News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

09/04 - Dick's Sporting Goods Park - Commerce City, CO - Post-Show Discussion

Started by runawayjimbo, September 05, 2011, 01:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Quote from: guyforget on September 08, 2011, 03:24:23 AM
remember when we were all young... coming up in the phish scene, it was always explained to us, and by us to others on their way up: its all about the live shows.

now we all want them to be perfect from our couches while we declare our own hiati and such from them, such the lulz

i think my high horse broke a leg, facepalm    :frustrated:   :frustrated:

It's typical.....I told my wife that people were actually hating on these shows and she said "Is anybody that actually went to the shows hating on them?"

The answer to that is a resounding no.....

Hicks

Is anyone really hating on these shows though?

I just pointed out that one song from this show was a trainwreck, that's all.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on September 08, 2011, 11:05:00 AM
Is anyone really hating on these shows though?

I just pointed out that one song from this show was a trainwreck, that's all.

you're the main offender bro.....

j/k

No, only a couple of people are really hating and they are probably so stuck in hate mode that they just don't know another way. For the most part, people are loving the stand.   All three of the shows are solid with some great stuff.  I think each show has something to offer.  For me, first show had the Sparks, Scents, Slave and Sabotage. Sand and Seven Below are sick too. Plus it was the tribute show.  Next night had a MONSTER Tweezer and I loved the DWD too. 3rd night second set was all gravy, even with a sketchy Come Together....good stuff.  I'd be surprised if Vermont was of the same caliber but I hope so!

Caravan2001

Quote from: Superfreakie on September 08, 2011, 03:42:03 AM
Quote from: guyforget on September 08, 2011, 03:24:23 AM
i think my high horse broke a leg, facepalm    :frustrated:   :frustrated:

I'm nearly off the hater train. Just need a little more consistency in the jamming department but without question they are getting there.

Remember in 2009 when Fish couldn't come out of a drum fill without falling off the beat.
Remember in 2009 when Trey couldn't play any lick other than an ascending rock peak.
Remember when the two of them couldn't peak a jam simultaneously.
Remember when Trey would drop weak ballads just as the second set was taking off.
Remember the whale. 
Remember when this band thought their fan base would eat up Summer 89, Dr. Gabel, and TTE.
Remember the completely pre-programmed setlists. The Character Zeros.....

You think they got the memo. I do. Now it's only a matter of time.........before type 17 jamming commences.

All good points.....and true

mattstick

I certainly don't hate these shows - but I stand by the statement/idea that there is only about 30-45 minutes of interesting Phish a night in 2010/2011.  Given that most shows have between 2.5 and 3 hours of music, that percentage of what you're going to listen to 5 years from now isn't very high.

Furthermore, and maybe I'm just more concerned about how far dollars go these days, but the tickets and travel are more expensive than ever - add that all up and it's just not the same value as I was used to receiving from Phish.

Even with these Colorado webcasts, I was home on Saturday and Sunday nights, but I chose to watch MLB because I knew I'd be bored after the first 3 or 4 generic songs, excited to watch about 30 minutes in set II and bored by the time the encore rolled around again.

I admit that much of what I've written is not Phish's fault, but I do think they made a decision to jam less, play certain songs more, and be fine with 3 minute Tube's and 5 minute Timber Ho's.  It's just not really the Phish I loved when I started seeing shows and it's less palatable to me than what they were doing in 03/04 (August not included).

emay

Quote from: mattstick on September 08, 2011, 11:28:46 AM

I certainly don't hate these shows - but I stand by the statement/idea that there is only about 30-45 minutes of interesting Phish a night in 2010/2011.  Given that most shows have between 2.5 and 3 hours of music, that percentage of what you're going to listen to 5 years from now isn't very high.

Furthermore, and maybe I'm just more concerned about how far dollars go these days, but the tickets and travel are more expensive than ever - add that all up and it's just not the same value as I was used to receiving from Phish.

Even with these Colorado webcasts, I was home on Saturday and Sunday nights, but I chose to watch MLB because I knew I'd be bored after the first 3 or 4 generic songs, excited to watch about 30 minutes in set II and bored by the time the encore rolled around again.

I admit that much of what I've written is not Phish's fault, but I do think they made a decision to jam less, play certain songs more, and be fine with 3 minute Tube's and 5 minute Timber Ho's.  It's just not really the Phish I loved when I started seeing shows and it's less palatable to me than what they were doing in 03/04 (August not included).

Excellent opinion. I have to agree that overall compared to 1.0&2.0 the costs of the shows/travel is hardly worth it for 3.0. But I still find myself spending the 150 bucks for travel and the 100 bucks for tickets to shows that I hope will be amazing/life changing. But they always turn out to be the normal 3.0 show. I love phish, but there has to be a point where you realize what they are doing is not what you like. I still listen to 1.0 shows and think to myself like wow I really cant wait for chicago and co run!!!!!! Cant wait to groove and dance and rage those shows. But when I relisten to the 3.0 shows or even standing there at the show, I think wow this is not all what I was hyped about. I never got to be at any 1.0 shows so I am just trying to get in as much  :phish: in my life as I can. The music is still there though, even if they arent playing it/mixing it up as much as I would like.

The decisions they have made throughout 3.0 have also been a let down. Thank god they started throwing in at least one or two jams 20+ min, and at least 4-5 that are 13 + min jams a tour. If they still played like they did in 2009 I would have stopped going to  :phish: shows. They got better and hopefully contiune to get better. Its not gonna be a peak like there was in 1.0 but all I can do is hope right?

Lifeboy

I haven't had much time to go back and give these shows a relisten, but this night my favorite. It seemed to flow so much more smoothly than Saturday. I plan on giving these shows another listen, as well as a bit more in-depth review this evening once I get to my computer.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Gumbo72203

dude, listen to Page's piano in this Ghost.  I don't get how this isn't incredible.  Pay Jorgan attack!!!!!  With sidewinder piano!

and it seems like Fish is the one who instigated Guy Forget over the raging Ghost peak.

if you don't think this is sick, you need to go fuck your girlfriend for a couple hours to get your head out of your ass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8G79M4V9v4&feature=related
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

zimbra

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 11, 2011, 06:34:50 PM
if you don't think this is sick, you need to go fuck your girlfriend for a couple hours to get your head out of your ass:

:clap:
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Gumbo72203

Best 3.0 Gin.  Shut up, go stick a razor in your ass, down a bottle of Franks Red Hot, and then duck tape yourself to the toilet in the mens room at your local strip club if you think otherwise.  Because you are sub-human, and suck a realizing greatness.  The Coventry Glide gets a boner for this Gin.  It eats boner juice, and shits out fun.  And we love fun. 

And this Gin is awesome. 

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Lifeboy

I agree that it's the best Gin of 3.0

The Ghost was fun and it was a very special treat to hear Guy Forget, but it probably won't get much playback time in my house. Nothing noteworthy, just fun to see live.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Lifeboy on September 12, 2011, 03:50:50 AM

Gots to be.  Only other contenders I can think of would be Gorge 09 or Bethel.
Bring in the dude!

zimbra

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on September 12, 2011, 12:34:57 PM
Quote from: Lifeboy on September 12, 2011, 03:50:50 AM

Gots to be.  Only other contenders I can think of would be Gorge 09 or Bethel.

I Zimbra will personally allow it to be a tie between Gorge '09 and CO '11 for best gin.

*I was at both*
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Lifeboy

The Gorge '09 version is good, but this one blows it out of the water imo. I'll have to go back and give it another listen, but I remember just the last few minutes of the Gorge version being good.

zimbra

Quote from: Lifeboy on September 12, 2011, 04:26:23 PM
The Gorge '09 version is good, but this one blows it out of the water imo. I'll have to go back and give it another listen, but I remember just the last few minutes of the Gorge version being good.

Watch that mouth of yours, I'll break your hard drive.
- Trey Anastasio