News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Quote from: slslbs on August 27, 2005, 09:02:16 PM
Agree with Slim on St Stephen. Live Dead, 2 from the Vault.
Just listened to 4/28/71 today and it blew me away also. Can't go wrong.

i was just rereading this stuff about stephen, and  had a few more thoughts...
first the 2FTV stephen is 8-24-68 apparently which isnt on the archive but the one from 8-23 is just as hot--esp. >the eleven!!> death don't ...this is multi track recording & is a scorcher!
&
i forgot about that 4-28-71 , but your sooo right , great call--the last stephen untill 6-9-76...so good makes you wonder exactly 'when' they decided to shelf it-after/before/during these closing shows of the fillmore east.
AND i'll just add that this 4th disc of 4-28 is probably the most stacked 80 min single disc of pure inferno that you could grab off the archive.  seriously.

slimm
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sls.stormyrider

I love 4/28,9/71. I almost cried when the other one was cut off. :cry:
It happens to be the version from SnR, so you can splice the other one and wharf rat in if you have it. Unfortunately, my version is on vinyl.

I'll def check out freedom hall, 74

BTW, and I mean no disrespect to my other musical heroes (Phish, Miles, Bird, Trane), 11/17/73 PITB>UJB>Dew, etc may be the most amazing piece of music i have heard :-D :-D :-D
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Quote from: slslbs on September 13, 2005, 05:44:36 AM
BTW, and I mean no disrespect to my other musical heroes (Phish, Miles, Bird, Trane), 11/17/73 PITB>UJB>Dew, etc may be the most amazing piece of music i have heard :-D :-D :-D

I completely flipped out the first time i heard it many many years ago. Totally awesome.
And for something else that completely affected me upon my first listen:
4/15/78 morning dew (wow)
6/29/79 Looks Like Rain (Donna actually sounds amazing in harmony with bobby. you'da never thunk it. Then Jerry brings it all home with his solo. made me cry on first listen.) Also, the (Final) Mission in The Rain is on this and is equally powerful. it's almost like the god someone to sub out for Donna on set one.

Alumni

So there are a lot of folks who don't care for the dark days of disco, but I have a 25th anniversary (and change) show to recommend
9/6/80 Lewiston (ME) Fairgrounds

Monster setlist: 1st set is 90+ solid minutes of GD

2nd set, though . . . OMG!
After a warmup Shakedown and a nice Lost Sailor,Saint,Althea, there is a monster Playin' sandwich - the sort of thing that makes me cringe when I see phish-heads "segue" setlists when Phish 'quick-starts' Free (or whatever) at the end of Sparkle (or whatever else). That's not a seque. THIS, on the other hand, is a segue  :-o

PITB > UJB > Drums > Not Fade Away > The Wheel > UJB > PITB

And then Sugar Mags to close the set with a smile :)
Cause I got a degree

crnl4bn

http://db.etree.org/flavaflav

This opportune physical form
Is worth more than a wish-granting gem.
You only gain its like the once.
So hard to get, so easily destroyed,
It's like a lightning bolt in the sky.

Contemplate this, and you will realize
All worldly actions are but winnowed chaff,
And night and day you must
Extract some essence from your life.
I, the yogi, practiced this way;
You, wanting liberation, do the same!

- Lord Tsongkhapa, King of the Dharma

horridrumaddict

12-19-73 Here Comes Sunshine is smokin, although that warbley aud doesnt do it justice.  check out Dicks Picks 1 for the sbd

Gumbo72203

i gotta second the 11/17/73 PITB>UJB>DEW>UJB>PITB  that shit just totally faced me the first time i listened to it after i bought the cd and spun it as i was laying in bed to go to sleep. 

its just unreal....  i dont get it haha
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

VA $l!m

Quote from: horridrumaddict on September 13, 2005, 10:05:03 PM
12-19-73 Here Comes Sunshine is smokin, although that warbley aud doesnt do it justice.  check out Dicks Picks 1 for the sbd

IF you want something crazy , check out the 4-2-73 HC Sunshine!...this version goes into a completely unique 'space' jam, then beautifully segues into Bobby Mcgee---truely has to be heard, beyond description. And it just happens to be on a C.Miller EXtra crispy SBD. source. BTW. this is my new fav. 'undiscovered' gem!!   8-) *****

Schlllimm

VA $l!m

GET 'em WHILE you CAN!!

9-21-72, Philly got yanked  :-o--snap!

VA $l!m

--meant to put this up yesterday...

thirty five years ago (and one day):

9-19-70 Fillmore East
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=14579

day after Hendrix died, killer one disc DL.

one review called the dark star, 2-13-70's older peppier brother. good comparision.

mattstick

when shows get yanked are they being officially released "down the road"?

That must be the case, right?

VA $l!m

that's my understanding...

like the 9-21-72 philly show just up and dissapeared the other day.

some entries are totally deleted, while others say they are no longer available, b/c of official release,
---then there is the ever auspicious saying on some that: "this show can not be located on our servers, etc."----
which might be a weird way of blocking 'possible' future releases ????/---like the 78 red rocks which has said this for over a month.

bottom line is shows are dropping like flies, left and right... i decided to grab every europe 72 they have, regardless of quality, just cause of a rumor that they might release the entire tour as a box set.

i also base a lot of my decisions on what to DL trying to outsmart the possibility  of official releases.

i'm all for Dicks Picks, but when you're as broke as i am w/ no relief in site --2o cents a blank is an irresitable option.

rowjimmy

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=18334
Playin in The Band mix...
sourced mostly from the archive... (with a few CMiller seeds thrown in that haven't made the archive yet.)

Gumbo72203

yo i just wanna thank you guys for finally being turned onto the Dead just as much as Phish; ive been on a Dead binge for about a month now...  10 or so discs bought, plus im at like 20 shows now i think.

i was wondering though, could somebody compile like... a list of the top 10 shows available at the archive from each year?  like, 68 onward.  (not that interested in 90's.. got other sources for them).  Im pretty new to the Dead in terms of being a collector/trader with dank show knowhow lol. 

but yeah that would be super chill, so thanks in advance
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

VA $l!m

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 22, 2005, 06:46:44 PM
yo i just wanna thank you guys for finally being turned onto the Dead just as much as Phish; ive been on a Dead binge for about a month now...  10 or so discs bought, plus im at like 20 shows now i think.

i was wondering though, could somebody compile like... a list of the top 10 shows available at the archive from each year?  like, 68 onward.  (not that interested in 90's.. got other sources for them).  Im pretty new to the Dead in terms of being a collector/trader with dank show knowhow lol. 

but yeah that would be super chill, so thanks in advance

i'll try and put some sort of quick reference list together for you.
Of course in general, out of the available shows, the ones listed with the most DLs , are 'USUALLY' the top shows...