News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

ipod question

Started by adavem, May 07, 2007, 08:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adavem

getting ready to make the plunge and buy one.if i convert to the aac format(or whatever it is called)how many gd or phish shows can i expect to fit on an 80gb unit?i know you cant give an exact number...just looking for a ballpark figure.

jedifunk

well i can tell ya...

i've currently got 157 phish shows on my ipod and that is
- 2786 songs, 17 days, 18hrs, 34 min, 52 sec, or 23.67 GBs of phish....

i also have 163 other artists on my ipod for a total of 6893 songs, 29 days, 18 hrs and change.

those combine equal 44.84 GBs...

then i have 853MBs worth of video & 85MBs of pictures, plus all my contacts & calendars, and 12GBs from a backup of my powerbook... and a few 100MBs of misc. files..

all this comes to a grand total of about 58GBs, and i've got a shade over 16GBs left...

hope that helps
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

And don't underestimate rotating shows in and out.  There's a great thread here about installing rockbox or something, which lets you play flacs from the pod.  Personally, I keep 2-5 shows (In apple lossless) on the pod at one time and rotate in and out.  It's easy to do, makes it so I have no lossless>lossy conversion, and I don't have to worry about any mixups.

I know I'm in the minority though.  Most just do as Jedi.  And that's perfectly fine.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

DoW

I've also considered the 80 gig route, but after seeing this maybe I will go with a 30 gig.
curious jedi, what bitrate are you using?
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

antelope19

Quote from: bvaz on May 08, 2007, 09:09:24 AM
I've also considered the 80 gig route, but after seeing this maybe I will go with a 30 gig.
curious jedi, what bitrate are you using?

I bought the 60 gig almost a year ago, don't get me wrong, I LOVE it.  But seriously, at this point, why wouldn't you go with the 30 gig.  Apple is charging virtually the same thing for the 8 gig Nano vs. the 30 gig video!!!!   :-o
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

I have an 8GB Nano and a 60GB video

Different tools for different days.

antelope19

rowjimmy

I'm using rockbox on my 30g video.
It's excellent.I have about 10gb of Flacs on there and a dozen gigs of mp3s.
The only drawback to rockbox is that it's not in a final release for the 5th gen ipods so, no mmeg4 playback. However, it's dual boot so, if I want to watch a video, I simply switch to the apple OS.

DoW

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

jephrey

You might want to hold off on an iPod purchase.  The rumors are starting to fly about a touch-screen iPod coming as the iPhone is released.  This means that the price-points of all previous iPods will most likely drop (if the new one doesn't interest you).

The rumor isn't reliable, and possibly made by someone just thinking logically, but it wouldn't surprise me, and I think the time for new iPods will be soon as well.  I'm just not sure if Apple will wait to match larger sizes with Flash.  Personally, I think the new iPod 6G lineup should be a 40G Flash and an 80G and 120G HD.  Full touch-screen with text search and a notepad.  Screw it, how about the iPhone without the phone?  Keep the camera.  $499.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

antelope19

When is the next release scheduled for?

jephrey

None scheduled, just rumors, but it seems logical to release a new iPod soon, and definitely by the fall. 

New, unaired apple ad

[youtube=425,350]yePwAl_pqMk[/youtube]

J

tet

there is an unfounded rumor of an iPod update today, but i haven't seen much evidence of that yet.  Apple does not generally announce the release of a product before it is ready to ship - the iPhone and Apple TV are the lone exceptions to that. 

just a note about the current 80 gig model.  it will NOT support Rockbox (the alternative firmware mentioned above, which lets you load other file formats not supported by Apple).  apparently there is a difference in the way the 80 gig model communicates with its hard drive compared to the other models, so it's not likely to ever support Rockbox, at least not in the near future.  i think the same will be true for any newer, larger capacity models.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

antelope19

Quote from: tet on May 08, 2007, 10:27:30 AM

just a note about the current 80 gig model.  it will NOT support Rockbox (the alternative firmware mentioned above, which lets you load other file formats not supported by Apple).  apparently there is a difference in the way the 80 gig model communicates with its hard drive compared to the other models, so it's not likely to ever support Rockbox, at least not in the near future.  i think the same will be true for any newer, larger capacity models.

Do you think that is just apple trying to force people to use their software? 

tet

Quote from: antelope19 on May 08, 2007, 10:29:33 AM
Do you think that is just apple trying to force people to use their software? 
well, they don't make the hard drives, so i doubt it.  it has to do with the drive controller's usage of 1024 bytes per instruction compared to the other models' 512 bytes per instruction, or something like that.  Apple just puts together the components and makes the controller board, but the controller board has to fit with the specs of the drive, and Apple certainly does not manufacture those (likely they are Toshiba drives).  i wouldn't put it passed Apple to prevent us from installing alternative software, but they haven't ever done it up until the 80 gig model, and Rockbox has been around for a while without running into a model that gave them such problems.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish