News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Levon Helm Band @ The Beacon on St Patty's Day

Started by mattstick, March 19, 2007, 03:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

rowjimmy

Awesome.
Levon is a rock & roll god.
imo, he's the best (male) singing drummer in rock.

And, f you bring up Phil Collins, I'll bring up Disney's "Tarzan" and you'll have to die of embarrassment.

sls.stormyrider

I don't think he has much competition for the best singing drummer, rock or otherwise.
that said, I would put him up against anyone, regardless of what instrument they played. His (and Danko's) vocals matched the sound and emotion of the Band perfectly.
sounds like it was a great show.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Casey Lenahan

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 19, 2007, 03:28:28 PM
Awesome.

And, f you bring up Phil Collins, I'll bring up Disney's "Tarzan" and you'll have to die of embarrassment.

What about Fish?
I owe Aug $20

mattstick

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 19, 2007, 03:28:28 PM
Awesome.

question: "I'm gonna make you a mix tape, do you like Phil Collins?"

response: "I have two ears and a heart don't I?"

rowjimmy

Quote from: tehdead on March 19, 2007, 09:40:19 PM
What about Fish?

Fish is an entertaining singer.
Best singer? Not by a long shot and he'd laugh at the suggestion (though I doubt he's above being flattered a bit.)

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on March 20, 2007, 06:11:16 AM
question: "I'm gonna make you a mix tape, do you like Phil Collins?"

response: "I have two ears and a heart don't I?"

"So, that's a 'no', then, is it?"

mattstick

sls.stormyrider

^^that show is a riot. Now I have one more reason to watch it.

back on topic - if you don't have Rock of Ages (I'll bet RJ and Matt have it), it's definitely worth picking up.
Hopefully Levon will be touring this summer.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

sls.stormyrider

coincidentally, this just appeared:

http://shnflac.net/details.php?id=6fd34f1a14ff4794cde45c66dd3b97c60100763c

The Band, 9/18/76
   A quick note:

I've had a number of messages asking me if I Eq'd these tapes or wondering how I got them to sound this good. I never EQ anything nor did I use noise reduction. When I first began taping a friend showed my how to "Bias' my reels. This ended up being a 'pain in the neck' but also allowed me to make excellent dubs on different manufactured tapes (though the bulk of my collection is on Maxell). Then there was the 10 1/2" reels. I only knew one other person who had a deck capable of playing back large reels. So.....most of my 10 1/2" reels have only been played back 3-4 times. None of my large reels saw heavy usage. They have stood up well over 30 yrs........and there are more to come...

This is my 'Off Air' master of The Band Palladium New York 9-18-76.

This broadcast is a little funky....the audience levels are brought up between songs (the crowd is rowdy) and the vocals are a tad weak at times. The stereo separation expands and contracts in a few places....

I broke out the Announcers talking into separate tracks in case you wanted to omit them.......(For your listening pleasure). The WBCN ID's were not broken out as they overlapped the audience......they also contain a plug for Ampex Tape and Lechmeres. I'll leave it up to you as to what you want to do with them. Believe it or not I had to do a reel flip during this show.......it is only during the 2nd encore when the announcers are talking and did not edit out any music.  (Anybody out there ever do a 10 1/2" reel flip......it can be a little tricky). Though this has been uploaded before, my reels do sound excellent...and I thought there would be a few folks that would enjoy this quality!!  Hezekiahx2

The Band w/ Howard Johnson Horns
Palladium, New York  (Opening Night of the Palladium formally the 'Academy of Music')
9-18-76
WBCN-FM Broadcast (also on WNEW & WHCN)

Lineage:

Master 'off air' FM Reel [Maxell UD35-180 10 1/2" reel (Revox B-77) 7 1/2ips 1/4 track] --> Tascam CD-RW2000 --> EAC --> CDWAV --> FLAC

Disc 1

01. Announcers Intro
02. MC Introduction
03. Ophelia
04. The Shape I'm In / WBCN ID
05. It Makes No Difference
06. The Weight / WBCN ID
07. King Harvest (Has Surely Come)
08. The Twilight
09. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
10. Across The Great Divide
11. Stage Fright / WBCN ID
12. Forbidden Fruit

Disc 2

01. Acadian Driftwood
02. The Genetic Method
03. Chest Fever / WBCN ID
04. This Wheel's On Fire
05. Don't Do It
06. DJ Announcement

Encore
07. DJ Announcement
08. Up On Cripple Creek
09. Life Is A Carnival w/ Paul Butterfield
10. DJ Announcement / Cut (10 1/2" Reel Flip)
11. The WS Wallcott's Medicine Show
12. DJ Announcement
grabbed it last night. I'll let you know

antelope19

Quote from: slslbs on March 22, 2007, 09:28:46 AM

The Band, 9/18/76grabbed it last night. I'll let you know

mmmmm....yes please.  I have a friend who would die to hear a good quality recording of the Band.  let me know what you think.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sls.stormyrider

get it.

better than avg sound for a 76 FM (ie very good). The Band + horns.

most Band boots I've seen are from the 80s, ie no Robbie. This is the real Band.