News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPhone Thread

Started by mattstick, July 10, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

So, today I tested my wife's headphone-lightning adapter from her new 7 when I went to the gym. It's not as obtrusive as I was fearing. I still think it's an obnoxious move on Apple's part, but luckily it's not the end of the world.
Is this still Wombat?

Caravan2001

I haven't found the adapter to be too bad, except when you lose them.  Inconvenient, yes, but not a huge deal.

sls.stormyrider

came across this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/09/20/apple-ios-11-has-25-great-secret-features/#1dd137f33858

QuoteFlac Support - The Files app unofficially supports playback of high quality FLAC lossless audio files. Store them in Files or in anywhere Files can access (iCloud, Dropbox, Box, Google Drive etc) and it will play them when opened.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

August

Picked up the 8.
Going from the 6S to the 8 is seamless.
It's a nice telephone.

runawayjimbo

Well ain't that some bullshit

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/20/16800058/apple-iphone-slow-fix-battery-life-capacity

Apple confirms iPhones with older batteries will take hits in performance
It makes sense, but the company could have been a bit more transparent

Reddit users have noticed that Apple appears to be slowing down old iPhones that have low-capacity batteries. While many iPhone users have experienced perceived slowdowns due to iOS updates over the years, it appears that there's now proof Apple is throttling processor speeds when a battery capacity deteriorates over time.

Geekbench developer John Poole has mapped out performance for the iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 over time, and has come to the conclusion that Apple's iOS 10.2.1 and 11.2.0 updates introduce this throttling for different devices. iOS 10.2.1 is particularly relevant, as this update was designed to reduce random shutdown issues for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S. Apple's fix appears to be throttling the CPU to prevent the phone from randomly shutting down. Geekbench reports that iOS 11.2.0 introduces similar throttling for iPhone 7 units with older batteries.

Some Reddit users report that replacing their batteries has returned performance and CPU clock speeds back to normal. The reports are particularly troubling because any perceived slowdowns by iPhone users might tempt owners to upgrade their entire device instead of replace the battery. "This fix will also cause users to think, 'my phone is slow so I should replace it' not, 'my phone is slow so I should replace its battery,'" says Geekbench's John Poole.

Quote@sam_siruomu
So it's true Apple intentionally slow down old iPhones. Proof: My iPhone 6 was bought 3years ago and recently got really slow. APP 'CPU DasherX' shows iPhone CPU is under clocked running at 600MHz. After a iPhone battery replacement. CPU speed resumed to factory setting 1400MHz.

When reached for comment, Apple basically confirmed the findings to The Verge, but disputes the assumed intention:

Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components.

Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We've now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future.

Apple is effectively saying that it's not slowing down older iPhones just to urge people to upgrade to newer devices. Rather, the company says it's addressing an issue with devices containing older lithium-ion batteries that results in unexpected shutdowns. Because those older batteries are incapable of handling peak current draws with the same effectiveness of iPhones with newer batteries and more efficient processors, they run the risk of the device powering down to prevent damage to its internal components. The same is true of devices running in extremely cold or hot weather, as evidenced by a recent kerfuffle with the iPhone X shutting down randomly in freezing temperatures.

It all makes sense. As battery life degrades, a smartphone's ability to achieve the same performance with less efficient battery use degrades as well, and Apple has released updates to address that problem as best it can and avoid embarrassing device malfunctions or even potentially dangerous component failures. However, the company isn't doing itself very many favors by being a bit opaque. It's clear that controversies like this — underpinned by conspiracy theories around planned obsolescence — sprout up because there is a lack of communication between device manufacturers like Apple and consumers.

It's also clear that Apple, which makes its devices hard to open and repair, could do a better job helping consumers understand the benefits of battery replacement. That's something the company seems less inclined to do when it might mean forgoing the sale of a new iPhone every 12 to 24 months.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

ph92

I'm already getting calls from customer's about this bullshit.

Fuck apple and iOS 11, literally nothing but headaches for the repair industry since they released it.

I love pissed off people
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

mbw

sls.stormyrider

odd question
I have an iphone 7+, ios 11.2.1
Over the weekend I powered down the phone at night. When I powered it up the next day, it said that I needed to change the unlock code for the phone. I was tired and am used to seeing those kind of messages on pc at work, so I did. It didn't ask me for any icloud password or any password whatsoever. I googled it and didn't come up with a straight answer.

the only weird thing that happened operationally is that the 1st time I tried to sync phone to MBP, it stopped after 2 steps, it didn't copy any of the changes I made in itunes. then it said the MBP didn't recognize my phone. It said changes were made, should I apply. I said yes, thinking it meant the unlock code. It still didn't sync, so I rebooted both MBP and phone. When I re booted MBP it said that the computer shut down prematurely but restarted and everything synced fine. As usual, I was kinda in a rush to leave the house as this was going on, so didn't think too much about it. Until now

any ideas????
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

Quote from: slslbs on January 02, 2018, 11:43:05 AM
odd question
I have an iphone 7+, ios 11.2.1
Over the weekend I powered down the phone at night. When I powered it up the next day, it said that I needed to change the unlock code for the phone. I was tired and am used to seeing those kind of messages on pc at work, so I did. It didn't ask me for any icloud password or any password whatsoever. I googled it and didn't come up with a straight answer.

the only weird thing that happened operationally is that the 1st time I tried to sync phone to MBP, it stopped after 2 steps, it didn't copy any of the changes I made in itunes. then it said the MBP didn't recognize my phone. It said changes were made, should I apply. I said yes, thinking it meant the unlock code. It still didn't sync, so I rebooted both MBP and phone. When I re booted MBP it said that the computer shut down prematurely but restarted and everything synced fine. As usual, I was kinda in a rush to leave the house as this was going on, so didn't think too much about it. Until now

any ideas????

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! 

no, it's probably fine - i've had that weird message on the iPhone before (on my 7+ as well), and nothing ever came of it.  i think the 'crash' was just coincidence, so as long as everything is syncing and working fine now, i wouldn't sweat it. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

VDB

I'm still on iOS 10 because I'm still jailbroken. And at this point the only reason I'm still jailbroken is to disable the obnoxious downloading and notification nagging of iOS updates.

I was reading today to see if that's still a problem with iOS 12. Articles seem to claim that you can stop this download-and-pester problem via Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Automatic Downloads / Updates = off. However, that toggle has been available since at least 10, and it never did anything to stop the issue.

Can people on 12 confirm if this is something you can actually control now via the phone? I know there are options to block servers via your router, plus another hack or two, but I prefer something global and definitive.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

That setting you're pointing to is for app updates. Turn that on, apps stay up to date and life is generally fine.

Running OS updates is painless and easy.
They run when I'm sleeping.
Why not just do them?

VDB

Chiefly because I don't want Apple to be the ones in charge of the timeline on which my phone turns slow and useless due to newer software it can't handle. They say 12 isn't a problem for old models in the way updates used to be (I'm not worried about 12 specifically), but Apple's overall track record on this is worrying.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Quote from: VDB on January 09, 2019, 11:31:19 AM
Chiefly because I don't want Apple to be the ones in charge of the timeline on which my phone turns slow and useless due to newer software it can't handle. They say 12 isn't a problem for old models in the way updates used to be (I'm not worried about 12 specifically), but Apple's overall track record on this is worrying.
They're so good when they work though...

sls.stormyrider

when I'm streaming from etree on my phone, the music stops when the screen dims.
Is there a way to keep it playing?

no luck on google search
thx