News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

We talkin’ Aliens up in here!

Started by WhatstheUse?, November 29, 2017, 12:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBL

Also, I voted no.

If there are other intelligent life forms out there, and if they are capable of interstellar travel, then probably they are aware that there is other life out in the cosmos as well.

That being said, there is basically no reason for them to travel here, given our highly unevolved civilization.  Or, as RJ stated, they are looking for resources such as water and then in that case we are basically fucked.
If this is love, I'm never going home..

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

ytowndan

Would microscopic life count?  Because I dig the concept behind the "seeding" theory, in which microbes hitch a ride on comets and asteroids and the like. 

That said, I still voted no, because you're clearly talking about green people with laser beams who want us to join their galactic senate. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

VA $l!m

only an alien would make this poll.

that being said i was once upducted by aliens near Humbolt on my way from the Gorge to Shoreline.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

cactusfan

The thing about odds and likelihood is that you can't make predictions based on a lone instance of whatever it is you're talking about.

It's all well and good that we've got a billionty billion planets in our infinite universe, but so far as we know, life has arisen exactly once. You can't extrapolate from once. It might be that the odds of life appearing in any given universe the size of ours is one in, say, fifty seven. For example. If that's the case, then no, it's not likely there's any other life in our universe. We already got lucky with our one in fifty-seven odds that life appeared here.

Another thing--what's life in this context? Carbon-based? With "intelligence" comprehensible to us? This is even more of a stretch.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure They Live is a documentary.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: ytowndan on November 29, 2017, 04:58:27 PM
Would microscopic life count?  Because I dig the concept behind the "seeding" theory, in which microbes hitch a ride on comets and asteroids and the like. 

That said, I still voted no, because you're clearly talking about green people with laser beams who want us to join their galactic senate.

This is actually what made me start this thread...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/science/alien-life-bacteria-space-international-station-bacteria-cosmonaut-astronaut-russia-a8080036.html%3famp 
Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

'Alien' and 'Extraterrestrial' mean different things to different people, but I am on the side of the fence that 'extraterrestrial' cells, be they bacteria or microscopic cellular organisms, have made their way to Earth. Are they sentient beings, no probably not. But cellular life is cellular life. Even if it is too small to see with the naked eye. Think of all the meteors and meteorites that have hit the planet. Microbial 'aliens' were more than likely on said meteors.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

From the netflix thread, this is pretty good relative to other 'films' on the subject.

Quote from: mbw on August 29, 2017, 06:17:26 PM

Pretty well made and intriguing UFO/alien documentary.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: cactusfan on November 29, 2017, 05:40:52 PM
The thing about odds and likelihood is that you can't make predictions based on a lone instance of whatever it is you're talking about.

It's all well and good that we've got a billionty billion planets in our infinite universe, but so far as we know, life has arisen exactly once. You can't extrapolate from once. It might be that the odds of life appearing in any given universe the size of ours is one in, say, fifty seven. For example. If that's the case, then no, it's not likely there's any other life in our universe. We already got lucky with our one in fifty-seven odds that life appeared here.

Another thing--what's life in this context? Carbon-based? With "intelligence" comprehensible to us? This is even more of a stretch.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure They Live is a documentary.
Solid logic that I hadn't considered before...
Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

Gonna check out that doc.
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

I do know a guy who was working at Loring Air Force Base in the early 70s when a UFO hovered over their nuclear arsenal for a while sending the base into high alert for days.

I told him we saw some unexplainable things there in the 90s as well.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 30, 2017, 08:49:36 AM
I do know a guy who was working at Loring Air Force Base in the early 70s when a UFO hovered over their nuclear arsenal for a while sending the base into high alert for days.

I told him we saw some unexplainable things there in the 90s as well.

:crazy:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

emay

at first thought this was a thread dedicated to the studies of Tom Delonge

emay

Quote from: mbw on November 29, 2017, 10:56:36 PM
From the netflix thread, this is pretty good relative to other 'films' on the subject.

Quote from: mbw on August 29, 2017, 06:17:26 PM

Pretty well made and intriguing UFO/alien documentary.

this documentary is good! Some interesting conspiracy theories in there

mbw

Quote from: emay on November 30, 2017, 11:00:02 AM
at first thought this was a thread dedicated to the studies of Tom Delonge

isn't it?