News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W13: 08-13-1997 Star Lake Amphitheatre, Burgettstown, PA

Started by whatapiper, August 07, 2006, 03:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatapiper

Finally, here it is, sorry for the delay!  cant say enough about this show, but i will save my opinion for later.  i hope there are pholks out there who havnt heard this one or need a better listen, cuz this show is a monster!  this was my 1st crosseyed, and it was nasty!

heres set one, set 2 will be ready soon.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kg78nb

and the shows on etree as well...
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=27875&uploaded=1
http://bt.etree.org/download.php/27875/ph1997-08-13.shn.torrent
http://db.etree.org/shninfo_detail.php?shnid=684

enjoy!!!
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Hicks

Nice choice, another anniversary show and a killer summer 97, I'll have to weigh in on this one!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

cactusfan

this show is smokin.

i got it originally because along with the long gumbo and crosseyed it has their only performance of Amoreena, one of the few elton john songs i really love. (for nice use of amoreena, see the brilliant pacino movie Dog Day Afternoon).

nice choice!    :beers:

whatapiper

ok, heres set II
http://www.sendspace.com/file/x5n3ys

this stash is HOT too!  THis gumbo is summer 97 at its best, great work from page throughout, this one has the funk/space/epic ending that makes this tour so special.  i saw all the east coast shows and deer creek and this show may have been my favorite.  i traded headies for a killer seat and left all my boyz on the lawn for this one and met one of those tour mammas that dreams were made of!  I "lost my shit" for crosseyed, what a rager!  Jim, Ghost>Izabella are other highlights for me, along with my 2nd McGrupp, and an above average Theme encore.
Glad you guys like the pic!
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Itsnotanexperience

hands down, one of the best ghosts ever........ends a little abruptly for me - but the texture they create during the HARD section of the groove gives me chills thinking about it!!!

great show.

August

ahhhh...starlake.
i was trippin pretty hard at about 5PM in the lot, trying to get some things together before i walked in...
anyway...

Amoreena- i had no idea what this was, and that wasnt helping things.cool pick, though, and well played.

Heart-Stash-after the first two tunes, we finally get some meat.the composed part of stash is alittle sloppy in parts, but the jam rips!it takes a little time to get to where it wants to go and goes back to the jam like a mofo!they really nail it.

H20Sky-Gumbo-this was my only show aside from the went this summer, and was anticipating hearing some of the newer tunes live.still like the old h20sky.and this gumbo,indeed, is a ripper.super funky, with that unmistakeable summer 97 funk.
pretty long, too.

Horse-Silent-Beauty-3 "so-so" tunes in a row.i like silent, but the flow of this set is really non-existent.

Crosseyed-was pumped for this!jam was cool...nothing too nuts, but had a nice groove.

Wilson-Adeline-yep

Jim-the extra "whoa!" is funny.nice jam

Ghost-this is the one i really wanted to hear.it is pretty funky, but nothing too crazy.it does its job.awkward segue>

Izabella-has Trey ever even come close to getting the lyrics right?

Monkey-McGrupp-Sample-this is where the show really lost me.3 of my least fav tunes ina row.bummer.

2001-was really nice, especially the second part.mike wa really laying it down, but i hated the placement of this one.it seemed like they were trying to bring the set up.

Golgi-Frank-yep

Theme-i like theme and this version was well played.

i never was a fan of this show as a whole.'has its moments,but is too clunky in the set structure dept for me.
it has become one of those overrated underrated shows, imo.

C+.

nothing against you whatapiper, i know alot of people like this one...
it se

thelot

Set I:
Amoreena - great unexpected opener
Stash - solid version
Gumbo - highlight of the show for me. Cactus owns!!! :banana:
Crosseyed & Painless> - great version!
Wilson>LDB - nice touch with the little drummer boy tease at the end.

Set II:
Runaway Jim - short and sweet
Ghost - good version
McGrupp - always welcome
2001 - nice version

Good show. I enjoyed the 1st set more than the second. I give it a 3.8 out of 5 for this tour

Alumni

Set I
Amoreena->Water: The opening half hour didn't really grab me. I appreciate that an Amoreena is unique. But, for me, that's about it. Really enjoyed of the mellow segments in the Stash jam. Overall potency, though, was fairly modest. Again, just imo. Not much flow to this set so far.
Gumbo: Slow-funk monster. Apparently this teases Franklin's. I must have zoned out and missed it. Slow funk phish does that to me.  :-( I'll give another listen. Really liked a few moments of this, but not the highlight for me that it is for others, from the sound of it.
Horse>Silent,Beauty:
C&P: YES!  :-D Something for me to sink my teeth into. Maybe played a touch slow for a C&P (for me) -- but solid version.
Wilson>LDB: nice.  Adeline: Adeline.

