News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W09: 08-01-1998 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI

Started by VA $l!m, July 10, 2006, 11:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

here it is:

08-01-98 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI

I: Ramble On*, Mike's Song -> Esther** > Weekapaug Groove, Guyute, Fikus, Birds of a Feather, Lawn Boy, Funky Bitch (1:11)

2: Piper, Wilson, Also Sprach Zarathustra^ -> Magilla -> Also Sprach Zarathustra^ -> Tweezer -> Fluffhead^^, Brian and Robert, Albuquerque > Chalkdust Torture, Frankenstein (1:21)

E: Been Caught Stealing+ > Tweezer Reprise (0:09)

*Led Zeppelin cover; first time played; Page on lead vocals. **With random note language by both Page and Trey. ^With "Crosseyed and Painless" teases. ^^With tramps. +First time played (Jane's Addiction cover); Trey on lead vocals; Mike and Trey on trampolines.

set 1
http://www.sendspace.com/file/efbcc6

set 2
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4iquj4

seed should be up later today.
thanks to jedi and aug.

For now i'll just say that i choose this show mainly because it is a show that at the time was probably one of my least Favs of the ten shows i got into that summer.
After  rediscovering  this show  last year, it grows on me more and more every time i listen to it now. Although the source posted here (i believe its the one i have??) still reflects my discontent with the PA sound at the show... Overlooking that though,  i have completely switched camps on this show from the: "its overated side" - to the "itas underated side", which ever since the tour it seems  that it is one of those shows...

well, overall i think this show goes to prove for me how strong overall summer 98 was throughout.

Enjoy!
slim.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jephrey

Good choice.  I thought the Been Caught Stealin was really killer at this show.  This is one of those ones that I remember well.  I was up in the lawn, kinda close, Page side with my buddy Willy.  We kinda lost the rest of our group, but had a great time and eventually met up with our other friends and boogied on.  Although I liked the Ramble on a lot, the Been Caught Stealin', IMO, was a great cover choice.

Review to follow.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

August

jedifunk

ok, here is the link
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=27004
http://bt.etree.org/download.php/27004/ph98-08-01shn.torrent

now, this source (4787) doesnt have txt files for the md5s... i posted the show anyways, and left a message about that.

the shnf does have the md5s in them, i'm just not sure how to get to the text i need to copy to paste them into the upload page... any help is appreciated.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sophist

Quote from: phan003 on July 10, 2006, 09:56:19 AM
i'm calling a phall 97 show from slim  :wink: or summer 98 is my second guess
http://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,3131.75.html
so called summer 98, who's got my prize  :wink:

kick ass show if memory serves correctly, I'll have to pull it out and give it a spin.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jephrey

Ramble On.  Every time I listen to this it gets better.  Totally grows on me.  Page rocks!  You can feel a good energy right off the bat with this.  Crowd is digging it as well.  Good choice.  I love the summer 98 covers, and this one is hot.  Even gives Trey a little jam-time.

Mike's.  This is top-notch.  Gets that dark funk going on with Page tearing it up again.  I seem to notice how awesome Page is more and more after that thread went through about Page being the weak link.  NO CHANCE.  If someone has to be, I'd say they all shared the weak link spotlight equally.  I wouldn't put it on one person overall.  Back to Mike's...  This is how this song should be. and it flows well, without much force, into >

Esther.  A treat for most, not a favorite of mine but it does work here.  Just because everyone else likes it, I have to have some love.  One lyrical flub but no biggie.  >

Week4paug.  Really diggin Mike's intro.  I usually base my initial opinion of the performance of this song on Mike, and this one is fantastical.  Then, I base my opinion on how spread out things get and they get damn good in this version.  This is exactly what I want to hear in a weekapaug.  And it's superfunky around Gordo's solo.  My jaw is dropping.  The release back into the rock stylings is killer.  This has to be one of the best Weekapaugs I've heard in a long time, maybe since the last time I heard this one.  Lots of energy.

Guyute.  Great composition, but I prefer other ones more.  Even though it appeared in 94 (I think), I always related it to 96 as it never had a classic feel to me.  In any case, Guyute can be good and even though I don't love it here, I can't complain.  It sounds good.

Fikus.  Good chill tune, standard, but a needed break from crazyness.

Birds.  I totally base this tune on the jam.  I like the song if it gets eerie enough but it usually doesn't...  Energetic, but unfortunately jam-lacking.  Not bad.

Lawn Boy.  I always love this song.  Anywhere, anytime.  Page (once again) is the man.  One of the best versions of this is when he played it with Vida Blue and came to tears.  Obviously missing Phish.  Very cool.

Funky Bitch.  Standard closer, I've never considered it a favorite but this one is good.

Overall, I thought it started a lot hotter than it ended.  Later in the set, the songs became standard, although they did keep the energy high for second set.  Nighttime is always better at alpine IMO.  Review to come.

Jephrey

There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jephrey

Set II

Piper.  summer 98 pipers are among the best, not too long or short, but enough to bring the energy that the song was designed to do.  Although seemingly standard, this one was tight.

Wilson.  It wouldn't be alpine without Wilson.  Perfect song for the venue.  Crowd is all in on this one.  Almost chilling.  A tour buddy of mine always claims to freak out for Wilson at alpine and that it actually is scary.  I guess it has some to do with herbs, but in any case, Wilson was made for this venue.  Knowing it's alpine makes the song that much better.  Good stuff.  And scary.  Great hard rock section.

2K1.  Who doesn't love it?  I am really, really, really digging on Trey's tone right now.  Without going any further, this is the set highlight for me.  DAMN!  Kinda sketchy into

Magilla.  And once they got on it, it is great.  We love you Page!  And Treys really doing up the jazz guitar.  and everyone gets a chance to shine.  Gordo's solo is sweet, and Fish is a great jazz drummer.  I love this song.  Good choice to return to the 2K1 theme breifly...

Tweezer.  Starts of very nice.  You may have heard me say it before but any set with Tweezer is a good set. Hearing the jam start, I realize I've listened to this many times.  I love this Tweez.  Slow-funk is rockin' it.  Into some nice structured ambience (If you know whit I mean).  sounds like the end of another song (On the tip of my tongue, maybe Slave). 

Fluff.  Composed section is right on.  Just good.

B&R.  OK.  Chill.

Albuquerque.  This song is so damn cool.  Real Chill.  I wish it got more play-time.  I could listen to it over and over.  One of the few chill-out tunes that I want to hear in a set.  Great cool-down stuff.

Chalkdust.  Almost seems like a set 3.  This as an encore is usually not palyed with so much energy.  Very good.

Frankenstein.  Phish plays this so well.  This version was very tight.  I like it

Been Caught Stealin'.  Maybe one of my favorite covers from the summer of 98.  I thought it was played and sung well.  Short but sweet.  Great to hear another song before the inevitable reprise.

TweezeR.  Yeah.  of course.

Overall, set 2 was similar to set 1 in that it was really hot and then totally slowed down.  I guess if I was in that mood, it'd be perfect, and I wasn't far from it today.  If the sets did lack anything it was consistency and stretching out (aside from the covers).  The encore was great.  3+ tunes, all played well and with a lot of energy.  So at the beginning of each set I'm fired up and by the end, things have gone a bit standard for my tastes.  Not bad though. 

4.0029/5

cactusfan

3+ tunes in the encore?

are you suggesting set II closed with brian & robert?

i think the encore is just stealin and reprise.

but then again, i have    :banana:  :banana:  for brains, so you never know....

susep

Good pick, look for my review later on in the week  :beers:

mini-review:  this Tweezer is great :-D

jephrey

QuoteThe encore was great.  3+ tunes, all played well

Quote3+ tunes in the encore?

OOPS...  I was going by disc, not set.  What the hell was I thinking?  B&R set 2 closer?  I don't think so.

So set 2 does end on a very high note even though it slowed a bit right before then.  Chalkdust and Frankenstein were tight.

Jephrey

Alumni

Quote from: jephrey on July 11, 2006, 10:22:13 AM
OOPS...  I was going by disc, not set.  What the hell was I thinking?  B&R set 2 closer?  I don't think so.

True - but it was a (solo) encore once.
Set II: The Moma Dance, Birds of a Feather, Wolfman's Brother -> Frankie Says > Run Like an Antelope, Lawn Boy, Ya Mar, Ha Ha Ha, Mike's Song -> Swept Away > Steep > Weekapaug Groove
Encore: Brian and Robert

Not that I'd be complaining about it after a 2nd set like that.
Cause I got a degree

jephrey

I don't mind B&R, and even think it's fine as an encore, but not a set 2 closer.

Jephrey

Alumni

I hear you. It's not that I mind Brian & Robert. It works as a mid-set '"breather." It just seems a little lightweight as either a (solo) encore or, especially, as a 2nd set closer.

I was kind of comparing it to Bouncing, which Phish encored a ton of times, but never (to my knowledge) just by itself.

Anyway, back on topic: cool choice. Look forward to giving it a full listen this week.
Cause I got a degree

Alumni

SET I
Ramble On: This was really cool to hear. I was thinking that it might have been different to open with Stealin and use this as a set closer or encore. But then . . .
Mike's: Yes! Perfect song to follow  Ramble On, imo. Jephrey's right - page is really prominent here. I like it.
Esther: What's funny is that right around the end of Mike's, Page seems to be teasing Foreplay(Longtime) for a moment before going into Esther. On other threads, I mentioned that I'm a fan of Mikes's> (random unexpected choice) >'paug.  If this doesn't qualify, I don't know what does. Still . . . I'm not sure. They had a great thing going. This is almost too jokey imo. Would've rather seen Esther as a treat of a breather after the Mike's Groove. But anyway, it's cool to get this song. And for being out of the rotation for 2 years, it's pretty tight.
Week: Cactus gets this one off to a nice start. I agree that this one has a nice "return to rock." But it's very very short. It could have been an A+ paug (for me) if they'd kept it going like on, say, 12.2.97.
Guyute: Could live without it. Of course I don't remember being sick of it in summer 98, so I can't criticize.
Fikus: Why do I like this song so much? Really, I do.
BOAF: Chalkdust style. Not my favorite. To be fair, there's nothing wrong with this one. If I'm getting a BOAF, I think I prefer the spacier, more adventurous ones from the next summer.
Lawn Boy: Robert Plant to open the set. Lounge singer to close it? Nice :) I never get sick of this one.
Funky: RIP Son; I love this song. Even though it's usually short and sweet. It's a great 1st set closer (or encore) imo. Gives Page and Trey one last chance to show off before heading offstage. 

The only thing about opening a set with Ramble, Mike's>Esther>paug  is that it's almost by definition going to be topheavy. Hard to keep that kind of momentum going. This set tries, but doesn't quite do it. On the plus side, it beats the hell out of the old approach (Use set I for the Hoist songs & Cavern and wait until set II to take chances).

SET II
Piper: I loved this song when I first heard it. I'm tired of it now, to be honest (flame away), so I was pleasantly surprised when Trey started the outro around 7:40. Not sure what I think of this as an opening. Probably wouldn't have a problem with it if I liked it more.
Wilson: I'm on the fence. The metal jam was nice for a moment or two, but got old for me really fast. Have to give them credit for being creative and trying something different.
2001: Nice. I was worried that an Axilla might be in the works. :) Textbook 2001 for this era, with one minor exception
>Magilla> Yes! They're probably bathroom breaks for some. But I love A-Train, Caravan, Magilla . . . all those tunes.
Tweezer:Nice fake-out return to 2001 before this one. Highlight of the set. Maybe the show. I like this Tweezer a lot. Enough not to really mind when it keeps going a couple minutes after losing direction.
Fluffhead: I thought the Tweezer signaled that things were opening up. Then this, maybe the longest of phish's composed songs. I won't ever complain about a well-played Fluff, and so I won't here. But I really was a surprise to hear it after that Tweezer.
B+R: not a bad midset breather
Albuquerque: Much, much better midset breather :)
Chalkdust, Frankenstein: Had a feeling one of these - or Antelope - might be coming after the last couple songs. Didn't expect both of them

CaughtStealing: These work better live, imo. I know I got a big stupid grin the first time I caught Sabotage. These days, they're sort of irrelevant to me; I can't say I use these songs to pick which shows to listen to.
Tweeprise: Nicely drawn out intro. This one does its job perfectly.

I dunno Slim, this set is kind of like the first. Gets off to a great start, but doesn't quite keep it up. As much as I like the old stuff - and I love Fluffhead - I think it's a turning point in the 2nd set. And it probably points the wrong way.

I don't think it lived up to its potential. But it's definitely got its highlights. If I had the editing tools, I could make a hell of an 80-minute set from this material. So I have to go with a solid B.
Cause I got a degree

VA $l!m

i really wish there was ANY alternative to this source...
its too bass heavy, -- trey is washed out in the mix.......
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-