News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rest In Peace Gregg Allman

Started by PIE-GUY, May 27, 2017, 03:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

This sounds like an emotional night, to say the least. I would be bawling like a baby during Amazing Grace. I teared up just reading about it.

http://jacksonville.com/entertainment/music/2017-05-27/concert-review-emotional-night-jacksonville-tedeschi-trucks-opens

Concert Review: An emotional night in Jacksonville as Tedeschi Trucks opens Daily's Place
May. 27th, 2017

It's difficult to say what was the most remarkable about Saturday night's concert by the Tedeschi Trucks Band, the first show in Jacksonville's new Daily's Place amphitheater:

• The venue, which looked and sounded great (but could use some more shade).

• The rousing introduction by Jaguars owner Shad Khan.

• The show itself, which opened with a song that didn't leave a dry eye in the house and, a few hours later during the encore, did it again.

• A couple getting engaged, right in the aisle during the middle of the show.

The new amphitheater, built onto one end of EverBank Field, was nearly full for the show. Everything seemed to work smoothly on opening night, although the sun streaming in from over downtown made some of the seats on the floor uncomfortably warm during opening act Jon Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen's New Orleans blues set.

Khan came onstage just as the sun was setting. "Hello, Jacksonville," he said. "Are we ready to party?"

The band hit the stage with an emotional wallop, opening with the Allman Brothers Band's "Ain't Wastin' Time No More." Gregg Allman, founder of Allman Brothers and Tedeschi Trucks guitarist Derek Trucks' bandmate for 15 years, died earlier in the day. Plenty of hardened rock fans shed a tear during that one.

For the next couple of hours, Tedeschi Trucks just never let up — the tight horns in "Don't Know What it Means," the band's joyous cover version of Derek and the Dominoes' "Keep on Growin'," singer/guitarist Susan Tedeschi showing the pretty side of her voice on "Bird on the Wire" before whipping into a gospel frenzy by song's end, a sublime "Midnight in Harlem" and a ferocious "I Pity the Fool."

During "Leaving Trunk" — not the most romantic of songs — a couple near the front pulled a surprise of their own. Howie Pearce dropped to one knee in the aisle and asked Joyce Guess to marry him. She said yes, and the happy couple returned to the show.

Good news for Daily's: The seats didn't get a lot of wear and tear Saturday, because fans stood and danced for the whole show.

Things got emotional again during the encore. Tedeschi walked on with just keyboardist Kofi Burbridge and talked about all the friends she's lost recently — Allman, Butch Trucks, Leon Russell, Col. Bruce Hampton. "It's been a rough year," she said. "It's getting really difficult to deal with." She then launched into a gorgeous version of Russell's "Song for You" that got the tears flowing again.

Trucks and the rhythm section came on and launched into a version of the Allmans' "Statesboro Blues" that was much more celebration than wake before getting somber again when all the musicians went silent and watched as Trucks played "Amazing Grace," clearly struggling to keep it together.

The bar has been set for the new venue. Good luck topping Saturday night's show.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

ph92

I was really trying to get to that. But the tickets were a bit out of my price range.

My buddy went and he said the show was nothing short of spectacular and emotional.

This is a shame though. He will be missed.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

PIE-GUY

emay

RIP

He was a trailblazer for sure. He kept the light and spirit of the ABB alive through all those decades.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

:cry: so lucky to have had the chance to see him...
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

VDB

You know that time in your life when you transition from simply listening to whatever and just being casually aware of music, to finally starting to get what really grabs you and what marks the difference between merely good music and incomparably great music? ABB was right there for me at that time, heavy in the rotation alongside Phish, the Dead, Pink Floyd and some pivotal others. I was lucky to have finally seen them once, on their co-bill tour with Phil and Friends about eight or so years ago.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

celebration of Gregg's life at the Big House in Macon yesterday. Dickey joined Jaimoe and Marc on stage.
Apparently Dickey and Gregg reconnected recently
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Quote from: slslbs on June 04, 2017, 01:18:34 PM
celebration of Gregg's life at the Big House in Macon yesterday. Dickey joined Jaimoe and Marc on stage.
Apparently Dickey and Gregg reconnected recently

It's good to hear that, even if they couldn't be in business together, they could reconcile before Gregg passed.
That may be the best thing I've heard coming out of this whole business.

sls.stormyrider

Turns out the rumors of Dickey playing, or even being there were false. Supposedly they did reconcile in the recent past

Dickey's son, Duane, was there and played a fair bit, along with Berry Oakley jr and many others
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

jam>

kellerb

Tracklist of Gregg's "Southern Blood" album that he wrapped up before it became a posthumous album.

NPR first track listen:
http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/07/26/539261952/gregg-allmans-posthumous-my-only-true-friend-aint-just-another-road-song

kind of a holy shit tracklist if you ask me:

My Only True Friend (Gregg Allman-Scott Sharrard)
Once I Was (Tim Buckley-Larry Beckett)
Going Going Gone (Bob Dylan)
Black Muddy River (Jerome J. Garcia-Robert C. Hunter)
I Love the Life I Live (Willie Dixon)
Willin' (Lowell George)
Blind Bats and Swamp Rats (Jack Avery)
Out of Left Field (Dewey Lindon Oldham Jr.-Dan Penn)
Love Like Kerosene (Scot Sharrard)
Song for Adam featuring Jackson Browne (Jackson Browne)

PIE-GUY

This is gonna be a good listen... painful, though. Willin'!!!

rowjimmy

sls.stormyrider

wow
that 1st track is powerful
Im sure the rest are, too

the vibe of the album seems like it's going to be like Warren Zevon's The Wind

rowjimmy