News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Final - 1-Phish v 1-Grateful Dead

Started by UncleEbinezer, April 07, 2011, 03:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mistercharlie

Quote from: phil on April 08, 2011, 09:50:53 AM
When I was a kid, GD music was omnipresent. It shaped who I was before Phish had a chance to shape who I was. Had my parents been Phishheads and not Deadheads, I surmise that my life would have been drastically different.

My parents were deadheads also, but then became phishheads as well. I still went  :phish:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mattstick

susep

tough vote.  I love the  :syf: from '68-78 whereas I love  :phish: from '93-04(sans Vegas, except the Twist), 10 years each.  My favorite music from both bands are their forays into the "x" or unknown.  The Dead went through many transformations as did Phish but beyond those stylistic and artistic evolutions, its when both bands "hook up" and become 1 improvisationally is where I love them the most.  Still undecided...

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mbw

kinda surprised at the whoopin the  GD is getting...

PIE-GUY

Quote from: phil on April 08, 2011, 09:50:53 AM
When I was a kid, GD music was omnipresent. It shaped who I was before Phish had a chance to shape who I was. Had my parents been Phishheads and not Deadheads, I surmise that my life would have been drastically different.

When I was a kid, Beatles music was omnipresent. I voted for them over Phish and would have voted for them over the Dead. Still, I voted for Phish.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

susep

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 08, 2011, 11:20:34 AM
When I was a kid, Beatles music was omnipresent. I voted for them over Phish and would have voted for them over the Dead. Still, I voted for Phish.

last round I voted the Beatles over Phish and Hendrix over the Dead, voting in this round is a regression really. :-D

sophist

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on April 08, 2011, 11:09:39 AM
Indeed.  I thought it would be a closer match. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

cactusfan

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: sophist on April 08, 2011, 11:45:58 AM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on April 08, 2011, 11:09:39 AM
Indeed.  I thought it would be a closer match.
:phish: beat out Miles, the Beatles, and  :syf:

if I didn't know any better, I would think this message board is devoted to  :phish:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

WhatstheUse?

seemed pretty obvious to me that the  :syf: would get trumped by  :phish:

:phish: IS the main reason we are all here.
Bring in the dude!

twatts

Quote from: susep73 on April 08, 2011, 11:30:44 AM

last round I voted the Beatles over Phish and Hendrix over the Dead, voting in this round is a regression really. :-D

^^^
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

zimbra

"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged