News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Which one summer 09 show would you recommend to a skeptic?

Started by Alumni, September 23, 2009, 01:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alumni

Those of you who think that 3.0 really is an improvement on PH, which one show would you recommend to a skeptic -- someone who thinks that despite Page seemingly getting his **** together, the band as a whole still seems lost.

I've found a bunch of decent-sounding recordings from this summer (thanks, superfreakie, for pointing me in the right direction), and I've listened to a handful, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for [/Bono]

Alternate idea for the skeptics with no answer to the above: Does anyone else get the impression that there's an inverse relationship between the quality of Kuroda's toys and the music?
Cause I got a degree

WhatstheUse?

Page got his shit together? What about Trey?

Something about Bono?

The better the lights, the worse the music?

Me confused  :?

Bring in the dude!

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Alumni

I'm talking about the music. From what I've heard of PH Phish, Page was a weak link. That doesn't seem true anymore. I guess you thought I was referring to substance abuse or something? I don't know their personal lives. I'm not that sort of fan. If Trey's personal life is 100 times better these days, that's wonderful. But I'm talking about the band.

Unless you're saying Trey's musicianship is back? In that case . . . I like snark as much as anyone, but a straight answer would be cool, too. :) Where can I hear it?

Re: Kuroda, it seems to me that the guy is almost over-compensating for the music, rather than accenting it like he used to do. I guess I'm in the minority there, too.  :-D
Cause I got a degree

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: Alumni on September 23, 2009, 01:27:34 PM
I'm talking about the music. From what I've heard of PH Phish, Page was a weak link. That doesn't seem true anymore. I guess you thought I was referring to substance abuse or something? I don't know their personal lives. I'm not that sort of fan. If Trey's personal life is 100 times better these days, that's wonderful. But I'm talking about the band.

Unless you're saying Trey's musicianship is back? In that case . . . I like snark as much as anyone, but a straight answer would be cool, too. :) Where can I hear it?

Re: Kuroda, it seems to me that the guy is almost over-compensating for the music, rather than accenting it like he used to do. I guess I'm in the minority there, too.  :-D
Page was never a weak link...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

Alumni

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on September 23, 2009, 01:29:37 PM
Page was never a weak link...
:? I thought he was in 2004. Admittedly, I'm working with a small sample size. After getting 2-3 shows from that spring-summer, I basically quit. :p

Edit:

I didn't post the question to stir things up. I'm playing it straight. There aren't enough hours in the day to listen to everything, or to read every page of every post-show thread. I'm just looking for some advice on where to start. Setlists are little help when Fluffs are a dime a dozen, and you don't already know the new arrangements from having been on tour. What are some of the Phish-iest shows out there? 'Cause they're not the ones I almost went to before I decided to save cash for my move...

Edit2: Gorge, eh? Sounds good. Thanks, +K

Cause I got a degree

sprobeck

The show I'm listening to now the SBD of 07-31-2009 Red Rocks would be a great choice.
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

Hicks

I agree, people tend to overlook the fact that Page was SER off of his game on many nights during 2.0. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Poster Nutbag

I agree with Antelope on either Gorge show and also sprobeck on 7/31 - Red Rocks and would also add 6/19 - Deer Creek... which may seem a little strange, but its a solid show from beginning to end...

It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

rowjimmy

Trey isn't the only one who had things to deal with when Phish "ended" in 2004.
/story

Page is not a problem in Phish 3.0.

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 23, 2009, 01:40:28 PM
/story

Indeed, he gets most improved from 2.0 to 3.0 in my book.

It's good to know that the town isn't throwing down on him anymore.

Seriously. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 23, 2009, 01:40:28 PM
/story

Yeah I guess towards the end of `04 they all were struggling to hold their shit together, but in `03 I thought Page still had his stuff working for him and so did Mike who really elevated his game in Phish 2.0