News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Do AUDs kill speakers?

Started by jedifunk, October 13, 2009, 06:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

SSIA

Given that i listen to at least 85% live music from AUD sources i'm curious.  over the years i always seem to have speakers blow out in my cars.  every car i've had since i started collecting/listening to live music has had at least one speaker blow on me.

i'm curious since many (perhaps most) sources don't stack up to studio recordings or livephish, if perhaps the levels or amount of ambient white noise/static/frequencies produce added stress on the speakers.

is it the speakers, or do AUD sources have something to do with it? thoughts?
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

G. Augusto

You're just crankin' the J4Mz!

Hicks

AUDs don't kill speakers, you do.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

jedifunk

i guess thats part of my point.  the levels never seem to be high enough with AUDs so i have to turn the volume up most of the time...

any suggestions to minimize that?
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

antelope19

This might be a good place to ask.....isn't there a way to turn up the volume on certain tunes in itunes?  Basically, you would be able to turn up the volume on your AUDs without having to turn up the volume on your ipod.  The songs would just play louder already.   
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

McGrupp

Yup - pretty sure you can increase the volume on individual tracks in itunes. Will probably make the tracks clip out though, if you raise the volume too much.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Hicks

Quote from: jedifunk on October 13, 2009, 08:21:08 PM
i guess thats part of my point.  the levels never seem to be high enough with AUDs so i have to turn the volume up most of the time...

You could pop them into a wave editor and raise the levels.  That way you could also look at the waveform to keep them from clipping.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

antelope19

Quote from: McGrupp on October 13, 2009, 08:40:48 PM
Yup - pretty sure you can increase the volume on individual tracks in itunes. Will probably make the tracks clip out though, if you raise the volume too much.
Thanks, I've always wondered if that would work.  It probably won't help Jedi's problem though.   :roll:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

nab

Quote from: McGrupp on October 13, 2009, 08:40:48 PM

Left Click on Track(s)>Get Info>Options>Volume Adjustment

This is probably the better, though more time consuming option:

Quote from: Hicks on October 13, 2009, 08:43:20 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on October 13, 2009, 08:21:08 PM

You could pop them into a wave editor and raise the levels.  That way you could also look at the waveform to keep them from clipping.

sls.stormyrider

if you crank it up for the auds, make sure you turn the volume down when you're done. better yet, turn the volume down after you're done with whatever you listen to. That way, if you put in a commercial disc or put on the radio, you won't be feeding your speakers (and your ears) a huge surge of energy.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

twatts

Buy a head unit, an amp and some real speakers.  Stock car speakers are made from paper and tend to die within a year.  Stock car head units use crappy amps that do a poor job of adding volume while adding lots of noise.

I've had the same JBLs in my car for 10years now running off an Alpine and they still sound ear destroying fantastic...

Go to Crutchfield and do some shopping around.

Terry

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

jedifunk

well, i've had "real speakers" with a good deck before... still craps out after a while...

at least i've been able to surmise from this that "its not the AUDs"... although i still beg to differ.

like i said, its just not studio (obviously) and most recordings require upping the volume
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

slslbs has a good point, you may have blown them when you were switching to a much louder source, i.e. FM Radio.

twatts

Quote from: jedifunk on October 13, 2009, 11:19:44 PM
well, i've had "real speakers" with a good deck before... still craps out after a while...

at least i've been able to surmise from this that "its not the AUDs"... although i still beg to differ.

like i said, its just not studio (obviously) and most recordings require upping the volume

Then I'm not sure.  If this happens to you often, and on various systems, I have to believe its your listening habits???  You may want to look into getting a deck with smart volume.  Something that always powers up at a certain low volume then requires you to turn up, rather than one that is as loud as you left it.  My Alpine has this feature, and its nice not blowing out my ears when I first get into my car.

Another thing, does your stereo "pop" whenever you turn your car on or off?  That is a ground issue and this will damage your speakers.

Thing is, most car speakers are designed for 20Hz-20kHz.  So low frequencies shouldn't blow a speaker.  Although you could possibly damage a tweeter running bass through it, more than likely, it will just sound like crap and you'll want a bigger cone.

Things to look for:  RMS vs Peak wattage.  Most of the time, when you are listening, you aren't getting but a few watts - RMS.  Its in the crashed, etc. that you hit your Peak.  If you underpower your speakers slightly, you won't blow them. 

If you are concerned about bass levels damaging your speakers, you could get a crossover, or in-line filter to roll-off those frequencies.  You should do this with your smaller door speakers, and let your bigger rear speakers handle the full range.

I can tell you from 20years of AUD listening at very high volumes that I've NEVER had a speaker blow.  The only time I've had a speaker go "bad" is when the surround rotted and tore.  This happens due to heat in the car, and is something that can't be helped sometimes... 

Wow, its been quite a few years since I've talked about car stereos...

Thanks,

Terry

PS What kind of system do you have now???
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill