News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

8/22 Magnaball Night 2 - Post-Show Discussion

Started by anthrax, August 23, 2015, 10:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: blatboom on August 23, 2015, 01:12:47 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 23, 2015, 01:09:52 PM
And don't slouch on that Blaze On! I wasn't exactly sold on that song but if they jam it like they did last night, I'm on board.

my thoughts exactly. thought it was about to fade out but they went next level w/ it

It almost sounded, to me, like the riff that turned into that weird, repeating jam started off as an accident and they just ran with it. I was highly impressed.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mistercharlie on August 23, 2015, 02:08:09 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 23, 2015, 01:08:40 PM
4th set was honestly the most psychedelic thing I've seen phish do. I've NEVER seen a visualizer quite like that.

And the jamming, man. They were fucking jamming! Such seamless flow between themes. I don't know why they don't jam like that all the time.

I seem to remember you saying something extremely similar about the Storage Jam.

Totally true, that storage jam blew my mind. But last night absolutely topped it.
Bring in the dude!

GBL

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 23, 2015, 04:05:19 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on August 23, 2015, 02:08:09 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 23, 2015, 01:08:40 PM
4th set was honestly the most psychedelic thing I've seen phish do. I've NEVER seen a visualizer quite like that.

And the jamming, man. They were fucking jamming! Such seamless flow between themes. I don't know why they don't jam like that all the time.

I seem to remember you saying something extremely similar about the Storage Jam.

Totally true, that storage jam blew my mind. But last night absolutely topped it.

Definitely absolutely topped it..

4th set last night was the best phish experience of my entire life, that set was exactly why I love phish, so new, cool and unique..
If this is love, I'm never going home..

cleech74

Tuned in last night during Blaze On. Can't wait to go back and listen to moar of this show, and night one, as well. Back on track with them bringing the heat. Good stuff. Haven't listened to a Velvet Sea since my Coventry movie theater webcast experience, and we all know that was. Not really a fan of it anyway, and seeing them choked-up & emotional was tough to watch. Last night's version really grabbed me, in particular the guitar fills towards the end of that tune. Cathartic for me, personally. 

Nice cohesive jamming for the most part, and thinking that were locked-in as all four of them playing as one. I like the cow funk, and thought they wove it in & out of some great, psychedelic jamming. The Mutron effect is cool, and I agree with the thoughts pertaining to Trey's tone sounding the best in a while. Late set seemed trippy, and I want to see the visual theme, along with the audio. Folks at this one got a real treat. Can't wait to listen to tonight's show, follow along with the entire thing. :music: :phish:

Also, thanks to all 'P4ugers on-scene, all of the reviews, and general awesomeness. Y'all rule! :wtu: :sbw:  :tte:
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

westcider

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 23, 2015, 02:11:51 PM
Quote from: blatboom on August 23, 2015, 01:12:47 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 23, 2015, 01:09:52 PM
And don't slouch on that Blaze On! I wasn't exactly sold on that song but if they jam it like they did last night, I'm on board.

my thoughts exactly. thought it was about to fade out but they went next level w/ it

It almost sounded, to me, like the riff that turned into that weird, repeating jam started off as an accident and they just ran with it. I was highly impressed.

I definitely heard some McGrupp type stuff in there, especially from Page.  It was the same chords they use to get out of the piano solo.  I was surprised not to see it in the show notes.  if that's the jam I'm thinking of from last night, I might have them mixed up

susep

listened to the 4th set yesterday and again this am, so good.   epic Phish.  really unique stuff. 
I love being spoiled w/ new Phish from the Festival gigs: Soundcheck, FTA, juicy sets, epic late set, good tunes on the Bunny.  It simply doesn't get any better.   

Gumbo72203

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 23, 2015, 12:59:07 PM
Fucking incredible show.

That 4th set was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen/heard in my entire life.

Yeah phish!

Unreal.  Probably my favorite Phish thing now.  I can't believe how good that was.  The whole thing was like a dream.  We booked over to the screen right after the encore, and was so tired from raging so hard to that 2nd set.  And then Phish goes and plays THAT.  The first few minutes were so beautiful and gorgeous.

I hope they release video, because those images of Page were to die for, with his head all manipulated. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

emay

so pretty much just reiterating what is already said

tweezer > caspian is fire. Caspian jam peaks and slays.
Blaze on has a nice jam, but this Light jam really takes off. The patience from Trey and the rest of the band really lets the jam evolve into something else. Trey sits back and lets page and mike take the lead and it sounds great! and the transition into 555 is smooth like buttah!!!
Not a fan of WOTC closers, but whatever.
Encore is fun.

VDB

One thing Phish has consistently done is thrown their new material right in the thick of things. Prominent placements, big jams. You're made much more likely to embrace these tunes if for no other reason than they're new jam vehicles, and who doesn't love jam vehicles. Now, the regression we sometimes see (e.g. remember when Number Line used to get taken for long rides?) puzzles me, but by that point a song may be firmly embedded in the pantheon and it will continue to get called upon at potentially big times.

This, anyway, is something that occurred to me while they were crushing Blaze On the other night.
Is this still Wombat?

jedifunk

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 24, 2015, 06:25:36 PM
One thing Phish has consistently done is thrown their new material right in the thick of things. Prominent placements, big jams. You're made much more likely to embrace these tunes if for no other reason than they're new jam vehicles, and who doesn't love jam vehicles. Now, the regression we sometimes see (e.g. remember when Number Line used to get taken for long rides?) puzzles me, but by that point a song may be firmly embedded in the pantheon and it will continue to get called upon at potentially big times.

This, anyway, is something that occurred to me while they were crushing Blaze On the other night.
i remember lots of people being upset with a lot of summer 97 because of all the new tunes, and the new sound ... now when you look at it, it was all so raw, the funk, the vibe, the sound ... all very raw.

now look at some of those tunes... ghost in particular. jam vehicle that needs an oil change.

so careful what you wish for
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Gumbo72203

Yeah....  Ghost needs a shelving for a bit.  12 minutes at a fest?  Time for a break.

That, or bring back the album arrangement with the loops and the original chords.  That would help accent Mike's bassline a lot.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

VDB

I thought this Ghost was fine. Trey hit on something that invited the swerve into Rock and Roll; it could have been smoother and sure I prefer my jams as long as possible too, but it was fine.
Is this still Wombat?

jedifunk

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 24, 2015, 08:10:22 PM
I thought this Ghost was fine. Trey hit on something that invited the swerve into Rock and Roll; it could have been smoother and sure I prefer my jams as long as possible too, but it was fine.
fine? FINE? ghost being "fine" is not fine! i want my ghosts to be set makers, not fine
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Bobafett

Drive-in set is good.  Real good.  Like, THE goods. How do you practice or learn to do that and not wanna just do that?!? 
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.