Spreading the health around.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

Buffalo Budd

Steve, that's incredible. There is such a need for doctors and nurses abroad.
Our first expedition to Ethiopia was with an ER doctor and he performed checkups on 500+ kids during our time there. He goes back usually twice a year. There's a special place in heaven for people like you bud (if you believe in that stuff ;)
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VDB

Great stuff! Thanks for the story and the pics.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Right on, Steve.
Thanks for sharing with us. It's good to see people doing some good out there.

Hicks

Awesome, a co-worker's girlfriend is doing research to find a cure for chagas at NYU or Columbia as well as taking trips to South America. 

I got my bypass surgery done for $900 out of pocket because I was signed up for one of the co-ops that were created by the ACA.  They are now out of business because millions in promised federal funds never arrived.   :|

Hopefully one day everyone will have access to the quality medical care they deserve, until then it's people like you that will make the difference. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.