News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things COMIC BOOKS

Started by mistercharlie, February 03, 2011, 08:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

So this past weekend Dagny went to the ALA (American Librarian Assosiation) Conference in Chicago and she brought me back a few surprises...

• Before Watchmen: Comedian / Rorschach - signed by Brian Azzarello 
  • Batman The Dark Knight: Cycle of Violence - signed and personalized by Greg Hurwitz
  • Batgirl: The Darkest Reflection  - signed and personalized by Gail Simone

These were awesome surprises since neither one of us knew that DC comics was going to have an exhibition at the conference and that they were all free. The Before Watchmen alone is a $30 book ( it, as well as the other two, is a hardcover edition).

She said that she got to spend some time talking to Gail Simone about women in the comic book industry, this made her very happy. When Dagny and I first got together she asked me about women in comics and Gail Simone's name was all I could come up with, she really is a great writer.

She said Brian Azzerello was kind of quick and rude, but from reading his gritty, edgy works it makes sense.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Nice scores, MrC.
The Comedian & Rorschach, along with Dr. Manhattan were the best of the Before Watchmen series. Overall, the run was disappointing and I and my wallet were glad to see it end. Actually the Dollar Bill one-shot was surprisingly good.

You guys need to check out Bedlam. the first TP came out last month covering 1-6. 8 comes out tomorrow.
It's pretty great.

That, Thief of Thieves, Walking Dead, & the Doctor Who 50th anniv. serial are pretty much all I'm getting now. aside from a couple Batman books but I'm getting bored with those.

Anything else new & good out there these days?

Also, I just looked back and now that I've seen Cabin In The Woods, I can comment on this:
Quote from: mistercharlie on November 13, 2012, 04:16:23 PM
I don't know what it was about Cabin in the Woods, but neither myself or my wife liked it, she liked it less than me. I think my main gripe about it was the poorly written 'stoner' character, just giving us bud lovers a bad rep. I thought the plot and story were pretty cool.

This character wasn't poorly written.
*Spoiler Alert*
He, like the others, was supposed to embody a horror film cliche. All of the main people were doped or otherwise induced to behave closer to horror movie stereotypes for the sake of the "ritual". His ridiculous behavior was even noted by the other characters.
End Spoilers

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 02, 2013, 08:38:33 AM
Also, I just looked back and now that I've seen Cabin In The Woods, I can comment on this:
I don't know what it was about Cabin in the Woods, but neither myself or my wife liked it, she liked it less than me. I think my main gripe about it was the poorly written 'stoner' character, just giving us bud lovers a bad rep. I thought the plot and story were pretty cool.

*Spoiler Alert*
He, like the others, was supposed to embody a horror film cliche. All of the main people were doped or otherwise induced to behave closer to horror movie stereotypes for the sake of the "ritual". His ridiculous behavior was even noted by the other characters.
End Spoilers

Good point, I didn't see it that way. That makes all of their behaviors much more understandable.

I'm still a huge Fables junkie, are you up to date on those? It's spin-off, Fairest, is really good too. Plus there are a few stand-alone Graphic novels to go with it. Not to mention a prose book called Peter and Max.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 02, 2013, 11:24:30 AM

*Spoiler Alert*
End Spoilers

Good point, I didn't see it that way. That makes all of their behaviors much more understandable.
Dude.
That's like the entire crux of the film.

I'm still a huge Fables junkie, are you up to date on those? It's spin-off, Fairest, is really good too. Plus there are a few stand-alone Graphic novels to go with it. Not to mention a prose book called Peter and Max.

I got kind of tired of Fables right around the time Fairest was kicking off so I dropped the one and never picked up the other.
Once they got back into NYC was kinda the right time to quit, imo. Not that I didn't stick around for a few more issues.

shoreline99

I got kind of tired of Fables right around the time Fairest was kicking off so I dropped the one and never picked up the other.
Once they got back into NYC was kinda the right time to quit, imo. Not that I didn't stick around for a few more issues.
[/quote]

Unwritten is pretty cool, if you haven't picked it up yet. American Vampire is good but on a bit of a hiatus; just had a one-shot released that was pretty good. The Massive is interesting but I'm still on the fence about it. 47 Ronin. Punk Rock Jesus. Revival. There are a few others but a lot of formulaic crap.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

mistercharlie

I second Shorelines recommendation of The Unwritten, it's a really good book. Think Gumby meets Harry Potter meets Pinochio meets Raymond Chandler. There's a 'boy wizard' who was written into real life by his father, he has the ability to travel into fictional worlds of books and there is a huge mystery going on the whole time.

shoreline99

Anyone read the newest issue of walking dead yet? Holy Fuck!
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

VA $l!m

i think the new "Agents of SHIELD" series started this week.
anyone catch it?
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mattstick

About to watch.

It's cool that they picked up right where The Avengers film left off, and they plan on weaving story lines into Captain America 2, etc...

mistercharlie

I have it DVR'd, but the wife wants to watch it too so I have to wait until tomorrow to watch it.

rowjimmy

mistercharlie

That was from Batman 686 in a story by Neil Gaiman called "What Ever Happened To The Caped Crusader?" in which all of Batman's enemies recount how they were the one who killed him. It was a good book.

rowjimmy

mistercharlie

That is 1000% pure rawsome. (and hot)

I just tried to talk my wife into dressing like that for Comic-con in March... She said no.

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-