News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

College sports conference re-alignments (for lack of a better word)

Started by DoW, September 19, 2011, 07:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoW

to start, I bleed Orange during college basketball season and have loved Syracuse since I can remember (and I am from CT).   being away this weekend, I learned of the SU plans to join the ACC via text and it made me sick.  Jim Boeheim wants to retire in the next few years anyway.  I hope his last season is SU's last in the Big East and Mike opkins can take over the team as they join the Big East.  I will lobve a ACC super conference but no SU/Gtown games? 

Founder of the Big East Dave Gavitt passed away this weekend (RIP) and this weekend the Bog East died too.  The faces of the Big East had one last man standing Louie C. John Thompson are retired.  Rollie Masimino has moved on as well.  Jim Calhoun is a long standing miserable face but he wasn't there at the beginning and UCONN will probably join SU and Pitt in the ACC anyway.

With all the talk of paying college athletes, this shows how much the schools are in it for the money.  The players deserve a share.

Then the talk of the ACC tourney at MSG.  how ridiculous is that?  I mean, it is SU's home away from home but ACC tourney ion NYC?

As much as I hate it, I think it may make me get BC season tickets now.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

antelope19

Growing up an ACC fan, I'll be psyched to have Syracuse.

But I can def. relate, if there was no more Duke/UNC, I'd probably be pretty upset.

This should make for some great basketball and lacrosse games though.......   
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

phil

Quote from: antelope19 on September 19, 2011, 08:06:41 PM

But I can def. relate, if there was no more Duke/UNC, I'd probably be pretty upset.

Growing up an ACC fan, I'm very disappointed by this move. I hate the idea of a superconference (I thought twelve teams was too many, who cares about a conference championship game). I suppose it will be good for basketball, but I kind of liked it when Maryland was the farthest north team in the league.

All I can say is they better stop at 14. 16 is just plain unwieldy, not to mention we're likely to get some lame school like Rutgers or something (personally I think WVU would be a better addition)
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

DoW

Quote from: phil on September 19, 2011, 08:20:48 PM

Growing up an ACC fan, I'm very disappointed by this move. I hate the idea of a superconference (I thought twelve teams was too many, who cares about a conference championship game). I suppose it will be good for basketball, but I kind of liked it when Maryland was the farthest north team in the league.

All I can say is they better stop at 14. 16 is just plain unwieldy, not to mention we're likely to get some lame school like Rutgers or something (personally I think WVU would be a better addition)
wvu is better for multi-sports but if you can get uconn, 16 teams is worth it.  the football program is also growing too.

basically 16 teams shiftys from the big east to acc.  it sucks but you have top 10 match-ups every week.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

phil

Quote from: bvaz on September 19, 2011, 08:30:21 PM
Quote from: phil on September 19, 2011, 08:20:48 PM

wvu is better for multi-sports but if you can get uconn, 16 teams is worth it.  the football program is also growing too.

basically 16 teams shiftys from the big east to acc.  it sucks but you have top 10 match-ups every week.

For me, the big thing is that I always liked the 9-team ACC because you played everyone in the conference every year. This whole notion of 16 teams is ludicrous to me because how can you say that a team is the conference champion if they've only played half the teams in the league?
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

VDB

All this conference re-alignment is a joke and I think everyone in the world knows it's all about revenues and nothing else. Not tradition, not even geography, and not rivalries. The experience of the "student-athletes" and the fans is about as low a priority as it gets.

The conferences and complicit university presidents must think we're all idiots as they spout off in vague generalities about why they are blowing up the college sports landscape, but not a peep about the money issue. If they think there's any chance of getting the fans to support this hysteria, they ought to come out and acknowledge the financial angle but position it in a meaningful "why is this good for our university" fashion. Right now, the average fan is sitting there going, "OK, so the conference is going to get richer, but why the hell should I care? Why is that worth the havoc this is causing?" The fact that no one is willing to address the money side and even make an attempt at spinning it into a positive seems to show that they don't give a shit if you like what's going on or not.

It's all pretty much a huge money grab and it makes college athletics an even more laughable system than it is already. Maybe all the power players are thinking, "hey, we jumped the shark long ago, why stop now?" The thing is, do you really think people are going to stop going to games or watching on TV or otherwise forking their money over to college athletics? Of course not. So where's the economic incentive for these clowns to act sensible?

I'm an SEC fan and I'm frankly not too jazzed about A&M. As much as anything, that's for their own fans' sakes. Say goodbye to Texas football rivalries and other meaningful geographic matchups. Hello, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt. I could possibly deal with 14-team leagues, but I'd like to see non-conference cakewalk games cut from the schedule as leagues expand. Sixteen teams feels a little more unwieldy, and I definitely would hate to see the number of in-conference games stay the same as that would result in teams' schedules being even more dissimilar, which would undermine the legitimacy of regular-season standings.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Quote from: antelope19 on September 19, 2011, 08:30:13 PM
I'd be ok with WVU

I bet WVU is holding out for an SEC invite. You've gotta think the ACC would have preferred them to Pitt or SU on the basis of their football program, and so I wouldn't be surprised if they asked WVU and were turned down. Adding Pitt and SU, a couple on-again, off-again programs, feels like a defensive move.
Is this still Wombat?

phil

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 19, 2011, 08:50:52 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on September 19, 2011, 08:30:13 PM
I'd be ok with WVU

I bet WVU is holding out for an SEC invite. You've gotta think the ACC would have preferred them to Pitt or SU on the basis of their football program, and so I wouldn't be surprised if they asked WVU and were turned down. Adding Pitt and SU, a couple on-again, off-again programs, feels like a defensive move.

Basketball reigns supreme in the ACC. You see what happened last time we brought in football goons (basketball and football both suffered with a few exceptions). Still, I'd rather have WVU than these yankees we're stuck with.

blatboom

I agree this is lame and I hate it, but we're on our way to four 16-team conferences very soon.  this is all A&M's fault.

phil

The big 12 was always fucking lame, Texas just basically bullied the other schools around until CU and Nebraska said enough is enough. now texas is panicked because they see the potential for them to get left out in the cold and they're crying to the pac-12 to bail them out and basically leaving all the other big-12 schools out to dry. Sucks to see the douchebags get an easy way out.