News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R8/W06: 06-14-1995 Mud Island Amphitheater, Memphis, TN

Started by sophist, October 12, 2009, 08:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

Hicks

Quote from: birdman on October 20, 2009, 07:10:16 PM

I saw 17 out of the 27 AA ever played. It was hard to avoid this song doing all of summer tour that year.

I should add that Mud Island was one of my favorite shows from that summer for a number of reasons. Tweezer being one of the big ones, but mostly because we were seriously rolling our asses off and I kept watching my girlfriend (now wife) make out with a girl sitting behind us. They were getting quite frisky!
Ah, good times.

Those were the days. . .
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Hicks on October 20, 2009, 07:21:00 PM

I saw 17 out of the 27 AA ever played. It was hard to avoid this song doing all of summer tour that year.

I should add that Mud Island was one of my favorite shows from that summer for a number of reasons. Tweezer being one of the big ones, but mostly because we were seriously rolling our asses off and I kept watching my girlfriend (now wife) make out with a girl sitting behind us. They were getting quite frisky!
Ah, good times.

Those were the days. . .

QFMFT
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Ah, good times.
My review completely sucks when compared to this post.

redrum

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 20, 2009, 07:51:30 PM

Ah, good times.
My review completely everything else ever sucks when compared to this post.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

fauxpaxfauxreal

blatboom

last but least..

Set I:

Don't You Wanna Go - don't really like the words much but nice playing from Trey and Page in the middle.  go ahead and shelve this one.

Gumbo - nice spot for a Gumbo.  inevitable piano breakdown in 3, 2, ..

NICU - feels slowish but decent version

Mound - hell yeah, love Mound and this sounds great

Cavern - always nice to see a Cavern mid-set vs the inevitable closer

Possum - sweet guitar licks from Trey and Mike is on point.

All Things - wow something about this version makes me really like it... Fish's drums sound killer on this tape

Amazing Grace - a cappella'd

Horse>Silent - I'm such a fan of this.  audience is very quiet for The Horse and Silent kills.  love it

Spock's Brain - sweeeet.  too bad this took such a long hiatus but maybe if it hadn't it wouldn't seem so cool.  time to bring it back.

Split Open & Melt - gotta love a Split closer.  Trey sounds kinda lost at first but the jam is what counts and it rages.  nothing really out of the ordinary, just a typically awesome Split.  not the tightest outro but I'll take it

Set II:

2001 - of the short variety but I've come to appreciate these.

>Poor Heart - eh.  they better follow this up with a 50 minute jam or I will be so pissed.

>Tweezer - solid from the opening notes, pretty much a perfect main section for me.  the jam wastes no time and sounds downright beautiful out of the Uncle Ebineezer section.  little bit of dissonance and things mellow out for a second but Fish kicks it back up and another sweet section starts up.  Then back to quiet jamming but this thing stays percolating and you know it could blow up at any minute.  whoa back into Tweezer then quickly back out.. why not throw in a digital delay loop for good measure...gorgeous jam around 33 minutes.. the slow-building jam that comes next is very sick, as are the next two sections after that.  I've kinda run out of things to say.  it's just 45 minutes of awesome music with very few lulls at all which must be difficult to do but they did it.

Acoustic Army - nice choice to bring folks back to earth

WMGGW - I enjoy these when they're played well.

E:

Simple - I like it.

Rocky Top - makes sense

Tweezer Reprise - killer version, love this even though it's played all the time

such a solid show all the way around.  my first time hearing this Tweezer and it's immediately become one of my favorites.  A

khalpin

Quote from: blatboom on November 07, 2009, 01:49:28 PM
>Poor Heart - eh.  they better follow this up with a 50 minute jam or I will be so pissed.
:lol:

StCarl

I was looking for something kick ass to listen to before I went out on a ride, so I ipod'd up the lossy source from the spreadsheet.  Good choice.  I was getting ready during the beginning of the set - left the house on Cavern  - a good rocker to get me going.  Had to adjust my fraying front brake cable during Horse>Silent.  Rolling again for Spock's Brain - I dig this tune and I let it get me going again.  Back up and rocking hard for Split Open and Melt.  Took a short break myself at setbreak>2001.   

Tweezer had me biking around a lake, it was warm, like 60ยบ - shadows long but the sun still above the trees...  when they returned to the Tweezer theme the sun was behind the trees and the sky colors were excellent.  Things got a little weird and the colors were changing rapidly.  For me this is where things really took off, a little under a half an hour in - the bit with the whistling and the following cacophony.  As it got darker, the jam got sweeter and I was totally riding on it.  I remember telling myself to look up to see if I was thinking right that the phish had never covered Moonlight Mile because this jam sounds like it's flying around it somewhere - really excellent... Slave, wait, what - is it 6pm or two in the morning?  where am I?... time warp to last year (see 6-18-94) MLBesque jamming.  Holy shit.  Full dark. 

[edit to add: had to listen again and by the way, that is a total MLB.  I'm surprised it isn't noted, but it was very nice to be surprised by hearing it.]

I hit city streets right as the thing wound down and then for acoustic army, which worked perfectly, and got me back hauling ass on the river trail for the simple/rocky top/tweezer rep.  Sweet show capper - loved it.  This whole thing was just the kind of experience I'm after.  Thanks for the listening prompt.
Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.