News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R03/W08: 06-24-00 Lakewood Amphitheater, Atlanta, GA

Started by blatboom, June 23, 2008, 06:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blatboom

Quotephish
lakewood amph.
atlanta, ga
2000-06-24

set 1 (~69 min.)

disc 1
01-Moma Dance, 02-Runaway Jim, 03-Bouncing Around the Room, 04-Tweezer, 05-Strange Design, 06-Cavern

set 2 (~100 min.)

disc 2
01-Birds of a Feather, 02-Bug, 03-My Sweet One, 04-Run Like An Antelope, 05-Frankie Says, 06-Carini,
07-Squirming Coil, 08-Prince Caspian,

disc 3
E: 01-Guyute, 02-Inlaw Josie Wales, 03-Driver, 04-Tweezer Reprise

source: akg460b/ck61>V2>SBM1>D8>D7, by JK, john m patch
transfer: DATmaster>cd(1)>eac>cdwave>flac, by john m

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=516083

My 4th show.  Tweezer deserves a thread all to itself.  My all-time favorite Moma opens this one in style, and there's some other nice jams sprinkled in, lots of energy throughout really...Also love the comic relief in MSO.

I'll work on getting the lossy up this evening after work.

G. Augusto

pnchundi

nice choice.  Wish I had seen this show instead of the next night in Raleighwood. 

mattstick

khalpin

Sweet!  This was on my list of shows to check out.  Looking forward to hearing it.

blatboom

Quote from: khalpin on June 23, 2008, 11:45:08 AM
Sweet!  This was on my list of shows to check out.  Looking forward to hearing it.

That's great to hear!  There's plenty to talk about.  Make sure you're sitting down when Tweezer starts  :-D

Caravan2001

This is a good pick.....looking forward to reviewing it, but I have to listen to the last Atlanta show first.....

blatboom

pnchundi

holy shit! That Tweezer is- well,  :banana: The first set absolutely rips.  I had to listen to it twice.  And it turns out that the version I had is not so good, a couple of tracks skip, and I only have discs 1&2.  So I have not heard the encore.  Looks like I will need to DL the whole thing. 
Great choice.

khalpin

Moma Dance: Kicking things off with the funk.  The jam section is pretty cool for a while.  It loses my interest after a while, though.  Would've been better if it ended a little sooner.  Too much of that effect on Trey's guitar that sounds almost like white noise and tends to drown out everything else.

Jim: Right after the vocals end ~1:35, Trey sounded like he was about to segue into a bluegrass tune.  I prefer when they play this early in the show, like they do here.  Get it out of the way.  Not that I don't like it, but it's almost like they're all the same version, with some rare exceptions.

Bouncing: I prefer when they play this early in the show, like they do here.  Get it out of the way.  Not that I don't like it, but....

Tweezer: This one eases in nicely.  Gets going around 10:00 when Trey starts up with a little riff and Fishman changes to the open hi-hat.  Trey starts noodling around.  Mike sounds fantastic in the background.  Really complementing everything nicely.  Can't quite make out what Page is doing.  Almost sounds like a three piece.  They play triplets for a couple minutes.  Fishman seems to have a different rhythm going every 20 seconds.  Certainly switching things up and keeping it interesting.  Page comes in with the piano ~14:00.  Now it's really getting interesting.  Wow, this jam doesn't sit still for long.  Just when I think they've found something to sit on and develop, they switch to something else.  ~16:20 it's gotten into a fast paced jam.  ~17:00 they seem to have found a chord progression to go with, at least Trey has.  It doesn't last too long, though.  It then settles down, with some more expirementation going on.  It picks up again ~22:30 and Trey kicks back in with the white noise sound, although it seems to work here, although it wouldn't have been my first choice of tones to use.  He switches to something else soon enough, though.  It eventually ends without much fanfare.  That was quite a ride.  Glad I got to hear it, it was very interesting.  The jam pretty much went everywhere, but never really found something and built on it.  It was almost like watching an episode of Lost.  They give you enough to keep you interested and hint at a lot of stuff, but never give you anything concrete.  Okay, so that was a stupid analogy.  A very good Tweezer with TONS of stuff going on.  (Edit: after listening to this three more times, I feel a bit differently about it.  It has a great peak at the end ~21:00 and it has definitely grown on me.  This will probably become one of my "fall back jams" - remember that thread?)

Strange Design: Settle back down.

Cavern: Set closer with some heavy effects to end it.

Good first set with a huge Tweezer anchoring it.

Birds of a Feather: High energy opener.  Didn't really nail the peak ~7:50, though.

Bug: Bathroom break.  That was a long one.

MSO: Wasn't expecting this at all.  Strange way to kick it off.  Sounds like everyone else was caught off guard, too. (was this when they had the no setlist, no talking thing going on?) Kinda botched it, huh.  Not sure what was going on there.  Love the solo spots, though.  That more than made up for the beginning.  Rippin' Page solo.  Mike banter?  Awesome!

Antelope: Solid.  Not a standout version, although it gets pretty hot at the peak.

Frankie Says: I have to be in the mood to enjoy this one, which today I am.

Carini: Yes.  Love it.  I always think of 4/3/98 when I hear it. 

Squirming Coil: Awwww, the set's not over yet, is it?  Whenever this song starts, I get a slight feeling of disapointment, but after 30 seconds or so, I remember how much I like it.  The guitar solo is great when he nails it, which he does here.  Nice playing by Page to finish it out.

Caspian: Set's not over yet.  I like the later versions of this as they usually have a nice finish.

Guyute: Getting this for an encore is a nice treat.  A little sloppy in the middle there, but it's a pretty difficult one to play.

Inlaw Josie Wales: Nice tune, although I don't like it's place as an encore.

Driver: Ugh.  Not a fan.

Tweeprise: Ah, should've seen that one coming.  Great way to end any show.  And a great bass sound when Mike comes in.

It wasn't a bad second set, but there wasn't really a standout version of anything.  Obvious show highlight being the Tweezer.  I'd give the show a B+.  Pretty well played, but with really only one highlight, which was the monstrous Tweezer.  Still, a good pick.

G. Augusto

This is one of those shows where the first set is significantly better than the second...

Moma - Love this version. Almost sounds like Cities for the first two measures. Moma hadn't opened in a show in almost two years at this point (07-24-1998). Trippy version and quite atypical.

Jim - Nice way to keep it going. Pretty standard version, but nice.

Bouncing - Uh Huh...

GEEKY PHISH STAT ALERT!!!!!!!!
So the last time Moma opened a show before this was 07-24-1998.
Can you guess the two songs that followed it that night?
That's right!
Moma > Jim > Bouncing!
::mind blown::

Tweezer - One of the all time great versions. It really just moves along so effortlessly from section to section. Mike totally PWNS this straight out the box. It's an odd version in that it doesn't feel short nor long...

Design - Always a treat. I like when Kermit sings.

Cavern - Forget something, Trey? 6 song first set. Have I said before that I like short first sets?
'Cause I do....

Birds - Ok Version. I'll take it in this slot.

Bug - Been kind of liking Bug more these days. It sounds like all the other post Fall '99 versions.

MSO - People have always dogged this version, but I like it. Despite it being played in Japan, it's still a nice kickdown. It's so badly botched that it's funny. It's not like a PH botch where "certain people" are completely oblivious to how off they are. Funny solos and Mike banter + Fight Bell.

Antelope - Way to bring it back up. Trey lays down a HUGE loop during the jam. Pretty solid version.

Frankie/Carini - Both are nice. Some talking going on during Carini that I can't make out. Pretty trippy "jam", too.

Coil - Kinda wish they would have ended the set here. I like when they leave Page out.

Caspian - KInda botched the ending///

Guyute - Take it or leave it.

Josie/Driver - Nice. I like it during the encore slot. Nice solo by Page/Trey in Driver.

Reprise - BIG BASS. Step into it.

I like this one.
I give it a B+
a

pnchundi

I havent made it past the first set yet, that tweezer is sick.  So here is my set one review, hopefully i will move on to the second set.

Moma DanceStarting out with the funk! Typical 99/00 slow down dance groove.  Trey seems a little lost at the beginning, though Mike stands out from the start of the show.  Trey hits his mark at 6 min plus and things take off and get thoroughly interesting
RunJimAlright, keeping things moving! This Jim has all four moving as one, and although no one takes the lead and kicks this song into overdrive, this jim has legs
Bouncin Just fine.  But did you notice the weird pause before they started playing? It reminds me of the dead when everyone was too blasted to know what to play next.  Sure take your time before bringing out the heat, but taking your time before Bouncin? Are they tired? Still, bouncin is solid
Tweezer Ever had a show in collection and ignored it? I dont know how long I have had this show, but I am not sure I have heard it before.  This tweezer is epic, and is haunting.  I really like the LoST metaphor,  it is very appropriate.  Lots of exploration here, and to me, the best part is that the energy never lags.  If you were at a 99 tweezer, you would expect 15mins of heat, and then 8 mins of noodling on some looped effect.  Instead there is energy throughout up until the bitter end.  Mike is loud and proud, no soft G on that Gordon!
Strange DesignThis is one of those tunes that when I first heard it in 95 (redrocks summer tour) i was like BOO!  Why is Page slowing things down? However, this song grows on you, and it might be one of their more mature yet not sappy efforts.  These days, SD is welcome
Cavernthe only way to end an epic set! Though short on paper, Moma and Jim were both 10mins plus with great play.  The Tweezer is monsterous at 23 mins, and I dont think I could have handled more.  High marks for the first set.

pnchundi

okay, i tried with the second set, but...

birds pretty rocking, sets a good tone for the evening
bug Really? Shit.  I just waited in line for a half an hour to take a pee and get a beer.  And I could have done it now? Seriously, this is one Trey tune that should stayed a Trey tune
MSO Awesome because it so bad! Trey even calls it; and then he calls out fishman (about the girl who inspired both MSO and DogFacedBoy), and after that he makes Mike do "stage banter." Mike rings his bell a few times, and then they get serious.
AntelopeWow, I really like Antelopes in the second set! Great placement cause its almost unexpected, being such a set ending jam.  Long and drawn out, intensely played, listen for Trey's siren like loop near the end.
Frankie Says Another slow down, this time much needed.
Carini great tune, but weird that they had too jam this one out.  Well played, but it seemed like they played an easier tune to just to get reconnected.
SCoilNow this is more like it.  Tight even playing by all, Trey sounds amazing, and Page has a graceful finish
CaspianIs it over? Ok, thats cool
GuyuteAs awesome as this song is for its difficulty and stamina, it's not a set saving jam.  Better served late first set or early second.  That being said, its well played
And here's where I cheated. Sorry.  Based on the fact that I had to listen to the first set about 4 times to be able to get over the holy shit feeling, and the on/off of the second, I stopped.  I never had the 3 disc in audio, and I am sorry to not listen to the whole thing.  I wasnt feeling the second set, but the first set is a gem! Great pick and a solid ending to an enjoyable round.

blatboom

I broke form and read you guys' reviews before doing mine.  Lots of interesting stuff, I'll probably respond as I go.
Like I said this was my 4th show (out of only 10 pre-H) so it's always been special to me...

Set I:

Moma Dance - Great time for Moma!  this ain't your standard version by any means.  by the end it's raging and I actually like the mind-fuck effects here and it's impressive how they can tie it all up so concisely.

Runaway Jim - no gap between these two.  I agree that the earlier they bust Jim out the better..it's perfect in this spot.  this one's well-played and the soaring outro is quite euphoric.

Bouncing - Nice stat Aug.  I wonder if it's just coincidence or a planned occurrence?  here, Bouncin serves as Tweezer's Oh Kee Pa, slamming right up into it.

>Tweezer - probably my favorite single jam I got to see live.  I liked the Lost analogy, but  I've always called it a novel because the sections are all so clearly defined like chapters, yet they flow and fit perfectly to tell a story.  Anyway, right outta the gate, Mike is on fire, smacking the shit out of his bass & Fish is laying it down so perfect, setting the tone for the jam.  They crush the main section and when the jam starts it's basically Fish and Mike while Trey and Page texture it up.  The line Mike's playing still gives me chills...I tried breaking down all the sections but I just can't do them justice :|  Where's Phan when you need him?  :-D ...oh well, I've been spinning this Tweezer for 8 years now, and it's never once felt played-out to me.

Strange Design - Kermit lol.  this was needed and turned me into a huge fan of the song (until I got tired of it)

Cavern - Hell yeah.  I love Cavern and this is one of my favorite versions.  Trey does the Jedi routine at the end.

There is no question Set I totally outshines Set II.  But there had been a lot of jamming over this two-night stand, so they did the best they could with it.  The four song encore is quite a treat, though.  I'll finish up tomorrow.

blatboom

Set II

Birds - not the most inspired choice coming off that monstrous first set...this one's just aiight, my least fave of all the ones we've heard this round...

Bug - been a while since I listened to a Bug, so it's not unwelcome.  If they hit the jam right, it can be powerful.  I do love Trey's guitar part right after the vocals...this one's just ok too...

MSO - this is hilarious in every aspect.  They're sound awful from the get-go, botching lyrics.  "we're alll playing in different keys!" gets me every time.  What I love though is after the round of solos and they bring it back, it's Pumping!  The banter that follows is priceless.  "no, I don't usually banter..and now, I'm bantering..."

Antelope - this gets nuts.  But before that, it's actually real chill in the beginning and Trey's playing some sweet lines...then it steamrolls and right when it seems like they've reached the peak, the Fucking Sirens start!  what an effect.  This is far and away the Set II highlight.

Frankie Says - nice change of pace..

Carini - love this version.  Once again it's Mike's show.  Trey's just fucking with us mumbling like that, I've never come close to making it out.  Sick sick Carini.

Squirming Coil - Never would complain about hearing this.  And, as an added bonus, Trey doesn't completely abuse his parts, and this is actually a relatively tight Coil.

Prince Caspian - yeah, they shoulda stopped at Coil.  Still when Trey hit those chords just now, I couldn't help but smile.  I just can't get with the werds.  Decent jam though.

E:

Guyute - my first so I was loving it (I heard a kid bitching on the way out saying it was his 5th Guyute in 10 shows  :lol:).  I got no problems with Guyute.  not the tightest version ever, but those are pretty hard to come by.

Inlaw - great fucking tune.

Driver - the 'dressed me in this shirt' line is particularly appropriate because Trey put on a shirt a fan threw on the stage with the Comic Store guy saying 'Worst Show Ever' (I think that actually happened the night before but I can't be sure)

Tweezer Reprise - holy shit Mike pours it on here.  Out of this world Reprise--I'm still searching for one I like more.

Whenever I actually listen to this set, I always like it more than I think I will.  Set I was a tough act to follow.  But, Antelope and Carini bring it & MSO is a treat.  Coil and Caspian to close is fine I guess.  The 4 song encore more than makes up for that.  (In my first 4 shows, I heard a total of 11 songs in the encores  :-o).  A.