News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Sweet 16 - Round 3 - Natty Dread Region 1-Bob Marley v. 4-George Clinton and P-F

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 25, 2011, 07:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igbo

Quote from: goodabouthood on March 28, 2011, 03:39:16 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 28, 2011, 03:36:18 PM
Quote from: Igbo on March 28, 2011, 03:33:06 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 28, 2011, 03:26:22 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 28, 2011, 03:24:54 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 28, 2011, 03:20:14 PM
The P-Funk mob is far from a one trick pony.

Their blend of Doo-Wop, R and B, Psychedelic Rock among other genres is far more convention breaking than Bob Marley's folk reggae.

I absolutely love Bob Marley.  However, George Clinton and his bands are far more crucial to the evolution of Rock, imo.

Also, this name calling has got to stop.  If it's not cool when I cross the line, it shouldn't be cool when others cross the line with respect to me.

Jane, you ignorant slut. Bob Marley started with Doo-Wop just like Clinton did... added in a little island goodness...some folk and rock and roll...  oh yeah, then he delivered a country out of oppression... and was a prophet... like from God and stuff... and inspired a generation of people from every corner of the globe to be better people and love one another...

But, yeah, Doo-doo-chasers are more important.

Really, Bob started with dub.

Nothing dubby here

The early horn line in the first 10 seconds is very dubby.

For fucks sake man, he started with SKA, not DUB! You're confusing two 3 letter words! Do you even know the difference!?!??!

Apparently not since he thinks thats dubby

Hicks

Any Bob tracks that sound dubby are the direct result of Lee Scratch being at the board.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Their blend of Doo-Wop, R and B, Psychedelic Rock among other genres is far more convention breaking than Bob Marley's folk reggae.

I absolutely love Bob Marley.  However, George Clinton and his bands are far more crucial to the evolution of Rock, imo.

Also, this name calling has got to stop.  If it's not cool when I cross the line, it shouldn't be cool when others cross the line with respect to me.

Jane, you ignorant slut. Bob Marley started with Doo-Wop just like Clinton did... added in a little island goodness...some folk and rock and roll...  oh yeah, then he delivered a country out of oppression... and was a prophet... like from God and stuff... and inspired a generation of people from every corner of the globe to be better people and love one another...

Nothing dubby here

lol

That's straight up ska.
Prior to actual recording opportunities, they were a vocal group patterned after the doo-wop and r&b singles from the US.

That said, musically, Bob Marley never did much more than lead the best reggae band in the world. He and his group didn't do much to innovate the music, they just made it insanely popular by playing it very well and keeping it commercially accessible.

PFunk opened doors and minds. They reminded a generation of kids that you don't have to be a white dude to be a rocker and that Jimi Hendrix was more than just an anomaly. They inspired a whole generation of rockers and fueled a generation of hiphop samplers...

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 28, 2011, 03:43:43 PM

Nothing dubby here

lol

That's straight up ska.
Prior to actual recording opportunities, they were a vocal group patterned after the doo-wop and r&b singles from the US.

That said, musically, Bob Marley never did much more than lead the best reggae band in the world. He and his group didn't do much to innovate the music, they just made it insanely popular by playing it very well and keeping it commercially accessible.

PFunk opened doors and minds. They reminded a generation of kids that you don't have to be a white dude to be a rocker and that Jimi Hendrix was more than just an anomaly. They inspired a whole generation of rockers and fueled a generation of hiphop samplers...

This is exactly what I was getting at right here and is exactly why P-Funk trumps Bob to me.

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on March 28, 2011, 03:43:31 PM
Any Bob tracks that sound dubby are the direct result of Lee Scratch being at the board.

Lee Perry produced Wailers is just about the only Marley I listen to anymore.

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 28, 2011, 03:49:20 PM

I prefer the early stuff as well, but there are some great Island tracks too.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

Nothing dubby here

lol

That's straight up ska.

Poet and a prophet vs. Rumpofsteelskin. I don't know.

Look. Like I said, you will be hard pressed to find a bigger P-Funk fan than me. I get it... all of it. But we're talking about "Free your mind and you ass will follow. The Kingdom of Heaven is within." vs. "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds."

Same message? Close. But one struck a chord with people the world over... one struck a chord with sub-culture of the US.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on March 28, 2011, 03:50:43 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 28, 2011, 03:49:20 PM

I prefer the early stuff as well, but there are some great Island tracks too.

Sure. I have all of that stuff too, but I never really put it on.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 28, 2011, 03:51:43 PM

Nothing dubby here

lol

That's straight up ska.

Look. Like I said, you will be hard pressed to find a bigger P-Funk fan than me. I get it... all of it. But we're talking about "Free your mind and you ass will follow. The Kingdom of Heaven is within." vs. "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds."

Same message? Close. But one struck a chord with people the world over... one struck a chord with sub-culture of the US.

One was influential in the development of the Dave Matthew's Band.

The other brought about Dr. Dre, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Snoop Dogg.

Which do you prefer the latter or the former?

rowjimmy

I find it shocking someone is laying so much stock in the lyrics of one artist while Bob Fucking Dylan is being hammered in another thread by a band he inspired to take up pens.

I thought it was clear that most of you people don't listen to the words.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 28, 2011, 03:53:30 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 28, 2011, 03:51:43 PM

Nothing dubby here

lol

That's straight up ska.

One was influential in the development of the Dave Matthew's Band the Clash, the Police, all sorts of island and African music, Phish, the entire Ska movement, plus Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, etc.

The other brought about Dr. Dre, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Snoop Dogg.

Which do you prefer the latter or the former?

FYP.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 28, 2011, 03:55:38 PM
I find it shocking someone is laying so much stock in the lyrics of one artist while Bob Fucking Dylan is being hammered in another thread by a band he inspired to take up pens.

I thought it was clear that most of you people don't listen to the words.

I voted correctly over there as well!

ETA: Also, that's Dylan vs. the Beatles. It should be a lot closer than it is, but this one, I just don't get it really.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Hicks

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.