News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

can really use some help

Started by adavem, January 24, 2009, 08:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adavem

i'm really clueless when it comes to this so go easy on me.i have a hi def tv with 1 hdmi plug and 2 component video sets.i hava a hd cable box which is connected to the hdmi on the tv.i have a home theater set with separate reciever and dvd player, which both have component video sets which are both connected to tv(i think this is wrong, but everything works so i dont what else to do) the problem is that i want to add a ps3 so i can play blu-ray and play games in hd and stereo and i dont have a clue how to do it.can anyone help?it would really be appreciated.

mattstick

Not sure where to start here...

Your stereo receiver is connected to your TV?
Run video cables to your TV and audio cables to your receiver.
Sounds like you want to re-connect your Cable Box with component video cables, then use the HDMI for your PS3.

VA $l!m

Quote from: adavem on January 24, 2009, 08:20:47 PM
i'm really clueless when it comes to this so go easy on me.i have a hi def tv with 1 hdmi plug and 2 component video sets.i hava a hd cable box which is connected to the hdmi on the tv.i have a home theater set with separate reciever and dvd player, which both have component video sets which are both connected to tv(i think this is wrong, but everything works so i dont what else to do) the problem is that i want to add a ps3 so i can play blu-ray and play games in hd and stereo and i dont have a clue how to do it.can anyone help?it would really be appreciated.
hmmmm...

first of all, you'll have a better chance of gettign the answers you need if a moderator could move this to the correct forum: tech discussion.

but as matt said, its sorta hard to envision all that you are trying to get across.
also, there isnt always one correct answer to these things... there are usually multiple solutions.
what we really need to know is precisely what inputs does your receiver have and what inputs does your TV have: IE: 1 HDMI in, @ componet ins, etc.

but, it sounds like you practically have the same setup as me, so i'll tell you what i have going on...

i have a reciever that is not HDMI compatible, but my TV has 3 HDMI ins, as well as 3 componet ins.
my receiver has 3  componet ins as well.

i could run all of my video componet cables--dvd, cable, xbox360 all into my receiver and then use the bypass video switching to run one componet video set of cables out to my TV. then run all of my audio cables whether digital or analog straight into my receiver...BUT instead i like to run all of my video cables straight into my TV and just run my audio into my receiver.
with my PS3 i run a HDMI out to my TV but it only uses the Video part and then the audio i run through a digital optical audio cable to my receiver... unfortunately this is the only/best way to run the PS# unless you have HDMI inputs in your receiver and it is capable of handling 7.1 surround (thats the simple explanation).
Does your reciever take HDMI at all?

i know i prorbably didnt help you much there, but post a response if you want with some more questions detailed as much as possible and many folks here can help.
and like i said it sounds like you have/want a similar setup as i have so i can probably helpas well if i better understand what it is you are asking.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-