News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

I know this is technically a Netflix thread, but for anyone who has Amazon Prime, I'd highly recommend The Man in the High Castle.  I'm about halfway through season two and it's great.  It's based on the book of the same name by Philip K. Dick (which I haven't read, so I can't comment on how the show holds up to it). 

It takes place in the '60s, in an alternate history where the axis powers won the war.  The eastern half of America is now the Greater Nazi Reich, and the western portion is now the Japanese Pacific States, with a small neutral zone running in between the two.  Most of the main protagonists are members of, or caught up within, a resistance movement who circulate news reels of an alternate reality in which the Allied Forces won.  The person responsible for these underground films is known as "The Man in the High Castle."

It's a well-written, fast-paced thriller with plenty of mysteries and a dash of sci-fi.  If you can, do yourself a favor and give it an episode or two.  You'll be hooked.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: ytowndan on December 26, 2016, 11:54:45 PM
I know this is technically a Netflix thread, but for anyone who has Amazon Prime, I'd highly recommend The Man in the High Castle.  I'm about halfway through season two and it's great.  It's based on the book of the same name by Philip K. Dick (which I haven't read, so I can't comment on how the show holds up to it). 

It takes place in the '60s, in an alternate history where the axis powers won the war.  The eastern half of America is now the Greater Nazi Reich, and the western portion is now the Japanese Pacific States, with a small neutral zone running in between the two.  Most of the main protagonists are members of, or caught up within, a resistance movement who circulate news reels of an alternate reality in which the Allied Forces won.  The person responsible for these underground films is known as "The Man in the High Castle."

It's a well-written, fast-paced thriller with plenty of mysteries and a dash of sci-fi.  If you can, do yourself a favor and give it an episode or two.  You'll be hooked.

I loved season one. Have not had a chance to dive into season two yet, but I'm looking forward to it, for sure.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Season two is our our todo list as well.
Loved season one.

ph92

Quote from: PGLHAH on December 27, 2016, 11:11:54 AM
Quote from: ytowndan on December 26, 2016, 11:54:45 PM

I loved season one. Have not had a chance to dive into season two yet, but I'm looking forward to it, for sure.
We use Amazon Prime at work and I always see ad's for it.

I think I'll read the book first though, I love Phillip K Dick.

On a side note, you guys should watch Shameless! William H Macy plays a fantastic deadbeat alcoholic father of a family who lives in Southside Chicago. I've been binge watching this show recently
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

WhatstheUse?

Ya know, I haven't dug into shameless much.

Not sure why, cuz William H. Macy is the shizznit!
Bring in the dude!

anthrax

Shameless is hilarious!  We're starting up the most recent season now.

ytowndan

I've been thinking about re-watching Shameless now that it's up on Netflix (they used to only have the original UK version, which I couldn't get into).

I thought the most recent season was the best one in a while, and it got me in the mood go back to the early stuff that I haven't seen in years.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

ph92

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 03, 2017, 06:02:24 PM
Ya know, I haven't dug into shameless much.

Not sure why, cuz William H. Macy is the shizznit!
Do it! It's totally worth it.

I haven't decided what I'm watching next though. I might be coming to this thread more often.
Make America Melt Again!

zimbra

The GF and I recently started watching Shameless on Netflix for the first time.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Bobafett

Jiro dreams of sushi and sour grapes are the last two documentaries I've watched that pertain to my field.  Love the chefs table too.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

mbw

All this talk of Shameless and no mention of Emmy Rossum naked in every episode?
Well, at least that is what I hear.  I never make it past her pulling her panties down in the opening credits.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mbw on January 05, 2017, 10:35:21 AM
All this talk of Shameless and no mention of Emmy Rossum naked in every episode?
Well, at least that is what I hear.  I never make it past her pulling her panties down in the opening credits.

it's not every episode - but yes. Emmy Rossum is the best!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PGLHAH on January 05, 2017, 10:38:16 AM

Perfect tatas.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

ph92

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on January 05, 2017, 12:07:23 PM
Quote from: PGLHAH on January 05, 2017, 10:38:16 AM

Perfect tatas.
OMG, I love her titties. Also dat ass
Make America Melt Again!

rowjimmy