News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Your Trip Is Short.....

Started by Superfreakie, March 25, 2012, 01:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: danje on March 25, 2014, 09:59:09 AM
Quote from: Mr. Natural on March 08, 2014, 11:01:31 AM
NatGeo's COSMOS:A SPACETIME ODYSSEY series starts tomorrow night.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/cosmos-a-spacetime-odyssey/

"Hosted by renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, COSMOS will explore how we discovered the laws of nature and found our coordinates in space and time. It will bring to life never-before-told stories of the heroic quest for knowledge and transport viewers to new worlds and across the universe for a vision of the cosmos on the grandest scale. COSMOS will invent new modes of scientific storytelling to reveal the grandeur of the universe and re-invent celebrated elements of the legendary original series, including the Cosmic Calendar and the Ship of the Imagination. The most profound scientific concepts will be presented with stunning clarity, uniting skepticism and wonder, and weaving rigorous science with the emotional and spiritual into a transcendent experience."

This show is everything you ever wished for in a space documentary. Amazing visuals. It's on every Sunday on Fox at 9pm or you can stream them here: http://www.cosmosontv.com/ . Next week is when they start to get into the really trippy/Einstein type stuff.

Yeah, the last two weeks have been a little disappointing, IMO. Too much life on Earth, not enough trippy/Einstein type stuff. But I agree the visuals and the simplicity of explaining inordinately complex ideas are on point. I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

Also, I don't know if it's still there but the original series used to be on Netflix. Now that's a must see for "amazing" visuals (you know, for the 80s).
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mbw

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mbw

rowjimmy

Neil has been slaying some muthafuckin dragons with his show.

My kids love it.

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/06/hubble-just-released-the-best-image-of-our-universe-yet/

QuoteTurn a telescope towards a seemingly empty section of sky and leave the shutter open. As light millions or even billions of years old pours in, the dark sky gets brighter. Leave the shutter open long enough and you’ll get a picture of thousands upon thousands of galaxies. From 2003 to 2009, this is exactly what the Hubble Telescope did, producing one of astronomy’s most famous images, the “Hubble Ultra Deep Field.”

Today, the Hubble Telescope has done it again, only now with an accumulated exposure time of nine whole years and a new wavelength of light.

\

PIE-GUY

rowjimmy

Quote from: PG on June 05, 2014, 01:46:51 PM
Yeah, the Hubble's cool and all, but the Mothership is going in the Smithsonian!

http://www.npr.org/2014/06/04/318544801/well-all-right-starchild-the-mothership-is-back

The woman in the time-lapse with long hair & purple shirt is my friend Gina.

PIE-GUY

runawayjimbo

Friendly reminder that we kinda suck at seeing things that could kill us all.

http://rt.com/news/164024-beast-asteroid-flying-over-earth/

Gigantic 'Beast' asteroid flying by Earth (VIDEO)

A massive asteroid roughly the size of an entire football stadium that was discovered only months ago is passing by the Earth this week, with professional and amateur astronomers alike having the best chance to watch the flyover on Thursday.

Officially named Asteroid 2014 HQ124, the giant hunk of space mass has been nicknamed the Beast because, at an estimated size of over 1,000 feet wide, it is roughly the size of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. Initial estimates guessed that the body's diameter was between 400 to 900 meters (1,312 to 2,953 feet), although NASA's NEOWISE has determined the Beast is closer to 325 meters. (The meteor that exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia measured between 17 to 20 meters in diameter.)

An object of such size could obviously pose a huge threat to Earth, although the Beast will fly no closer to the planet than 3.2 lunar distances (roughly equivalent to 716,500 miles). It would only take an object of about 100 feet wide to be destructive to Earth, according to Wired magazine.

For all of its size, the Beast was only detected on April 23. The NASA Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer discovered the Beast flying at approximately 31,000 mph (50,400 kilometers per hour) through space upon examining a fixed backdrop of the star system.

"What's disconcerting is that a rocky/metallic body this large, and coming so very close, should have only first been discovered this soon before its nearest approach," Bob Berman, an astronomer with Internet astronomy outreach venture Slooh, told National Geographic. "HQ214 is at least 10 times bigger, and possibly 20 times, than the asteroid that injured a thousand people last year in Chelyabinsk, Siberia."

"If it were to impact us, the energy released would be measured not in kilotons like the atomic bombs that ended World War II, but in H-bomb type megatons," he continued. "It will be interesting indeed to watch Slooh track and image this substantial intruder as it passes less than a million miles of us, at a speed 17 times greater than that of a high speed rifle bullet."

The Beast marks one of the first major asteroids to pass by Earth since NASA and Slooh partnered earlier this year in an agreement that makes it possible for more citizen scientists to become involved with scouring outer space for asteroids flying near Earth. While large objects like the Beast make headlines, countless smaller asteroids and bodies fly over Earth every day unnoticed.

"While astronomers believe we have spotted 90 percent of the potentially dangerous asteroids that are 1,000 feet wide or bigger," Wired reported, "they estimate that we have detected only 30 percent of the objects that are around 460 feet wide and just 1 percent of the objects the size of the Beast."

A Slooh video of the flyover is included below:
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Superfreakie

Whoa! That nuts.

and this sentence doesn't make any sense:

Quote"While astronomers believe we have spotted 90 percent of the potentially dangerous asteroids that are 1,000 feet wide or bigger," Wired reported, "they estimate that we have detected only 30 percent of the objects that are around 460 feet wide and just 1 percent of the objects the size of the Beast."

The Beast was over a thousand feet wide...
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

emay