News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Live Phish: How to safely remove the sticky goo

Started by twatts, November 22, 2008, 02:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twatts

OK, so I've seen the discussion over the years.  And I saw that my own LP CDs are pretty much all covered with "that sticky goo" a couple of years ago.  But I never did anything about it because I don't listen to those discs...

Anyways, has anyone come up with a safe way to remove the goo??? 

I'm going to play with some safe solvents today.  I'll report back... 

If anyone can point me to a previous thread, that would be great.  I've had no luck with Search, nor Google...

Thanks,

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

twatts

OK, I've had immediate success:  isopropyl alcohol. 

Using cotton balls, lightly damp with isopropyl alcohol, I've been able to remove the goo without damaging the artwork or finish of the CDs.  I've also been able to remove any goo from the Folder Pages as well. 

After wiping down everything, I've wiped clean with cotton balls soaked in water.  The first few are up in the kitchen drying now. 

So far, I've had great success.  I've also pushed paper CD envelopes in to sleeves of the Folder Pages and intend to put the CDs back in the Folder.

Thanks,

Terry

edit:  I've noticed that some of the color from the artwork comes off with the alcohol.  I highly recommend that you use the alcohol sparingly and wipe very lightly. 
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

blatboom

Quote from: twatts on November 22, 2008, 02:47:35 PM
OK, I've had immediate success:  isopropyl alcohol. 

Using cotton balls, lightly damp with isopropyl alcohol, I've been able to remove the goo without damaging the artwork or finish of the CDs.  I've also been able to remove any goo from the Folder Pages as well. 

After wiping down everything, I've wiped clean with cotton balls soaked in water.  The first few are up in the kitchen drying now. 

So far, I've had great success.  I've also pushed paper CD envelopes in to sleeves of the Folder Pages and intend to put the CDs back in the Folder.

Thanks,

Terry

awesome!!

I found our thread about it (ya gotta search "goopy"  :wink:) but it looks like you don't need it.  I was thinking alcohol myself but I've been afraid to try.  Thanks for the update!

http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=7895.0

twatts

Quote from: blatboom on November 22, 2008, 02:53:05 PM

I found our thread about it (ya gotta search "goopy"  :wink:) but it looks like you don't need it.  I was thinking alcohol myself but I've been afraid to try.  Thanks for the update!

Thanks!  Yeah, "goopy", who would have thought of that?!?  Hahaha!

NC State is killing UNC...

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

blatboom

Quote from: twatts on November 22, 2008, 03:12:52 PM
Quote from: blatboom on November 22, 2008, 02:53:05 PM

Thanks!  Yeah, "goopy", who would have thought of that?!?  Hahaha!

NC State is killing UNC...

Terry

:-D

yeah, you can't figure the ACC out this year.  but mediocrity sure does make for a competitive title race  :-P

whyweigh5.0

mine have all been in storage for so long Im almost afraid to go dig them up.  I bet they are all gooey
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

twatts

UPDATE:

Ok, so I've gone through the first 5x.  The first couple are dry, but I found that they all had streaking.  They also all had a very fine film of sticky and residue from the alcohol.  Seems like the alcohol melts the goo and removes a lot of it.  But it leaves a little behind as the alcohol evaporates. 

So, I've added another step to the process.  I've filled the sink with warm water and palmolive and washed each CD.  They are now drying and none show the streaking.

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

blatboom

Quote from: twatts on November 22, 2008, 04:07:01 PM
UPDATE:

Ok, so I've gone through the first 5x.  The first couple are dry, but I found that they all had streaking.  They also all had a very fine film of sticky and residue from the alcohol.  Seems like the alcohol melts the goo and removes a lot of it.  But it leaves a little behind as the alcohol evaporates. 

So, I've added another step to the process.  I've filled the sink with warm water and palmolive and washed each CD.  They are now drying and none show the streaking.

Terry

now this is a sweet blog.

thanks for the updates.

mattstick

twatts

Oh!  Look what time it is!  Have to take a break... 

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

blatboom

Quote from: mattstick on November 22, 2008, 04:18:10 PM

What a PITA.

no kidding.  but if I can get this shit off and put them in a new binder I'll be stoked.  it's on 50-60 percent of my discs.

twatts

I anyone is interested, I have a second, brand-new totally unused LP Binder.  I bought 2x binders at the very beginning figuring they would release more than 20x.  Of course they did not, so it sat unused in a box for years.  I'm willing to sell for cheap, or trade for a spindle of blanks...

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

blatboom

Quote from: twatts on November 22, 2008, 04:27:25 PM
I anyone is interested, I have a second, brand-new totally unused LP Binder.  I bought 2x binders at the very beginning figuring they would release more than 20x.  Of course they did not, so it sat unused in a box for years.  I'm willing to sell for cheap, or trade for a spindle of blanks...

Terry

pm'd

twatts

----------------------

I want super-human will

Gumbo72203

the only one i ever had a problem with the goop was the Darien Lake show. 

still haven't heard that show.......
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again