News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Slim's analog><digital aesthetic theory?

Started by VA $l!m, May 18, 2006, 08:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itsnotanexperience

help me w/ this - when Donald Fagen released Nightfly back in 1982, it was one of the first fully digital recordings ever (DDD) - it was released both on vinyl and ultimately, CD - is your question - would it sound better on CD or vinyl for playback?   VS. Lez Zeppelin one which was a fully analog recording that later was digitized for CD?

answer me that and i will respond semi-intelligently:)

VA $l!m

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on May 19, 2006, 03:41:48 PM
help me w/ this - when Donald Fagen released Nightfly back in 1982, it was one of the first fully digital recordings ever (DDD) - it was released both on vinyl and ultimately, CD - is your question - would it sound better on CD or vinyl for playback?   VS. Lez Zeppelin one which was a fully analog recording that later was digitized for CD?

this is more of what i'm talking about itsnot,,,
its not a vinyl vs Cd question, but an ANalog vs Digital recording/transfer/playback question.

in my mind, the Fagen album would sound more "correct" played in A digital format, and ZEP I would sound correct played back in ANalog format-- whether its Vinyl or tape or a reel or whatver...

maybe i just don't understand the definition of Analog and digital enough... in my mind though digital is about breaking the sound down into 0001110010101s -- in tiny bites...

forget about vinyl... thats not the point... take an analog tape vs a DAT for examples.

((on a side note, i read a comment the other day on another board something along the lines of :
true audiophile purists feel that true recording sound was lost with the advent of stereo recordings... in other words mono is authentic, and stereo sound is a bastardization of real sound... somethin like that-- i understood what they meant at the time)).
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Itsnotanexperience

okay............well, I feel that i have often prefered digital formats played back on analog gear...........but I also dig analog going through digital..........i guess it just depends...........also, you have to remember that there are generally 3 phases to recording a band:

1)   initial recording
2)   mixdown
3)   mastering

at any point, somebody might throw a digital or analog step in there...........so it's really hard to judge.........

to answer your basic question, to me, it just depends on the recording and the gear...........historically, i think analog recordings and gear sound warmer than digital............but digital is far more crispy.......

i realize i didn't really help your question, though!!!

VA $l!m

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on May 22, 2006, 08:31:41 AM
okay............well, I feel that i have often prefered digital formats played back on analog gear...........but I also dig analog going through digital..........i guess it just depends...........also, you have to remember that there are generally 3 phases to recording a band:

1)   initial recording
2)   mixdown
3)   mastering

at any point, somebody might throw a digital or analog step in there...........so it's really hard to judge.........

to answer your basic question, to me, it just depends on the recording and the gear...........historically, i think analog recordings and gear sound warmer than digital............but digital is far more crispy.......

i realize i didn't really help your question, though!!!

:roll: :-D
thanks for trying. :lol:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: VA slim on May 19, 2006, 05:31:28 PM
Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on May 19, 2006, 03:41:48 PM

this is more of what i'm talking about itsnot,,,
its not a vinyl vs Cd question, but an ANalog vs Digital recording/transfer/playback question.

in my mind, the Fagen album would sound more "correct" played in A digital format, and ZEP I would sound correct played back in ANalog format-- whether its Vinyl or tape or a reel or whatver...

maybe i just don't understand the definition of Analog and digital enough... in my mind though digital is about breaking the sound down into 0001110010101s -- in tiny bites...

forget about vinyl... thats not the point... take an analog tape vs a DAT for examples.

((on a side note, i read a comment the other day on another board something along the lines of :
true audiophile purists feel that true recording sound was lost with the advent of stereo recordings... in other words mono is authentic, and stereo sound is a bastardization of real sound... somethin like that-- i understood what they meant at the time)).

That's the question I was attempting to address when I said that it depends on the recording.

I enjoy Pink Floyd more on Digital...The White Album I prefer on vinyl.

Even nowadays, some digitally recorded music I prefer on vinyl...Sonic Youth's A Thousand Leaves is one of them.

gimmetela

in the immortal words of Ms. Badu, i am "an analog girl in a digital world."

Hicks

I myself always prefer analog playback (except for cassettes), I'll take a fresh reel to reel over a CD any day of the week!

But nothing beats virgin vinyl, that first time you spin it (regardless of what kind of music it is, IMO) is about as close to perfection as it gets, which I suppose would be having the musicians playing right in front of you, with no PA, just monitor>ear. 

Thats MY two cents.

Analog receivers rule too. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.