News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

question: source transfers & track listing

Started by jedifunk, January 25, 2005, 12:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

hey all;

just wondering out loud here.  in response to the discussion going on in the comments of the 7-10-97 Marseille show, about overuse of "jams" as tracks.

how does everyone like to recieve their filesets?  using the 7-10 show as an example:
Disc 1 (set 1):
1. Dogs Stole Things
2. Limb By Limb
3. Ginseng Sullivan
4. Bathtub Gin ->
5. Sick Funk Jam #1 ->
6. Bathtub Gin
7. Llama->
8. Sick Funk Jam #2 ->
9. Wading in the Velvet Sea
10.Sick Funk Jam #3 ->
11.Lizards Jam*
12.Oblivious Fool

did the person who did the transfer/tracking overuse "jams" when making the tracks?

personally i would rather have gotten something with less tracks.  take the bathtub > jam > bathtub.  i would preferred to get just bathtub.

for those that have listened to this show (or havent), in the middle of the "jam" trey briefly returns to the bathtub theme before continuing on with the "jam", then the whole band returns to finish bathtub.  to me it was just a 22 min bathtub gin, not a 12 min bathtub > 7 min jam > 2 min bathtub ending.

so...whats everyones take on tracking? strict following of songs, or loose & jammy?
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

I'd never track out a jam like that, but I do my tracking pretty conservatively.

HYHU > Fishman song > HYHU is always one track

TMWSIY >
Avenu Malkenu > TMWSIY
is done as 2 tracks...

etc

jedifunk

exactly.  thats how i'd do it if i ever did tranfers/tracking.

i would also probably do horse > silent as one track.

and depending on what it is, i would include other jams/teases/quotes in a single track.  ie: hood>dfb>hood, since i probably would never listen to the dfb all by itself.  things of that nature

anyone else?  i'd like to get others opinions on this, since i have a pretty strong feeling on what i prefer.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

guyforget

Id never track out jams like that either; even though 7/10/97 is a great show and a great tape...  

I typically dont care about how its tracked out if its error free though; thats what bugs me.  I hate downloading filesets that need me to fix them before I burn audios or archives.  I pretty much refuse to archive anything with errors.  

If I were doing transfers of my own Id like Fishman tracks to be all one track.  No separate tracks for HYHU, please.  I like The Horse > Silent to be 2 tracks; I like sandwich jams like Hood > DFB > Hood to be one track.  I like the first TMWSIY to be its own track with the finishing Avenu > TMWSIY to be a  single track.
-AD_

jephrey

I never taped so I have never transferred but...  when I do get stuff that is split, when I modify it, I try to follow the HPB.  there are only "Jam" tracks when the jam is pretty big.  It may not be the best to follow but it keeps my collection consistent with something.  I prefer no jam tracks unless it starts, then stops and is not appended to another song in any way.

-Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

agreed.

take 12-7-97 dayton tube > tube jam for example.  that i WOULD prefer as 2 tracks.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

kkaye

Yup too many jams for that show, but transfering can be tricky, like when I transfered my copy of Camden 04,
I got slack for not noting the Maze > Kung > Maze , but thems the breaks.

Also, for myself I always track out crowd noise after the end of set 2 and before the encore,
giving people the option to cut it out if they wish.

jephrey

About that set2-encore break...

1.  you don't want a skip, even in the cheering so I can't imagine anyone just removing that cheering.
2.  I could see cutting most of it out and crossfading so it seems like there's just 10 secs of cheering but that doesn't preserve the originality of the show.
3.  If you have it as a track, you still have to hit >next to go to the next song, same as if it was part of the last track of set 2 (just harder to remove (plus if you do, it changes the fileset)

My personal pref is that it's part of the last song of set 2.  Like I said, if you want to skip it, you'd still hit the >next button on your player so no deal there, and it makes for a cleaner text setlist instead of having "Crowd" there.  If I need to remove it to fit discs, I will and then fade out set 2 and fade in the encore.  The only difference between that and crossfading IMO is that crossfading can trick you into thinking there wasn't a 2-4 minute encore break.  The fade out-in says there was a longer section of cheering there, kinda like between sets.  Just my anal opinions.  Once I don't have to burn to discs, I'll always leave it there, and always connect it to the end of set 2.

-Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

personally i actually like when the set2-encore crowd is tracked out, cuz i actually DO delete that track.

although it must be noted that i find CDs to be very 90s. ;)  i put all my shit on my ipod so i could care less about crowd noise.  takes up HD space anyways.  but obviously thats just me, not everyone has an ipod, but eventually they will ;)

but again, to go back to the show i used as an example, that is rediculous tracking, imho.  way way too many tracks.

personally i prefer less than more.  if i want to track a jam out, i'll go in with my own software and do it myself.  again i understand not everyone has that ability.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio