News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Why Phish fans?

Started by zaudragon, April 19, 2007, 01:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaudragon

Hello!

Being fairly new to Phish and these forums, I love Phish, but haven't discovered the special-ness of Phish. What makes you all fans? Why is Phish so special? And are you here for the music, or the fan community as well?

---Zaudragon

sophist

I'm here for the Bud light.  only.   :-P
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

Come on, give the guy a serious answer.
Everyone knows you're in it for the chicks.

Me, I'm married so the chicks aren't as compelling a draw.

When I walked into my first Phish show, a pretty girl handed me a small, red, 3x5" piece of paper with a photocopied, hand-drawn picture of the band and the following caption:

Phish is a really cool band.

She was right.

sophist

OK. Here it goes:

I love Phish because they are one of the few bands that touches my soul, and puts me on a transcending level that lies between the spiritual and physical realm.  The music moves me like no other band can, and as a result Phish's music is like a soundtrack to my life, it simply moves to the rhythm of life and is always present.  Like the Grateful Dead, Phish is able to create something that is bigger than any ego, and forces the listener to lose his or her ego.  This is something that isn't common in rock music, and that also attracts me to the music.  Finally Phish is made up of dorks and I am a dork. 

As for the community, it is important to me.  I love all the peeps here at the paug.  This board defines what the community is about, and you'll find many good people here. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

DoW

RJ, we must have had the same first show because the same thing happened to me.

seriously though, listen to the music.  
if you get it, you'll feel like us.
if you don't, you can go listen to what makes you happy.

between the live experience, the improv, the talent that each member brings, the different setlist each night, the community, the different sounds over different eras and lastly, the girls that hand you notes at shows.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

sls.stormyrider

agree with phan and bvaz. (I refrained from the temptation to add something sarcastic at this point - there's time for that later.)

I might add the creativity, spontanaity, and humor also make them special.

as for the board, I started to lurking here to learn about the band, shows, etc (I was a latecomer). I found many knowledgable  :phish: phans but also people knowledgable about music in general. It's a great place to discuss all things music (mostly improvisational related) without fear of someone jumping down your throat (at least without reason). Even the politix convos are civil.

keep listening - you may find that special link to the music. If not, that's OK.
and  welcome to the paug :beers:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sophist

Yes. I meant to say welcome also.  For the record, all sarcasm from me is friendly, and should never be taken seriously. 

shoreline99

I'm just here to see who get's aug'd on a daily basis. And the free beer nuts.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

August

WHY PHISH FANS????
WHHHHHYYYYYY??!!??!

A

susep

The first time I heard Phish, after the first few minutes, I knew I had discovered a contemporary psychadelic band.  They were a great soundtrack to my college days and as an aspiring musician I've learned from them.

rowjimmy

Quote from: bvaz on April 19, 2007, 08:53:22 AM
RJ, we must have had the same first show because the same thing happened to me.

Fall 94?

VA $l!m

ha!
forgot about that flyer.

+K
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sls.stormyrider

I thought he was kidding.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

I still have it.
Hafta dig into the archives and scan it, I guess.

OctopusRider

What makes them so special to me?...

The first time I heard them I was overwhelmed with familiarity and new sounds at the same time. I think that still holds up as the reason I'm still a fan.

Oh yeah...and Trey is the best guitar player ever!

Welcome to the paug!  :beers: