News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

OGOGO

Started by Marmar, September 15, 2017, 09:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

going to cop this vinyl tonight at the local record store so I get pre wristband'd for the in store performance on 10/14 here

Hicks

Spun it a couple more times and I'm digging it, it's kind of pop but still has plenty of trademark Mike weirdness.

Seems like he's put out the best Phish related album in a while, maybe it will spurn Trey to write some better tunes.  :samurai:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Couldn't find it anywhere locally which is weird so I got it $19ppd from Soundstage with their 20% code....

tet

I've been pretty impressed with this album so far - immediately had it on repeat after the first listen because it just kind of came out of nowhere for me.  When I heard "pop, disco Mike", I wasn't really feeling it, but it's definitely something new and pretty interesting.  I am kind of regretting not going to see MGB this time around...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

ytowndan

I think the Green Sparrow was the last one of his I remember listening to, and I can't recall listening to it more than once.  I guess I'm just not too into Mike's solo stuff.  Normally.

Having said that, I'm really digging this one.  It's more my style, I suppose.  I'll have to check out a few of the shows and see what the material is like live. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

cactusfan

Quote from: mbw on September 22, 2017, 07:09:07 PM
Quote from: Hicks on September 22, 2017, 06:38:22 PM
It's uh, certainly something different from Mike and I like it a lot better than Overstep which I thought was pretty annoying/grating. 

I guess it's a solid effort but like most Mike solo stuff, or Phish studio stuff for that matter, I doubt I'll be listening to it much after it's a couple months old.

Clone should be in regular rotation.

Yes.
I also like Inside In a lot. Mike's other solo albums haven't really done it for me. But lately I seem to like the songs he brings to Phish better than most of Trey's new stuff. Haven't tried OGOGO yet, but I will.

susep

I really like it.  Solid grooves.  My first listen sounded like a Prince tribute.  The sleeper track for me is So Far Gone.  Really good stuff. 

mopper_smurf

I like it a lot. And so does our big bad-ass cat Lemmy.
I am sucker for Mike's solo stuff. Also: no sign of Trey ballads. That's is a big plus IMO.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mbw

Finally getting a chance to listen to this and I am kinda amazed at how good it is.  Wish I didn't blow off his show last weekend.

Caravan2001

Quote from: mbw on October 11, 2017, 07:14:20 PM
Finally getting a chance to listen to this and I am kinda amazed at how good it is.  Wish I didn't blow off his show last weekend.

I wish you didn't either.  I am dying for MGB to come back here.

Buffalo Budd

I like the album and love that MGB seems to be constantly evolving.
It'd be interesting to see these tunes in a live setting.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Marmar

Anyone else get the stab at Mike's issues about a hobo takin photos? Oooooo
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Marmar on October 12, 2017, 05:17:19 PM
Anyone else get the stab at Mike's issues about a hobo takin photos? Oooooo

I thought he was saying "Some Quasimodo takin' photo's".

Do you think he is referring to the Jones Beach Dead show incident?
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

Caught Gordo in Boulder last Friday and he exceeded my expectations. I hadn't heard the new album yet and was pleasantly surprised with the new tunes. Very poppy/catchy, which I didn't expect, but I dug 'em.

Those dudes jam too. Fun show!
Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 17, 2017, 01:47:12 PM
Those dudes jam too.

this is true. I find the shows a mixed bag sometimes, but there will always be some left-field jamming in there. The band seems pretty fearless in that sense. Mike's singing just gets tedious after two full sets.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul