Mind = Blown
Fun Facts about The Force Awakens
1) Finn’s Stormtrooper ID number is FN-2187, which is the same number as the cell block where Leia is imprisoned in "A New Hope."
2) Many familiar banners can be seen hanging outside Maz Kanata’s outpost. These include several of the podracers' flags from "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" and the mythosaur skull from Boba Fett’s uniform.
3) The Millennium Falcon chess game that Finn accidentally triggers pays homage to an earlier film by picking up right where the chess game between R2D2 and Chewie left off in "A New Hope." The piece that gets body slammed in the original game gets revenge by hitting its assailant with a mace this time around.
4) The Abednedo X-wing pilot is named 'Ello Asty' after the 1998 Beastie Boys' album, 'Hello Nasty.' On the package of his officially licensed toy, the Aurebesh text on his helmet reads “born to ill,” which is another Beastie Boys reference as well as a reference to the Stanley Kubrick film "Full Metal Jacket." (1987)
5) The archway in Rey’s village on Jakku was actually originally designed by Ralph McQuarrie to be part of Jabba’s Palace on Tatooine. Another impact he had on the film.
Those banners lend credence to a pretty cool fan theory that Maz Kanata is actually the last (and tallest) Jawa. In The Phantom Menace two Jawas are watching the pod races and the taller one is one of them. Then in a New Hope when the Jawas have R2 there are 7 of them (including one that is taller), but after the storm troopers kill them there are only 6 bodies. Plus Maz's goggles make her eyes glow yellow, just like a Jawa. There's more to the theory, but I cant recall any more details right now.