News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Soon to be Muslim Congressman Under Fire

Started by sophist, December 04, 2006, 09:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Once again, god people are wasting time, money and energy on god-crap rather than addressing the real issues of the here-and-now on EARTH.

As for an athiest pres...
Vote rowjimmy in 2012.

tet

Quote from: slslbs on December 06, 2006, 12:11:51 PM
I suspect Lieberman held his hand over an Old Testament.

the surprising thing here (and personally concerning and embarrasing to me) is apparantly the guy who is making a stink over this is not from the religious right but Jewish. One would hope that a member of a "minority" ( as I am) would be more sensitive to other minorities.

um, who says someone who is jewish can't be from the religious right?  i've got many modern orthodox family members, and knowing their community, i'd say it's far more common than you'd think.  religious right views are very similar independent of whichever deity you pick...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

susep

Quote from: tet on December 14, 2006, 10:24:46 PM
religious right views are very similar independent of whichever deity you pick...

interesting thought, do religious right views exist outside of creationism?

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: tet on December 14, 2006, 10:24:46 PM
um, who says someone who is jewish can't be from the religious right?  i've got many modern orthodox family members, and knowing their community, i'd say it's far more common than you'd think.  religious right views are very similar independent of whichever deity you pick...
true, true.
my own naive way of thinking is that people who have been persecuted for their religious beliefs should be a bit more tolerant of others. well, everyone should be tolerant, but especially victims. like i said, it is a naive way of thinking.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

flow00

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 12, 2006, 01:22:36 PM
Once again, god people are wasting time, money and energy on god-crap rather than addressing the real issues of the here-and-now on EARTH.

As for an athiest pres...
Vote rowjimmy in 2012.

And once again you are putting "god people" into one category, as if a belief in a higher being presupposes ill intentions. I know plenty of people in the faith community who ignore the gay bashing and other intolerant attitudes and manage to improve people's lives without expecting anything in exchage. Religion isn't politics for everyone. It's rather shallow-minded, in my opinion, to marginalize an entire group based on the fringe. And maybe you are talking about the fringe, but you never qualify it.