News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Alphabetizing is fun.

Let's see some doubles!

aphineday

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 03, 2012, 10:05:37 PM
Nice. Mine already sounds so much better than it did with a nice Shure cartridge, a decent pre and the Aperions, I can't imagine how much better I could gt it sounding... I am very happy with it right now.

Anyway, inspired by RJ, I have been alphabetizing my collection today. So far I am to through "G"

Turns out I have a ton of doubles... May offer them up for the board at heavily discounted prices. Anyone interested?
Definitely interested!
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Augustus

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 03, 2012, 10:33:28 PM
Alphabetizing is fun.

Let's see some doubles!

Varying degrees of quality here... I'll be honest about condition.

Willie nelson - Red Headed Stranger - old cover, clean vinyl, plays great. 
NRPS - panama red. Used, plays great.
Pink Floyd. Wish you were here. Used looks really clean.
Rolling Stones. Get yer ya ya's out. Old very few scratches.
Rolling stones. Big hits high tide and green grass. Very clean
Argo Guthrie. Hobo's lullaby. I love this album. Great shape. Plays very well
Dead. Europe 72. Cover is a mess and falling apart. Vinyl is clean and plays great
George gershwins rhapsody in blue and an American in Paris. Very old, but collectible condition.
Getz/Gilberto. Cover is coming apart at. The bottom, but vinyl is perfect and clean.
Townes van Zandt. Our mother the mountain. Sealed brand new. Oops!
Velvet underground. Loaded. Mint.
The who. Live at Leeds. Old but plays great.
Zappa/mothers. Foxy & elsewhere. Old but plays great.
Little feat. Time loves a hero. Old but plays great.
Janis Joplin. Kozmic blues. Used. Well used. Should play fine.
Creedence. Cosmos factory. Used but plays great.
Ray Charles. Modern sounds in country and western music. I have 4 extras of this album in varying quality, none great. All well loved by someone. I finally purchased a sealed copy.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

PIE-GUY

The fewer packages I have to send the cheaper it is for me, so make a list of what you want and make me an offer by pm. I will check t out and make some sort of decision based on your offers and how cool I think you are. This is vinyl we're talking about... It's snob time!

Hicks

Solid Goodwill haul yesterday:

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 03, 2012, 10:05:37 PM
Nice. Mine already sounds so much better than it did with a nice Shure cartridge, a decent pre and the Aperions, I can't imagine how much better I could gt it sounding... I am very happy with it right now.

It was a splurge and better sounding is relative, but you are coming from a decent pre.  I am coming from circa 1987 Realistic that was like $15.00.  I have eliminated so much line noise and added a ton of punch.  Not really psyched that I added another "full-size" component (real estate wise) but it does sound killer.  I am looking it at it from the standpoint of not having to buy another phono stage...I am pretty happy with my Shure cart as well....

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on March 04, 2012, 02:27:36 PM

Def solid....which Goodwill?  I only go to The Bins and vinyl there is fully trashed....

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 04, 2012, 02:29:54 PM
Quote from: Hicks on March 04, 2012, 02:27:36 PM

Def solid....which Goodwill?  I only go to The Bins and vinyl there is fully trashed....

The one by my house on Powell.  Left a bunch more that were in poor condition. 

These are slightly warped but I think they will still play fine.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Augustus

Just picked up that Brubeck recently.
Think I'll spin it later.

roggae

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 04, 2012, 01:48:04 PM
Alphabetizing is fun.

Let's see some doubles!

Dead. Europe 72. Cover is a mess and falling apart. Vinyl is clean and plays great
George gershwins rhapsody in blue and an American in Paris. Very old, but collectible condition.
Getz/Gilberto. Cover is coming apart at. The bottom, but vinyl is perfect and clean.
Ray Charles. Modern sounds in country and western music. I have 4 extras of this album in varying quality, none great. All well loved by someone. I finally purchased a sealed copy.

Is that loaded a reissue?
Clearly it's all awful.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: roggae on March 04, 2012, 03:49:29 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 04, 2012, 01:48:04 PM
Alphabetizing is fun.

Let's see some doubles!

Is that loaded a reissue?

I think so. I bought it new sealed. It's 180g.

nab

Quote from: Augustus on March 04, 2012, 02:49:42 PM

Picked up that one back in high school.  Check it: the mid-90's, before vinyl was cool again.

Seriously though, great album.   Best drum solo ever on Take 5.  Adding the fifth in the four.  Jazz at it's finest; well noted and well worth the listen.   

PIE-GUY

Quote from: nab on March 04, 2012, 09:33:06 PM
Quote from: Augustus on March 04, 2012, 02:49:42 PM

Picked up that one back in high school.  Check it: the mid-90's, before vinyl was cool again.

Seriously though, great album.   Best drum solo ever on Take 5.  Adding the fifth in the four.  Jazz at it's finest; well noted and well worth the listen.

Saw Brubeck for free at the Chicago Jazzfest one summer - it was amazing. He's old, but it was amazing.

nab

Thinking about the resurgence of vinyl over the last decade I have to wonder something:

Anyone in the digital era who gives vinyl a decent listen, given that they don't have a ear of leather with a brass eardrum, can see the obvious superiority of the medium in reproducing the sonic spectrum.  Even the science makes sense in a mathematical sort of way:  Who would expect a group of squares to ever approximate the circular curve of a sound wave, the perfect pendulum of pi. 

And yet, I suspect, that despite the obvious auditory benefits of listening to a record, the sneaking, the dark horse, motivation in building a vinyl collection, is to actually and physically own my music collection again like I did before the digital era.

Everyone has an mp3 copy of album X.  More sophisticated musicologists have the flac rip.  Better yet, those in the know have the 100% (based on site specific criteria and site specific criteria only) flac, or even the dl (or official) flac of a given album.

But none of them have my vinyl copy.  It was printed in X at X location and has been played X amount of times with X care.  And no one can take that away from me, and no one can disprove me either. 

Not saying I don't enjoy an analog lifestyle, I'm just trying to be honest with myself about my motivations.