News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 3 - Ghost (11-17-97) vs. Gin (07-29-98)

Started by runawayjimbo, August 02, 2012, 11:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Round #3 - Ghost vs. Bathtub Gin

Ghost - (1) 11-17-1997 - McNichols Arena - Denver, CO

vs.

Gin - (1) 07-29-1998 - Riverport Amphitheater - Maryland Heights, MO

POLL CLOSES: Tuesday, 8/07, 10pm EST
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

cactusfan

i like this ghost a lot, but come on, it's highly overrated. just cause the band loved it at the time doesn't put it over the top.

this gin is one of the best anythings ever.

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

rowjimmy

I have never been as big a fan of that fall 97 shit as the rest of you guys... Which makes this easy.

VDB

I'm with cactusfan -- it's a good Ghost but I don't put it in the upper echelon of Phish jams.
Is this still Wombat?

phil

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 03, 2012, 10:14:23 AM
it's a good Ghost but I don't put it in the upper echelon of Phish jams.

:-o

this ghost defines the upper echelons of phish jams for me.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

susep

the jam that begins near 12:48(LP) is why Gin gets my vote.  it goes back to our previous debate of which was tour was better Fall '97 vs. Summer '98 in that both represent the peak of Phish funk. 

VDB

Quote from: phil on August 03, 2012, 10:59:46 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 03, 2012, 10:14:23 AM
it's a good Ghost but I don't put it in the upper echelon of Phish jams.

:-o

this ghost defines the upper echelons of phish jams for me.

Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I like it. A good bit.

But,

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 19, 2012, 08:01:04 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 19, 2012, 07:47:47 PM
Even though it's not even my favorite jam from that show set. I've always been partial to the Tweezer...

FYP
Is this still Wombat?

danje

Riverport is fun but I don't think it even comes close to the majesty of Denver.

WhatstheUse?

Both are amazing jams, but I'd rank many Ghosts higher than this one...... whereas this Gin is perhaps the best ever, imo.

I vote Gin.
Bring in the dude!

McGrupp

This is tough.

I went with Ghost for personal reasons. I might not be a phish fan had I not heard 11/17/97 and had the musical/life epiphany that followed. I'd probably be a totally different person, in fact.

But, all of that doesn't take away from the fact that the Riverport Gin is, without a doubt, a top shelf Phish jam. One of the best.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

danje

McGrupp

Quote from: danje on August 03, 2012, 02:41:58 PM
I wouldn't put Riverport in my top 20.

:?

I'd be interested to see your top 20.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: susep on August 03, 2012, 11:26:22 AM
the jam that begins near 12:48(LP) is why Gin gets my vote.  it goes back to our previous debate of which was tour was better Fall '97 vs. Summer '98 in that both represent the peak of Phish funk.

I prefer Fall 1997, but, ironically, I voted Gin because of what leads up to the 12:48 mark. I think post 12:48 on this Gin cancels out much of what happens in the Denver Ghost and we are in 6 of one, half dozen of another territory.

If they had taken the thought they begin at around 9:30, flesh out at 11:15, and ultimately disregard near 14:00 on this Ghost and and cranked the tempo, gone from mf > FFF, and peaked the shit out of it, this would be a closer matchup for me. But it stays under-developed, whereas in Riverport, they attack their ideas and play towards a point even if ultimately they take their foot off the gas for the remainder.

Better goal oriented playing in the Riverport Gin during the first half, which is why I listen to them. The rest of the minutes is just a bonus.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.