News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things ViDEO GAMES

Started by VA $l!m, March 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 12, 2017, 03:59:56 PM
I am contemplating buying an X Box, as I've never had one before, and am hashing the pros and cons buying a S vs a X level of console, and I wanted to ask a couple of questions of those of you who have owned this console for awhile and maybe even have the X already in your home.

I own a 4K Samsung, but it is of the generation between where the 4K TV's hit the market, and HDR became all the rage (i.e. it doesn't have HDR). It's a lovely TV, but it is missing that spec.

I can either go all out and buy the X (but I am a bit concerned I won't be able to reap all the rewards of that console, visually, given the "limitations" of the TV), or I can buy the S (which while not being able to "do" native 4K, can act as my 4K Blu Ray player which is roughly 50% of the reason why I am buying this console) and trade in my PS4 to upgrade to a PS4 Pro. It will all shake out to about the same amount of money.

Has anyone been able to play both of these consoles and seen a major difference? Some info about my gaming habits:
1) I play 10-20 hours of games per week, max.
2) Main reason for getting Xbox from a gaming standpoint: The Forza Series. I may play around with games like Assassin's Creed and Battlefront, but I mostly stick to driving sims/story lines and sports games, above all, FIFA. And, of course, those types of games are already available on the PS platform.

I'm thinking the S route is probably the best way to go, since this is entry for me, but I am interested in hearing from any of you who have the X that the "look" of it is absolutely worth the cost at this time. Any input is appreciated.
i dont own either a Pro or the new xbox, but i watch a ton of gaming info vids, so heres my take...
you got alot of variables going on in your decision making and the 1st thing that jumped out at me is you said you could upgrade your ps4 to a pro if you went the cheaper xbox route.
well, if thats the case i can tell you the new xbox isnt going to hold much over a pro for the forseeable future, so, win win... except then i guess it comes down to which console has the games you care about looking the best- IE - FOrza..
- however, this is really more of a futre proofing decision b/c with your current tv i dont think the upgrade to pro or the new xbox is going to make a huge difference
without HDR, and i'm assuming it doesnt have a wide color gamut etiher?... youre in that in between spot i am currently in where  gaming in 1080 is really where its at.. MY tv even does HDR but its not even really worth it for the basic ps4 games that support it.
In all reality true 4k gaming is more of a marketing gimick at this point if you read up about it, and although things keep moving forward it is still along ways from being the norm.

ONE nice thing the new xbox is going to do though is allow 1440 rez... or whatever that # is between 1080 and 4k that most pc gamers use currently.
Runnign 4k at 60fps for online games is another real hurdle that is causing issues. In fact many AAA online games have just started achieving 60 fps in 1080 on console... and most pc gamers think 1440 is the compromise that makes sense for rex and speed right now.

anyway, i ramble and prob didnt help you, but really i think it comes down to how far ahead you want to  future proof with the console if say you might get another tv soon.
i actually saw a piece yesterday saying true NExt gen is coming in 2019, whereas the pro and X are 1.5 iterations.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

ps- 30 ish hours til Battlefront2 early enlister... im jonesin so hard. :crazy:

tet

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

I'll probably still get it unless Slim changes his tune.

In which case I'll keep on trucking through Skyrim.

Bobafett

I feel like I have to get this game.   The first one was worth all I paid for it, and this is a definite improvement over that. 

Will I drop more coin on it?  Doubtful.

I do hope the community continues to bitch about it because I dislike the pay to be better option that is creeping into every game now.  And yes, EA is a money hungry company that Disney will likely buy and whore out.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: VA $l!m on November 12, 2017, 04:38:38 PM
Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 12, 2017, 03:59:56 PM
I am contemplating buying an X Box, as I've never had one before, and am hashing the pros and cons buying a S vs a X level of console, and I wanted to ask a couple of questions of those of you who have owned this console for awhile and maybe even have the X already in your home.

I own a 4K Samsung, but it is of the generation between where the 4K TV's hit the market, and HDR became all the rage (i.e. it doesn't have HDR). It's a lovely TV, but it is missing that spec.

I can either go all out and buy the X (but I am a bit concerned I won't be able to reap all the rewards of that console, visually, given the "limitations" of the TV), or I can buy the S (which while not being able to "do" native 4K, can act as my 4K Blu Ray player which is roughly 50% of the reason why I am buying this console) and trade in my PS4 to upgrade to a PS4 Pro. It will all shake out to about the same amount of money.

Has anyone been able to play both of these consoles and seen a major difference? Some info about my gaming habits:
1) I play 10-20 hours of games per week, max.
2) Main reason for getting Xbox from a gaming standpoint: The Forza Series. I may play around with games like Assassin's Creed and Battlefront, but I mostly stick to driving sims/story lines and sports games, above all, FIFA. And, of course, those types of games are already available on the PS platform.

I'm thinking the S route is probably the best way to go, since this is entry for me, but I am interested in hearing from any of you who have the X that the "look" of it is absolutely worth the cost at this time. Any input is appreciated.
i dont own either a Pro or the new xbox, but i watch a ton of gaming info vids, so heres my take...
you got alot of variables going on in your decision making and the 1st thing that jumped out at me is you said you could upgrade your ps4 to a pro if you went the cheaper xbox route.
well, if thats the case i can tell you the new xbox isnt going to hold much over a pro for the forseeable future, so, win win... except then i guess it comes down to which console has the games you care about looking the best- IE - FOrza..
- however, this is really more of a futre proofing decision b/c with your current tv i dont think the upgrade to pro or the new xbox is going to make a huge difference
without HDR, and i'm assuming it doesnt have a wide color gamut etiher?... youre in that in between spot i am currently in where  gaming in 1080 is really where its at.. MY tv even does HDR but its not even really worth it for the basic ps4 games that support it.
In all reality true 4k gaming is more of a marketing gimick at this point if you read up about it, and although things keep moving forward it is still along ways from being the norm.

ONE nice thing the new xbox is going to do though is allow 1440 rez... or whatever that # is between 1080 and 4k that most pc gamers use currently.
Runnign 4k at 60fps for online games is another real hurdle that is causing issues. In fact many AAA online games have just started achieving 60 fps in 1080 on console... and most pc gamers think 1440 is the compromise that makes sense for rex and speed right now.

anyway, i ramble and prob didnt help you, but really i think it comes down to how far ahead you want to  future proof with the console if say you might get another tv soon.
i actually saw a piece yesterday saying true NExt gen is coming in 2019, whereas the pro and X are 1.5 iterations.

Nope, all very good points and I appreciate them.
I am 98% convinced getting the X Box One S and upgrading the PS4 to Pro level is the way to go. Always that little voice in the head about the X having better graphics than anything out there, but I have to be reasonable: the S is going to play Forza as well as it is going to play on my TV, I won't be able to tell the difference in all likelihood; as a gateway into this brand of console, it makes sense to buy the cheaper option to see if I like it. Can always upgrade in a year if I really get turned onto the MS platform. If I don't then, I'll still have a better than decent console to keep playing their games for awhile. I just don't think I play enough hours in a week to justify an X in the end. Perhaps if I played 2-3 times as many hours as I do, but I work too much to ever get to that level of dedication.

Also, I believe Forza has these "treasure" box options where you can spend additional money for features (I'm guessing that is what you folks are referring to above?), and that idea is getting shit on all over the internet. FWIW, Gran Turismo and the F1 series of sims don't do that, thankfully. neither does Project Cars to my knowledge. FIFA for damn sure does tho.....
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 13, 2017, 12:35:10 PM
I'll probably still get it unless Slim changes his tune.

In which case I'll keep on trucking through Skyrim.
in your case, get the game. period, no question.
enjoy the best Star Wars game ever developed, ignore the microtransactions and never know the difference.

...As i predicted months ago this shitshow would all come to a head though.
THe embarassment that is BF's Reddit has really gone overboard though with multiple deaththreats, and towards 'Gamechangers' who are just fellow gamers.
Bottom line is i feel worst for the developers these days caught betwen the rabid social media enabled fanbases and then their overlord publishers.

To be clear the uproar is about the direction of the industry as a whole. Battlefront is just taking the punch.
Every AAA game this season from every major publisher is doing the same thing as EA.,
The biggest games all had microtransaction 'controversies'-
FORZA, NBA 2k, Middle Earth Shadow of War, and even DEstiny 2 caught major flak for their cosmetic only micros.

The thing is every story just feeds on the last and suddenly you have a social media backlash that really doesnt address the real issues.
-Put it this way: PErsonally i'm about as anti-capitalistic as they come, yet even i just can't get that upset with the current micro model.
I mean, you really have to look at the options and why we got here.
AAA games cost multiple times more to make then they did back when games first started costing $60.
the market won't allow base prices to go up, so the difference has to be made up somewhere.
the irony is we got rid of the previous industry model, splitting up content into season passes and dlc,  b/c gamers bitched and moaned.

...and all this about a game that hasnt even officially released yet, jesus gamers...
i miss 15 years ago when game just came out and there was no back and forth micro analyzing before a game is even 1 week old.

BOttom LINE regarding Battlefront:

1. The gameplay, from ALL accounts, is AMAZING.
2. The Progression system is convoluded due to the integration of microtransactions. These off course will only affect online multiplayer.
3. Despite what peope call them, these micro transactions are 'pay to progress', not 'pay to win'. 'Pay to win' as a term should only be applicable if there is something you could buy with real money that was not attainable in game.
4. the advantage gained from microtransactions is in the eye of the beholder i guess, though from most accounts they are minimal and will not effect your average gamers experience of balance.
Personally i can almost gaurantee i will be getting mvps every match without a single lootbox bought, so....
--DIce has already stated that matchmaking will take into account which players have more and better cards (ie progression) . so in theory who has purchased micros and who has not shouldnt even matter,

Final Verdict:
IF you want to play probably  the most immersive ,comprehensive ,ambitious, fun, challenging, awe inspiring  star wars game ever developed... you came to right place.
IF you want to make a moral stand against a faceless corporate giant that is just doing what the entire industry dictates at the moment... then i think you probably could still enjoy the game and take that angst somewhere else.

...of course i still havent  got to play the full game, LOLOLOL... 9 more hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TLDR
PS - JAckfrags did a pretty mature video summing up the situation. i agree with most of what he says, even though he's still a content creator that like most everyone else is just feeding off the controvesy.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXwe0garDsE

VA $l!m

to be thorough, one thing i forgot to mention was the 'discussion' over the hero locks.
First of all i personally like the idea of hero locks. I want something to work towards in a mp game.
Now, obviously they are on the high to overly high credit cost as of now, however i'm almost garauntee those values will be adjusted soon if not very soon.
i've already heard the high values would be lowered by full launch friday and were just inflated to slow down early access players from having a headstart.

REgardless of whether that happens i've seen this scenario about unlock costs in multiple other games in recent history, especially those involving micros.
what happens 99& of the time is the company will lock something with a initally high in game cost to entice the impatient suckers willing to drop real $ to avoid a grind.
Then after playerbase backlash over inflated cost the devs will reduce that cost to more of a realistic time vs money expenditure.
they've then made their $ and ingratiated themselves to the fans all in one move.
so, yeah, if i've learned anything in this micro model era it's to have patience and let things take their course and usually a company will adjust values to something reasonable in order to save face.

also, its worth mentioning that just the roster of   automatically unlocked 'free'  heros totals more than  there were in the previous  game.

VA $l!m

well... that was instantaneous, lol . hero costs reduced 75%.

VA $l!m

VA $l!m

OMG first game as yoda in Galactic asault on endor, FUCKING UNREAL!!!

VA $l!m

uh yeah... this game is amazing.

gainesvillegreen

Went out yesterday and treated myself to a PS4 Pro and a X Box One......S! Bundle. 2 games and a 1 TB console for $349.00 which was a deal difficult to turn down.
These are early Christmas/celebrating 6 months of sobriety gifts for myself. Plus, the more I keep my hands busy, the less likely I am to dive into the bottom of a bottle.

The graphics via the Pro are insane, and took very little adjustment between TV and console.
I bought The Last of Us: Remastered, because I wanted to see something other than FIFA or driving sim, and the game automatically allowed me to choose between 60fps and lower res, or 4k res and dynamic fps. It's a fun game so far, but stunning to look at, and it is a 2014 title! I haven't played the new AC yet, but did get that as well, saving it for the weekend.

The graphics via the One S aren't quite as good, although better than the base PS4 I had, and it does accommodate the 4K screen via upscaling. However, it is taking considerably more time getting the levels right, and I may just haven't found the sweet spot yet for this device. Forza seems like a ton of fun, and looks beautiful with a lot of variety, but Gran Turismo has it beat in terms of visuals.

Anyways, thanks again for the input Slim (the GameSpot employees I spoke to yesterday said they were having people return their One X's because there wasn't enough of an upgrade in visuals as anticipated!).
Lots of rainy days, but a dry mind, to fill from here on out.

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

VA $l!m

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 15, 2017, 01:43:53 PM
Went out yesterday and treated myself to a PS4 Pro and a X Box One......S! Bundle. 2 games and a 1 TB console for $349.00 which was a deal difficult to turn down.
These are early Christmas/celebrating 6 months of sobriety gifts for myself. Plus, the more I keep my hands busy, the less likely I am to dive into the bottom of a bottle.

The graphics via the Pro are insane, and took very little adjustment between TV and console.
I bought The Last of Us: Remastered, because I wanted to see something other than FIFA or driving sim, and the game automatically allowed me to choose between 60fps and lower res, or 4k res and dynamic fps. It's a fun game so far, but stunning to look at, and it is a 2014 title! I haven't played the new AC yet, but did get that as well, saving it for the weekend.

The graphics via the One S aren't quite as good, although better than the base PS4 I had, and it does accommodate the 4K screen via upscaling. However, it is taking considerably more time getting the levels right, and I may just haven't found the sweet spot yet for this device. Forza seems like a ton of fun, and looks beautiful with a lot of variety, but Gran Turismo has it beat in terms of visuals.

Anyways, thanks again for the input Slim (the GameSpot employees I spoke to yesterday said they were having people return their One X's because there wasn't enough of an upgrade in visuals as anticipated!).
Lots of rainy days, but a dry mind, to fill from here on out.
awesome man, sounds like you made a real good decision.
and i can attest to gaming being a much healthier way to keep from being bored than our other vices.

I'm real happy with the tv i just got as well, and i should also be getting a replacement for my hometheatre soon too once the insurance claim wraps up.
Enjoy the fuck outta that early Christmas present!

PS : gonna try and post a Battlefront 2 multiplayer review/thoughts for ya'll sometime today hopefully.... if i don't just get sucked back into playing nonstop, lol.