News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Roger Moore

Started by mopper_smurf, May 23, 2017, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

PIE-GUY

...sounds about right...

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mopper_smurf

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 23, 2017, 10:26:23 AM
...sounds about right...

Ouch ...

Dutch leading news site can't get over the fact that he was "already 57" when he played Bond in A View to a Kill. My people are on their way to hunt down the intern who wrote that.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Buffalo Budd

I know many disagree but he was my favorite Bond.
A View to a Kill was the best.
RIP
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on May 23, 2017, 10:37:33 AM
RIP

I don't want to start an argument in the guy's memorial thread but know that we have one to take up at another date.

I did enjoy his work as Bond. His version brought a sophistication to the character that played well.

Here's hoping that his passing was without great suffering and in the company of loved ones.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 23, 2017, 12:39:13 PM
RIP

I don't want to start an argument in the guy's memorial thread but know that we have one to take up at another date.

I did enjoy his work as Bond. His version brought a sophistication to the character that played well.

Here's hoping that his passing was without great suffering and in the company of loved ones.

Sounds good.
I could probably attribute my appreciation for his portrayal of Bond to the fact that my first two 007 movies were his. I continued back through the rest after I was hooked with his character.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

RIP

Yeah everyone knows that George Lazenby was the best Bond...  :evil:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sls.stormyrider

RIP

agreed, though he is still an icon
some of the movies he was in aren't my favorite in the series, although he did one of my favorite intro chase scenes - the downhill ski race that ended with him on a snowboard in a lake. I forget which movie it was

ETA - the Spy Who Loved Me

RIP
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mbw

emay

RIP maybe we will get a Bond marathon this weekend

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: slslbs on May 23, 2017, 02:54:51 PM
RIP

agreed, though he is still an icon
some of the movies he was in aren't my favorite in the series, although he did one of my favorite intro chase scenes - the downhill ski race that ended with him on a snowboard in a lake. I forget which movie it was

ETA - the Spy Who Loved Me

RIP

I still credit this scene for getting me to ditch the 2 planks for a board back in 87.

westcider

Quote from: emayPhishyCO on May 23, 2017, 03:10:25 PM

TBS always ran their Bond marathons during damned finals week, both semesters.  Roger Moore may be why I failed out college.

I love that ski scene.  I can vividly remember watching it for the first time as a kid, thinking man someday I'll be with a woman that hot, in a place that cool, after doing something that badass, someday.

May he rest in peace.

susep

Moore was the Bond I grew up on, Octopussy, A View To A Kill.  Amy Winehouse paid tribute to him in one of her tunes, I forget which one.  He played a great Bond.  RIP. 

antelope19

Quote from: westcider on May 23, 2017, 06:35:21 PM
Quote from: emayPhishyCO on May 23, 2017, 03:10:25 PM

TBS always ran their Bond marathons during damned finals week, both semesters.  Roger Moore may be why I failed out college.

I love that ski scene.  I can vividly remember watching it for the first time as a kid, thinking man someday I'll be with a woman that hot, in a place that cool, after doing something that badass, someday.

May he rest in peace.

LOL....I had completely forgotten about that. We cursed TBS every semester, but It was always nice to turn on the Bond marathon during study breaks.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

PIE-GUY

Marc Haynes

As an seven year old in about 1983, in the days before First Class Lounges at airports, I was with my grandad in Nice Airport and saw Roger Moore sitting at the departure gate, reading a paper. I told my granddad I'd just seen James Bond and asked if we could go over so I could get his autograph. My grandad had no idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, so we walked over and he popped me in front of Roger Moore, with the words "my grandson says you're famous. Can you sign this?"

As charming as you'd expect, Roger asks my name and duly signs the back of my plane ticket, a fulsome note full of best wishes. I'm ecstatic, but as we head back to our seats, I glance down at the signature. It's hard to decipher it but it definitely doesn't say 'James Bond'. My grandad looks at it, half figures out it says 'Roger Moore' - I have absolutely no idea who that is, and my hearts sinks. I tell my grandad he's signed it wrong, that he's put someone else's name - so my grandad heads back to Roger Moore, holding the ticket which he's only just signed.

I remember staying by our seats and my grandad saying "he says you've signed the wrong name. He says your name is James Bond." Roger Moore's face crinkled up with realisation and he beckoned me over. When I was by his knee, he leant over, looked from side to side, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said to me, "I have to sign my name as 'Roger Moore' because otherwise...Blofeld might find out I was here." He asked me not to tell anyone that I'd just seen James Bond, and he thanked me for keeping his secret. I went back to our seats, my nerves absolutely jangling with delight. My grandad asked me if he'd signed 'James Bond.' No, I said. I'd got it wrong. I was working with James Bond now.

Many, many years later, I was working as a scriptwriter on a recording that involved UNICEF, and Roger Moore was doing a piece to camera as an ambassador. He was completely lovely and while the cameramen were setting up, I told him in passing the story of when I met him in Nice Airport. He was happy to hear it, and he had a chuckle and said "Well, I don't remember but I'm glad you got to meet James Bond." So that was lovely.

And then he did something so brilliant. After the filming, he walked past me in the corridor, heading out to his car - but as he got level, he paused, looked both ways, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said, "Of course I remember our meeting in Nice. But I didn't say anything in there, because those cameramen - any one of them could be working for Blofeld."

I was as delighted at 30 as I had been at 7. What a man. What a tremendous man.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul