News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

I'm alphabetical in the living room, but I'm out of space there, so the largest "collections" are back in my office. What that means is that any artist that takes up more than a foot of shelf space has their own section in my office. That includes the Beatles, Neil Young, Dylan, GD, Phish, plus all Daptone releases, all compilations, and a section for anything out of New Orleans. Nina Simone is on the verge of making the move back soon... and I'm about to create a Texas section back there similar to the New Orleans section.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

I am also out of space in the living room. Working on retooling a couple rooms in my house to remedy this. At which point genres like Jazz, Folk & bluegrass, classical, spoken word, & V/A will be located elsewhere.

emay

Quote from: Hicks on December 27, 2017, 09:54:20 PM
Quote from: jam> on December 27, 2017, 09:30:43 PM
Quote from: Hicks on December 27, 2017, 09:08:39 PM
Quote from: jam> on December 27, 2017, 08:58:22 PM
Quote from: mattstick on December 27, 2017, 08:31:46 PM
Wife and kid are out of town, put the headband on and started re-organizing the records...

Jazz was previously sorted by label, switching to artist.  Anyone have any recommendations for dividers I can use for sorting?  Thinking of grouping the Misc Jazz artists into like A-C, C-F, etc.

I don't know about any dividers but I'm interested. I just re-sorted my records by artist, but chronological by the earliest recording I own of the artist. It's going to be a freaking mess, but is also interesting to see what was happening at the same time and understand my music chronologically rather than by genre. Also - I desegregated my music!

Doesn't everyone file their albums chronologically within artists?

I've been doing that since high school.

Ya, but I used to have things separated by genre - rock, blues, soul, jazz... now I've got Miles next to Buddy Holly and Smokey Robinson (circa 58). It's a glorious mess.

Oh you broke up the artists and everything is just chronological? That's almost as crazy as autobiographical! 

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard great scene

mistercharlie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 28, 2017, 09:07:43 AM
I'm alphabetical in the living room, but I'm out of space there, so the largest "collections" are back in my office. What that means is that any artist that takes up more than a foot of shelf space has their own section in my office. That includes the Beatles, Neil Young, Dylan, GD, Phish, plus all Daptone releases, all compilations, and a section for anything out of New Orleans. Nina Simone is on the verge of making the move back soon... and I'm about to create a Texas section back there similar to the New Orleans section.

My living room shelves are full too. However I am planning on moving the stuff I rarely to never listen to rather than the larger collections. We just got our first IKEA here in Indy so I think I'm going to pick up a Kalex to put in the batcave.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

Quote from: shoreline99 on November 29, 2017, 10:15:18 AM
Anyone have a good source for a Gorillaz/Demon Days vinyl? Only thing I can find is a bootleg issue from England and a limited edition VMP on discogs.

VinylMePlease has them for sale for members again.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on December 29, 2017, 08:42:43 PM
Anyone have a good source for a Gorillaz/Demon Days vinyl? Only thing I can find is a bootleg issue from England and a limited edition VMP on discogs.

Hmmm, but Moby. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Hicks on December 29, 2017, 10:22:30 PM

Hmmm, but Moby.

You can switch out the Moby record for the Gorillaz record if you sing up for a membership. VMP always lets you switch out that months record if you don't want it.

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on December 30, 2017, 07:05:56 AM
Quote from: Hicks on December 29, 2017, 10:22:30 PM

Hmmm, but Moby.

You can switch out the Moby record for the Gorillaz record if you sing up for a membership. VMP always lets you switch out that months record if you don't want it.

Ahh right, forgot about that!
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

August

I signed up for the month to get Play.
It's re-recorded and reminds when of when I was banging this really tall chick back in college.

Hicks

Quote from: August on December 30, 2017, 03:29:41 PM
I signed up for the month to get Play.
It's re-recorded and reminds when of when I was banging this really tall chick back in college.

It's aight, but I've got an OG and even a couple of the 12"s, there are mixes by Mike D and Mario C. 

August

Nice!
There was a RE Import last year that I just never got around to getting.
Price was a little steep, but this seems like a good time to scoop it.

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on December 27, 2017, 08:31:46 PM
Wife and kid are out of town, put the headband on and started re-organizing the records...

Jazz was previously sorted by label, switching to artist.  Anyone have any recommendations for dividers I can use for sorting?  Thinking of grouping the Misc Jazz artists into like A-C, C-F, etc.

Bags Unlimited is usually my go-to for this kind of stuff.  Finally got some sleeves big enough for my box sets and 3LP 4LP sets. See if any of these might work for you:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/298/lp-record-divider-cards

Caravan2001

This friend of mine in VT was like "hey I have all these records, I know you have a record player.  Want me to send them to you?"  I said sure, so last night a box showed up, kinda half open, with zero padding and 25 records inside. Just thrown in a box.  Can't believe they made it.  Almost all of it was/is junk: Linda Ronstadt, Olivia Newton John, Carole King.  All $1 records.  But there were a few decent things even though they are not in the best shape.  Got 5 Moody Blues albums, which brings my total Moody Blues collection to 5, got a 1971 Who's Tommy with Philharmonic Orchestra (have never heard this) and I guess the best thing that made it worth it in the end is a pretty cool 1971 Abbey Road with some cool variations (cover photo is blown up, Her Majesty not listed on jacket, etc.)  It's like a $20 record on Discogs so pretty happy with that.  Just need to figure out to do with the 20 garbage records.  I probably have 100 $1 records I just need to take to Goodwill. 

mistercharlie

My Mother-in-law always gets me Half Price Books gift cards as gifts. I went today and used what was left from my birthday gift card and my new xmas gift card. I picked up some pretty nice stuff.

CSNY - Déjà vu (1970 Record Club pressing)
Neil Young - After The Gold Rush (w/original lyrics poster)
Little Feat - Time Loves a Hero (original pressing)
Stanley Clarke - I Want To Play For You  (a live album featuring: George Duke, Stan Getz, Jeff Beck & More)
The Black Keys - The Big Come Up (Starburst Colored vinyl)

I also grabbed a few comics in TPB form, but that's for  another thread.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 05, 2018, 11:16:34 AM
  Got 5 Moody Blues albums, which brings my total Moody Blues collection to 5,

I hate the Moody Blues more than the Dude hates the Eagles. Dead serious. Any time a Moody Blues song comes on the radio I change it immediately. They make me want to die.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul