News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fire Torre?

Started by tet, October 09, 2006, 10:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

He's been manager for 10 years, and the Yankees have made the postseason every single one of those seasons.  Sure, they haven't won the World Series since 2000, but they have won 4 times in those 10 years.  Impressive, to say the least.

But, he makes dumb decisions, like putting in Jeff Weaver in the 12th inning of the World Series against Florida, when Mariano Rivera is still available in the bullpen.  And benching two all stars in this ALDS and playing rookies.  Sure, the players have to produce no matter what, and 20 scoreless innings is pathetic for any team, especially one that has such an astronomical payroll - but the manager has to manage, and Torre's decisions over the last few years have been at least questionable.  His calm demeanor may not be what a team of all stars needs - maybe Pinella (who i hate) or Showalter (who should have never been fired and should still in fact be managing the team) would be a better fit.  I hope not Pinella, cause he's an ass and has yet to prove himself as a winner in my books. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

Sure.
Then the Nats can hire him.  :-D

Of course I wonder how he'd handle a team in a real league where Pitchers actually hit.  :roll:

mattstick

It takes a special kind of manager to keep all those egos in check, and Torre can do it.  All managers make seemingly dumb decisions, but if those decisions pan out then they look like great moves - it's a simple reality of the job.

jedifunk

yep i agree... torre is among the best managers in the game... and in the end its the players that didnt do shit.  fire a-rod.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

ma215

As a Yankees fan it would pain me to see Torre leave the team. But the yank's need some kind of shake-up, either on the team or w/ the manager.  I would like to see Torre manage next year but some major off season moves made.  Trade A-Rod. Yeah, he is one of the greatest players alive right now but NY just isnt for him.  Eat some of his contract and get a quality pitcher and reliever for him (if you can). Let Sheffield and Mussina go this off season.  Try and replace Mussina w/ Philip Hughes who had an OUTSTANDING year at Trenton and hopefully can give the Yanks a season like Cole hammels pitched for the Phillies this year.  Sheffield has no place in the outfield and he should not play first base. Keep Mely Cabrera in left Field and have Matsui as a DH. And strengthen the starting pitching and bullpen through any means necessary.  Try and trade for Zito, who's name always seams to be on the trading block for Shelly Duncan or another prospect or two (not Hughes). The Yankees need a lot of work, luckily they have an owner who will spend the money to improve.

flow00

Go Tigers!  :lol:  :-D

sls.stormyrider

Fire George!!!

Just cause you got all stars at each position doesn't mean you have the best team.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

cleech74

Don't fire Torre.  I like watching the Yanks spend $1 Billion, and not win a pennant in this decade. :clap: :-P
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

tet

Quote from: flow00 on October 09, 2006, 11:02:55 PM
Go Tigers!  :lol:  :-D

yeah, funny.  but Torre's questionable tactics go back far beyond the passed week.  though as Sheffield said, moving A-Rod to the 8 spot and benching either Shef or Giambi only emboldened the Tigers' desire.  so, it proved to backfire pretty bad.

Quote from: shoreline99 on October 09, 2006, 11:14:25 PM
go red sox!

you don't even belong in this conversation.  you've got another 80 years of october golf to enjoy before you can rejoin any postseason baseball talk... :samurai:
-Phish

August

tet

Quote from: august on October 09, 2006, 11:26:43 PM
LETS GO METS!
a
again, off topic... next one gets 24 hour bannination
-Phish

sophist

^I don't think thats a word  :wink:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

August

Quote from: tet on October 09, 2006, 11:28:37 PM
Quote from: august on October 09, 2006, 11:26:43 PM
LETS GO METS!
a
again, off topic... next one gets 24 hour bannination

ok...
i say fire him.
a

tet

Quote from: phan003 on October 09, 2006, 11:30:09 PM
^I don't think thats a word  :wink: