News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Portable digital recorders

Started by mbw, March 06, 2011, 08:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

so, after going to a lot of local smallish shows lately which either didnt have tapers or don't allow them, i got to looking into handheld recorders that i could slip into my shirt pocket and tape a show.  i really want to record the junip shows in april.

i don't think i want to get involved with taping rigs and what not, but who knows...

anyway, would i be able to pull a decent recording in a club with something like one of these...

Tascam DR-05 or 07
http://tascam.com/product/dr-05/

Zoom H2 or H4n
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/

mattstick, i know you work for Tascam so any input would be appreciated...

mattstick

Tascam is better than Zoom.

I own a DR-07.

If you had it near the PA, and set your levels nicely, and had the mics rather unobstructed you could get a nice recording.

mbw

if it was sticking out of a shirt pocket, or placed on a table or rail or something like that in a small club, would it be worth it?

mattstick

I realized I didn't answer your question, so I edited.

From personal experience, on a table, in a jazz club, you can get a nice recording.

mbw

Quote from: mattstick on March 06, 2011, 09:03:53 PM
I realized I didn't answer your question, so I edited.

From personal experience, on a table, in a jazz club, you can get a nice recording.

sweet.  i think i will give it a shot.  and i could always plug in other mics if i decide to get serious.
i'll trust you on the tascam over the zoom, though i sure you are a little biased.   :wink:

i like the pricetag on the DR-05...

Marmar

there's a few different makes of those recorders with built in mics....I think there's even a few that have different/changeable capsules to suit your recording needs....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

UncleEbinezer

I think GAH had a zoom that he used for a while.  We used it also to record some jam sessions.  We were relatively pleased with the recordings, but no matter what you get as matt said, set your levels.  We just plugged it in and went.  Some times drums were weak or bass was too loud, etc.

I know that isn't much help, but that's all I got.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

G. Augusto

What kind of mini tripod is there for the 05?

Marmar

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

DoW

keeping a recorder in a shirt pocket will only work if you stay farily still, at leats that is the reviews on the zoom.

another option is the church audio mics for stealthing that can be had for fairly reasonable prices and can just be velcroed to your shirt or hat or whatever.

another suggestion I'd have is finding a used one on ebay or in the yard sale on taperssection.com. 

I've even heard of someone raising a zoom on a mic stand and recording with the internal mics and pulling a decent recording of a further show (although I haven't listened to it to verify.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mbw

Quote from: bvaz on March 07, 2011, 09:09:06 AM
keeping a recorder in a shirt pocket will only work if you stay farily still, at leats that is the reviews on the zoom.

another option is the church audio mics for stealthing that can be had for fairly reasonable prices and can just be velcroed to your shirt or hat or whatever.

i'm actually lookin into his mics right now.  $100 or so, have listened to a bunch of samples, good stuff.
clip on your shirt collar.

i think i am gonna do this.

rowjimmy

I have had a guy attach his zoom recorder to my stand to tape a show with the built-in  mics.. .never heard the result. seems like a pita.

I'd buy the tascam if I were in the market now.

Then I'd look into some church-audio mics for high quality, low-key, recording.

twatts

I haven't been keeping up with the new hand-helds, but my advice is this:

after a few years of trying out different things (mics, pres, recorders, battery packs, etc.), I finally decided it was a huge waste of money and that I should have saved up and done it right the first time around.

I think your best bet is to find a unit that does everything that you would potentially want it to do in the future.  Getting a recorder with a set of good internal mics, but with a crappy 1/8" input, will do you know good next year if you want to add Church Mics.

I would spend the money on a nice Sony or Tascam unit.  You will be much happier with your results, in the long run.

Do some reading at TS.  You aren't the first in this boat, and there will be others that have posted their personal experiences...

Terry

Edit to add:  I did some quick reading on Tascams and Sonys...  It looks like most are moving towards the Sony units on TS...  THis is what I found:  http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/productComparisonChart.do?URL=/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/&models=PCMD50,PCMM10/B

IMO, the PCM-M10 is what you want...  Although if you want to potentially add an external DAC, you'll want the D50. 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

gah

yeah, I had a Zoom H4 for awhile, it worked out of for taping band practices and shows, but I didn't use it in big club/bar settings to tape other bands so can't advise you on that. I'd probably go with a nicer tascam as others have suggested if you plan on getting into it more seriously. I will say this though, hand held's are really easy to use, and as long as you're adjusting the levels right, you'll enjoy it...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill