News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New Forums

Started by guyforget, August 23, 2005, 02:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

primus-d

Quote from: VA slim on August 23, 2005, 06:56:09 PM
such as the Private messaging system...is it just a in/ out box now?--w/ no save box?

slim - in your profile, under personal message options, you can set it to save msgs in the outbox by default... (if that's what you were talking about?)
After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

Aldous Huxley

tet

like that icon, primus-d!  the fox eating the e.... very nice!  :mrgreen:
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mattstick

new setup is great - my avatar is huge!

bigups to guyforget

VA $l!m

trying to compensate for something matt... :wink:
-j/k.

actually the scrolling aspect of the avatars bugs the F outta me...i just want to have a set size and look at an entire pic...small , big whatever restrictions,, just find the scrolling thing annoying--as i already said once.

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jephrey

I am guessing there's a way to "auto-scale" a user image to fit to a certain width and just let the height go...  I think my bro's forums have it (a different type of forums, but they all gotta be somewhat similar)

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

crnl4bn

Quote from: jephrey on August 24, 2005, 11:01:08 AM
I am guessing there's a way to "auto-scale" a user image to fit to a certain width and just let the height go... I think my bro's forums have it (a different type of forums, but they all gotta be somewhat similar)

Jephrey

it'd be easier if an "auto-scale" exists..

if all else fails, you can resize it yourself, check this out...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Resizer

This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've used this tool for a while and it works like a charm!!!
http://db.etree.org/flavaflav

This opportune physical form
Is worth more than a wish-granting gem.
You only gain its like the once.
So hard to get, so easily destroyed,
It's like a lightning bolt in the sky.

Contemplate this, and you will realize
All worldly actions are but winnowed chaff,
And night and day you must
Extract some essence from your life.
I, the yogi, practiced this way;
You, wanting liberation, do the same!

- Lord Tsongkhapa, King of the Dharma

jephrey

I just did mine in photo editor (crop, then resize.  looks like the max width without scrolling is 150 pixels)  I wonder if that could be noted on that page for reference.  I just thought that something bulit-in would be sweeter.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

crnl4bn

the power resizer installs itself, but it includes itself in your right-click options menu, so whenever you feel like resizing an image you right click it and set your output dimensions, and its done, i guess i just prefer using it because it eliminates the need to open a program everytime.

Edit: less one idiotic comment!!!

rowjimmy

I could be wrong but, doesn't it really depend on the viewer's screen/window resolution/size? crnl4bn's current avatar scrolls if i go full screen in my primary monitor but, if i expand the window across both of my monitors, it shows the entire avatar.

guyforget

The largest allowed avatar at this moment is 400 x 400 pixels.  I figure it all depends on your screen resolution as to how large an avatar one can view without the scroll bars.  Personally, as long as the scroll bars are there and its not stretching my screen to crazy proportions I dont care how large an avatar is. 

And I like being able to show off art that I collect.   :-D :-o

Edit: I should have expected rowjimmy to be a step ahead of me; again.   :-D
-AD_

crnl4bn

i was saying that 245pxls is the maximum width (with my monitor's screen resolution set 1600x1200) before the scrolling effect happens!!!

150pixels is a little over 61% of 245pixels... I was thinking that a 39% reduction of my screen resolution would be a lot smaller, maybe 1024x768... I don't know, I just thought that sounded a little lowrez...

I don't know, I guess I just decided to take the liberty of assuming that jephrey had a higher screen rez set...

Never-the-less, thanks for the correction.

guyforget

My res is set at 1280x1024.  I might try out 1600x1200 just because I dont think that I ever have...  though Ill have to track down some new backgrounds. 

The most annoying thing about having a large avatar is seeing it at the top of the page all of the time.  I havent found a way to disable that and I dont think its possible without removing that part of the code.  Which is doable, but doing that would negate the reason for switching - which was that Id hacked up the old forums with modifications and such to the point that they were impossible to keep updated security-wise. 

A few things on the positive side, though...  Watch the bottom of the page where it says "Page created in...".  It very rarely goes to .1 seconds or above.  Much quicker than the old forums, which is at least partially due to the mods to the code, and which could have been improved with upgrades most likely.  Also theres this entertaining guy with the afro:  :mrgreen:
-AD_

tet

guyforget:
to get rid of the picture up top, click on that up-arrow to the left of the HOME button  :-o
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VA $l!m

Quote from: tet on August 24, 2005, 01:32:27 PM
guyforget:
to get rid of the picture up top, click on that up-arrow to the left of the HOME buttonĀ  :-o

thanx tet, that was another thing bugging me.

and the thing about the avatar size ...well i'm just bitching about nothing really, which i SWORE i'd stop doing.
--i just dislike the scrolling bars really. :mrgreen:...whatever you do GUYf --don't get rid of afro man :mrgreen: :-D
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

guyforget

Quote from: tet on August 24, 2005, 01:32:27 PM
guyforget:
to get rid of the picture up top, click on that up-arrow to the left of the HOME button  :-o

Hey, thats neat!  But Id still like to be able to keep all of that information, just lose the image.  Thatd be ideal to me.  I can add a little text blurb on the right side of the "week4paug.net | Spurious Generalities | etc, etc line that restates the " 10819 Posts in 1505 Topics by 761 Members
Latest Member: guthrie101 " In the "Key Stats" box, but I figure most people keep that clicked so that they can see the User Info and such...  So its kinda redundant. 

-AD_