News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

American Gods

Started by shoreline99, June 02, 2017, 01:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

Anyone else read the Neil Gaiman book?

Watching the series on STARZ? If not, you should be.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

VDB

The wife and I are watching it (she's a Gaiman fan). It's weird but well done.
Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

I love the book, but gave up on the series two episodes in. It just wasn't for me.

The follow-up book, The Anasi Boys, is really good too.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

ytowndan

The book has been on my to-read list forever, but I never seem to get around to it.

As far as the show goes, I haven't watched it yet, but I saw that Ian McShane is in it...I loved that guy in Deadwood, so I might have to check it out.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

natronzero

I love the book. Read it the old-fashioned way a few years ago and listened to the 10th Anniversary version of the audiobook maybe a year ago, right after they started hyping the upcoming series, to get refamiliarized. I highly recommend the audiobook. The voices are great, and Neil Gaiman does the intro and some of the interstitial chapters (the Coming To America stuff).

I've only seen the first four episodes, but I've been pretty entertained with the series so far. It's been pretty faithful to the book - somewhat condensed, especially the first couple episodes, but that's to be expected when adapting a book like that. And there's been some stuff that's not in the book, but suits the series well, so i'm into it. Gotta expect that as well. I think the casting has been pretty fucking great on every character so far.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.