Set II
Jim: Enjoyed the runaway chorus!
Ghost>Izabella: Nice. Izabella was a bit loose compared to Fall 97s I've heard
sleeping: Like strange design. I kind of enjoy these as 2nd set breather tunes when I'm completely out of my gourd. Not really the case here.
McGrupp I enjoy this one. Pretty solid version.
Sample textbook. but placement  :?
2001 nice & tight. Really liked this one. Set highlight for me. I mean it.
Golgi,Frank: I'll take it over a char 0 any day.
theme: solid.

Never got the sense that there was any unifying theme or concept to this show. Someone once said that history is just one damned thing after another  :-D  And that's my sense of the show. Not a bad thing, necessarily. But in this case there were a few too many lulls (for me) to rate this as an average (read: typically great) show. It's cool that phish had such a multi-dimensional career. It makes for a big tent for us fans - there's room for lots of tastes. This show just wasn't really in line with mine. c+
Cause I got a degree

jephrey

I think this is the first show of the week that I attended...   :banana:

Pre-listen, I don't remember this show so much, and it doesn't sitck out in my head.  Although, when someone mentioned the extra whoa! in Runaway Jim, I'm thinking I remember that.  I did listen to this show a few times (I rmemeber having the tape).  So here goes...

Amoreena - Funny, I saw both Amoreenas ever played (I think there was only 2).  Here and NYE2K I think.  This song grew on me, and I like how Page sings it.  This version is great...  I like it

Poor Fart - eh

Stizash - I got lost in the jam and liked that...  This stash is really good.  Really high highs.  Pretty raging, and great back into the ending section.

Water - eh.  for some reason, it's nice to hear the old arrangement every now and again.  But not a lot.  I was really sick of it on tour in 97.

Gumbo - The EXACT tone I want my guitar to have.  I think that's the 2 tube screamers and the sustainer.  I've got the sustainer and a TS-5 that I might mod.  But I've heard the 808 and that's what I really want.  A TS-9 and a TS-808.  I think Trey had a TS-9 and a TS-10 maybe?  Can't remember, but this is THE SOUND.  Great funk, definitely a great jam, and I love how it gets super-funky around 8:50.  That's what I live for!  This is top notch.

Horse-Silent - Cool

BOMD - Not a favorite...  But fine.

Xeyed - A favorite for sure.  The beginning part didn't feature Fish as hyped up as I have heard him in other versions.  Chills out around 9m, and I'm hoping for some serious funk, but it doesn't come through...  Good though.  And I loved the very end although I wish it went on longer.

Wilson - It got there in a cool way out of xeyed.  Twas warranted and I liked the Little Drummer Boy which I always welcome.

Adeline - I really liked this version for some reason.

Set II tomorrow.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

Quote from: jephrey on August 08, 2006, 02:44:02 PM

Amoreena - Funny, I saw both Amoreenas ever played (I think there was only 2).  Here and NYE2K I think.  This song grew on me, and I like how Page sings it.  This version is great...  I like it

you might be thinking of corrine,corrina...
amoreena was only once!
a

VA $l!m

Quote from: whatapiper on August 07, 2006, 04:28:17 PM
ok, heres set II
http://www.sendspace.com/file/x5n3ys

this stash is HOT too!  THis gumbo is summer 97 at its best, great work from page throughout, this one has the funk/space/epic ending that makes this tour so special.  i saw all the east coast shows and deer creek and this show may have been my favorite.  i traded headies for a killer seat and left all my boyz on the lawn for this one and met one of those tour mammas that dreams were made of!

mmmmm...... tour mammas...
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

gainesvillegreen

I was at this show as well...

I remember the Amoreena, the Gumbo, the C & P, and McGrupp.  I don't remember anything else in the show, and I'm having a hard time even recalling the venue (let alone the lot).  Sad, really, given they are no longer together. Also sad because I know I did nothing over the top at this show.  That was Darien.  And the second night of Deer Creek.

I do remember that when I moved to my preferred spot...at the base of the lawn almost on the concrete seperating it from the shed...the sightline to the stage was poor.  I tried three different locations and they were all disappointing. 

I'll spin this show at home tonight and take a trip down memory lane...I think  :?   
Review forthcoming...

jedifunk

i love starlake!  great venue... great shows.....  and yeah, the bottom of the lawn right around the path is hard to see, but the rest of the venue is great...

parking lot/cops suck though
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.