News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

"WOOT" named word of the year

Started by antelope19, December 12, 2007, 11:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

According to Merriam-Webster, "Woot" is the official word of the year.  :-D  :lol: I'm glad to see it is finally getting the recognition it deserves!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22205339/?GT1=10645

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - Expect cheers among hardcore online game enthusiasts when they learn Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year. Or, more accurately, expect them to "w00t."

"W00t," a hybrid of letters and numbers used by gamers as an exclamation of happiness, topped all other terms in the Springfield dictionary publisher's online poll for the word that best sums up 2007.

Merriam-Webster's president, John Morse, said "w00t" was an ideal choice because it blends whimsy and new technology.

"It shows a really interesting thing that's going on in language. It's a term that's arrived only because we're now communicating electronically with each other," Morse said.

Gamers commonly substitute numbers and symbols for the letters they resemble, Morse says, creating what they call "l33t speak" — that's "leet" when spoken, short for "elite" to the rest of the world.

For technophobes, the word also is familiar from the 1990 movie "Pretty Woman," in which Julia Roberts startles her date's upper-crust friends with a hearty "Woot, woot, woot!" at a polo match.

The 2006 pick, "truthiness," also has its roots in pop culture. It was popularized by Comedy Central satirical political commentator Stephen Colbert.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

willsteele

I only ever used "woot" as sort of a joke word.  But I used it and words like "dope", "word", "props", etc. so much that they became part of my regular vocabulary.  Its quite strange.  Props to woot I suppose. 
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

hoodie22

mattstick

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment