News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

shine

Started by adavem, May 18, 2007, 03:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adavem

my copy of the cd has the fbi anti piracy warning thing.will i mess up my computer if i upload it to itunes to put it on my ipod?

cimsm

no, but it will mess up your ears...   :evil:

:-D

rowjimmy

Are you talking about that little logo on the back label?

The logo won't mess your computer up.

cimsm

Sorry about that...
I did hear a while back about a "code" that would automatically dl to your computer, and would monitor file-sharing, but I don't know what all became of that.  I did hear that Shine was one of the discs that had the code on it.

Is that just me, or does anyone else remember that?

I do know that it has nothing to do with the FBI warning on the back.

antelope19

Ha, I seem to remember some sort of cluster fu@# with Sony and the trey album.  I forget now though.   :|
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sls.stormyrider

yea - sony recalled the discs. I don't know if they re-released them and when that was. If you bought it when it first came out, I would NOT play it with your computer.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

The initial release of the cd had the spyware component.
If you didn't buy it on day-1 of release, you are probably safe.
To avoid it, either, put it in a mac (yes I said that) or disable "autorun" on your cd drive by holding down the shift key when you insert the disc.

adavem

i bought it at TAB concert right after its release.signed by Trey.does that mean its cool to play?

rowjimmy

jephrey

Send it to me and I'll burn you a safe copy...

I'd also suggest finding a mac user to import and send it over to you or burn you the data.  Definitely the easiest.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hicks

There is a chance it will put spyware on your comp. they recalled them, but the initial release was fucked.

Sony sucks, they recently released a shit ton of DVDs that wouldn't play on a something like a third of all current players because of new anti-piracy software that they didn't test completely.

It was a major headache for us.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

tet

i think even if it installs the 'rootkit', Sony has a rootkit remover for download... but good luck finding it on their website...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

Just download it.
You own the cd, you have a license for the music. Let someone else do the ripping risk the spyware.

mattstick

If your copy is just the CD, it may have rootkit.

If your copy is the CD/DVD combo disc, it does not have rootkit.

nab

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 18, 2007, 09:41:30 PM
Just download it.
You own the cd, you have a license for the music. Let someone else do the ripping risk the spyware.

RJ is spot on, but you'll have to be careful and not upload any while dling it.  That would be illegal.